Web hosting recommendation.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Mike Boeh, Jan 5, 2007.

1. realtime44

realtime44 New Member

000webhost

Hi everyone,
    I actually decided to give 000webhost a try, it's free right, so what the heck. After using there services for about 5 days, I can report that they are quite good. Not perfect, but quite good.
    The only thing that bothers me about it is the fact that they do not provide an SMTP server address to send mail from.
    Other than that though, it's legit and works well!

Happy site building,
    RT

2. Escapee

Original Member

I just switched one of my small sites to Liquidweb host. The speed/response time is simply amazing. I should have moved to LW much earlier.

3. johnson0007

johnson0007 Guest

I have read your details.I have created a website but my problem is to host it. I don't know how to host the site. I have tried it many time but I am failed. Have any one good suggestion about it.
    Weekend Getaways From Delhi

4. Artinum

Original Member

I'm another 1&1 customer, starting with just the domain name and upgrading to the basic package some years ago. They've always been excellent, and on the rare occasions something has gone weird on me they've responded quickly and efficiently.

5. mahishihip00

mahishihip00 New Member

I have created a site which I want to host so I want to know how to host this site. Has anyone good details about this.
    shimla tour packages

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

We switched to Liquid Web 2 weeks ago before Endless Empires launches. It cost me an hour of local support from a server savvy friend and we have been up and running on our dedicated server with no hitches since. I love having the peace of mind that if we have spikes in traffic I only have to worry about code breaking in those weird, only happens once in 500 times sorts of bugs and not about the server lagging just as we get going.

7. Nexic

Indie Author

This is kinda what I thought when I got my first dedicated machine, of course didn't take long before I was proven wrong. Make 100% sure that the various configs (mysql, apache etc) are setup right for the hardware you have otherwise it could easily perform worse than a VPS in a high-ish traffic situation. And don't forget, the only way to have true peace of mind is to use something highly scalable like Google App Engine.

8. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thanks for the advice - I'd love to be having the kind of traffic you are. The fundamental difference is that I am making turn based games so my server load is way, way different than yours because I'm responding to single events whenever a user ponders a move and then clicks the mouse. I am planning a zombie map though...

9. Ruth Bugembe

Ruth Bugembe New Member

I have been using HostDime for almost a year

I have been using HostDime for almost a year and am not complaining. I am have none to compare with cz this is new business for me

10. NekoAthena

NekoAthena New Member

Hi everyone, just starting out, and this might not belong here, but would a service like LiquidWeb dedicated servers be a good idea for hosting our actual live online game, or should we look into buying out own server? I'd like to avoid that in the beginning if I could, because we have no idea how much we'll be bringing in and also, we live in Ohio, so the internet even at highest tier is terrible.

11. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I know the previous owners of this site used Liquid Web for a while, but I can't speak about it as a game server. I plan on using Linode for my current MMO project (if it ever gets released).

12. NekoAthena

NekoAthena New Member

Since the servers are Linux-based, I'm assuming we would need to know Linux to use Linode? Our game would be Java based, but none of us know Linux as of yet.

13. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I'm in the same boat but it's pretty easy to Google the commands that you needed to get things going.

14. ragortue

ragortue New Member

Hi guys, how about for this year? Which host do you think has the most affordable VPS package and with an "okay" tech support assistance? [​IMG]

15. MKerogazov

MKerogazov New Member

I had to have a dedicated server for my game and after a long research I settled on Hostgator. I had some basic plan with them and it was OK, but I was quite a bit worried about going serious as dedicated servers costs much more than $5.95 a month. I had to have a Windows Server as well as my game is in C#, so all gazillions of other providers fell out automatically as not that many people are offering what I needed... So far, I'm pretty much happy with them. I managed to squeeze my order in three days that had a super promotion of 50% off all packages and now enjoying quite a decent server for just a half a price.

All interfaces are good and easy to learn and use. Access to the server is good as well. And technical support is very decent. I had one bad run when I encountered a very dull techie, who wasted over an hour of my time without understanding what I was trying to do, but other hundreds were either good, very good, and some even exceptional.

Stability is somewhere between Fine and Good as I can see that sometimes webserver may not be responsive for a few seconds and up to a minute or two, but that doesn't happen often, disruption is so insignificant, none of my clients complained about it, so it doesn't actually worth time to investigate.

All in all - recommended ;)

16. jlv

jlv New Member

I was on Hostgator and eventually had to leave because it started dropping connections on long downloads. I was foolishly using it to host my main page and demo downloads and it probably cost me thousands in lost sales.

Also, if you need mysql Hostgator is nearly useless. I guess that goes without saying for shared hosting though.

17. Rekusi

Indie Author

I am another GoDaddy advocate. Ive been using them since the mid 2000s, and they have always been reliable.

18. andrewray

andrewray New Member

If you're comfortable setting up your own server, Heroku, AWS, or Digital Ocean all offer cheap solutions.

GoDaddy not recommended as they're a shady company.