web design feedback: Positech Games

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by cliffski, Nov 12, 2008.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

2. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Think I prefer the white background. Not so sure about the stripey, one pixel lines, for the wallpaper though.

Does the no DRM badge mean your games don't have any DRM?

3. Christian

Original Member

Its all too close together, try a little bit more of separation between your company name and the games below, also try adding more space between the text at the bottom and the games above. Try also moving the menu to the left, it will make the image stand out more by itself. Try also making the logo smaller and giving it more space to breath, and see if it looks better.

Nice change overall, blackness makes you look evil :D (like a warez site)

4. cliffski

5. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I'd say the biggest problem I see with the design (old and new) is that it's not very conventional. And by that I mean that the navigation menu doesn't look like a conventional menu nor is it placed as usual. Also, you see lots of images, big, small, rectangular, square.. but it's hard to see at first that each one belongs to a game, and it's a link to it. Maybe going with a more standard layout would help:

Logo and corporate header
    -------------------------------
    navigation menu all on the same horizontal line
    1, 2 or 3 featured/newest games, with a bigger image, and a header explaining just that: Featured Games or something like that.
    Smaller images and text for other less relevant games
    Footer

6. lakibuk

Indie Author

I like the new style a lot more.
    Would it be possible to make some kind of hover effect when the mouse is over one of the 3 big game graphics (for D2,K2 and RL) ? E.g. darker or border around selected game.
    Otherwise it might feel like one big image.

7. Cray

Cray New Member

I think it's a great change so far!

The graphics look better with the subtitles removed, but I have to agree it could be confusing that they're games. My suggestion would be to change the text/font used at the bottom. It's kind of hard to read all capitalized like that. You might also want to put a light yellow (or other colored) background around the newsletter area to draw attention to it.

8. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

AAAHH zeee horrooorr... :D

Actually its better than the old ...

But I've got to admit, the one pixel lines... humn... try a couple of diagonals or just do a Kudos2 Backgroud (with some sort of sepia effect or old photo B&W) fading into the background (I know second screenshot doens have the lines).

And the pictures are to close together still I think, the whole site becomes a bit confusing at least the first couple of times looking at it...

Looks a bit packed with fotos... why not have the affiliate games in the rigth section of the page in a column or two?

9. cliffski

10. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Though I prefer darker backgrounds for the sake of my own eyes, I agree that the lighter version is much better overall for customers eyes.

11. Pyabo

Original Member

Yep, white version for sure.

Try even more spacing between the elements.

12. Christian

Original Member

The older arrangement was better imho.

I think the text that was at the bottom should remain at the bottom, there was no reason to move it.

What i was thinking with the menu in my first post was to leave the logo at the left where it was, not move the logo, just move the menu so its closer to the logo, to its right. And make the logo smaller, you dont need to make it so big to make it stand out more, if you make it smaller it will contrast with more white space around it and it will be more easy to see, and it will look better, imho.

I like the change of size in the democracy 2 banner though.

The thing you could do with the text at the bottom is to NOT make it as wide, but to put it into a thiner column with plenty of white space to its sides.

And you could change the No Drm grahpics stripes to red, or simply put "NO DRM".

I would also add a little more space in all the spaces between objects and margins, so its not all so tight. Everything looks soo big and there is no space to "breath", i would make the text in the banners smaller, there is no need for such bigness happening so many times, and i would arrange it into a jerarchy of sizes, where the most important text is bigger, otherwise there is too much competition in sizes. I mean to arrange the proportions of the text into somethig like this:

POSITECH GAMES

Support
    Other
    And more

Democracy 2
    The ultimate thing

Kudos 2
    The life simulator

Rock Legend
    Can you make the music?

"Text of the copy where you explain in some sort of details some of the characteristics of the way you deal with your products."

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Adding more space isn't a good choice. Could be from a visual point of view, but since you have the site to sell games, is important that all elements (games) are visible without scrolling too much. On my 1280x1024 screensize I can see all the products without scrolling, so I'd say this one is the best.
    You could say it's impossible but I've done A/B tests and the games I sell more are the one on the TOP on the page (so I've arranged my game so that the best converting ones are on the top, while I put affiliate/less converting one on bottom).

14. electronicStar

Original Member

I like the clean aspect of the logo and site menu ,but IMO it needs a little more contrast in the colors to match with the heavy contrast in the game pictures. I would use a pastel color for the background and a darker color for the text (but in the same tone as the background)
    Also it would be benefit from a better and antialiased font, like the one used in "KUDOS 2"
    I definitely don't like the "positech games" font.
    And you should make the links (forums, support,etc...) with pictures instead of text, this way you could use a custom font.

15. Jamie W

I think I prefered the older version too, but no so old as the version that had the one pixel stripe wallpaper.

One thing I notice visually about the site, is how it's like all in a box (with a one pixel black border). It makes it feel kinda isolated from the background. Another, very minor gripe, is how the edges of the banners for the games, don't line up with the edges of the thumbs for affiliated games (and your own kudos 1 and democracy 1, and did you do the starship game too?). Anyhoo, the edges don't line it (it may be a small point, but I'm quite picky on things like that).

Hope that's constructive! :)

16. Acord

Acord New Member

honestly, I'm not a fan of either one. If I had to choose, I'd say the black looks better.

Black is oppressive however - the reason I think it looks better is because the border isn't as noticable. Get rid of the border and let your page breathe! Use the white main part with a white background and ditch the box.

17. rioka

rioka New Member

The first impression I got from quickly glancing at the text on the upper right was "seo words". It basically reminded me of those blocks of keywords all typed out found at the bottom of some web sites. Also, reading it is kind of hard. It's one thing to have buttons that are all caps but to have a whole paragraph... :\

18. Ciardhubh

Ciardhubh New Member

The all-caps paragraph had a similar effect on me. I thought it was some kind of legal disclaimer, which basically means: DON'T READ ME!

The no-DRM sign may be a bit off-putting. A circle with a diagonal line usually means something is forbidden. Associations with such a sign might not be positive if you only take a quick glance at the web site. I wouldn't put the "legal gibberish" and "forbidden sign" so prominently on the site.

Also, the copyright notice uses another font than the rest of the site and the horizontal bar has a thicker line width than the border.

19. Jamie W

Cliffski; the thing with the border (as Acord puts it, get rid and let your page breathe), well, you should take a look at Cas' puppygames site. Which I think makes excellent use of space, and there's no clostraphobic (sp?) feeling, with everything being squeezed in to a little box.

On the plus side, what I like about the site, is the hotizontal banners linking to your games. I think that works well, as is quite unique to your site (haven't seen anyone else do that).

20. poogg

poogg New Member

Really impressed

I like it. Its all there, fresh (I like the white) tops games presented really well. There is one thing id change. I would change "small one man games company" to "small games company" makes it look bigger . . . whithout actually lieing ;)

I'm really impressed. Good luck

Rich