Web 3D: Away3D (Flash) vs Unity3D vs ???

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Nutter2000, Jul 1, 2010.

1. oNyx

Original Member

>[Director] has around 50% adoption rate iirc doesn't it?

IIRC its penetration rate used to be at about 75%, but it's surely declining.

Lingo doesn't look like the nicest language to use. There also aren't many resources available.

AFAIK there also aren't any free development tools.

2. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Yes, I went and found the official stats I'd seen
    http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/shockwaveplayer/
    The headline says 52%, the graph actually says 47%.

I had to dig deep into Adobe's "Other Products" section to find anything about it.
    It's like Adobe's embarrassing love-child or something :D

Also the "latest" news on the official Adobe Shockwave page is from 2005 and is about being compatible with Mac OS 10.4. Had to laugh.

That's 3 strikes and out I think

3. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I wrote 1 shockwave application a few years ago and I can honestly say I hate Lingo and have added shockwave to my personal 'blacklist' :mad:

4. vjvj

Indie Author

Yeah I think one major problem with Shockwave 3D is the lack (or perceived lack) of attention it gets from Adobe.

5. hippocoder

Indie Author

It should be noted that soon, chrome will run unity without a plugin. Thats kind of interesting.

Plugin penetration on the google platform will be something to watch...

6. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

So I read this thread and the others about Unity and thought "what the hell, I'll check it out, it's got a free version, right?"

So I download it and install it. All good so far. Then I run it and I get a message that says something to the effect of "Unity requires 4 {blah blah blah}'s (I forget now what it said and I'm not home at the moment) to run and your video card only has one. Any video card made after 2002 should be sufficient to run Unity" and then that's it, it goes away and no Unity interface or anything.

So I'm sitting there staring at my monitor in disbelief and thinking "well how pathetic is THAT that I haven't gotten a new PC in over EIGHT YEARS?" No wonder it's so damn slow! Time for a new one, I guess, huh guys?

Anyway I digress... carry on. :)

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

You really haven't got a new PC?

8. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Much of what you say about Shockwave 3D is true.

A few years ago, i still would have recommended it but not anymore. I thought there was some hope when Adobe took over but they're treating it like an neglected step-child just as Macromedia did. They haven't published any long-term roadmaps and their in-development features & plans are kept secret compared to Adobe's other products.

The physics engine has been updated recently, which is actually quite nice. But the overall engine really hasn't been updated since 2002. There used to be a ton of resources and tutorials by the community but they've dwindled over the years as Adobe/Macromedia neglected the product.

Director is still good for cross-platform 2D casual games. Some of the top casual games still use Director. And for awhile, Shockwave 3D was still a good cross-platform 3D engine but now Unity feature-wise blows it out of the water and the plugin penetration is rapidly increasing.

Still, Shockwave's penetration is nothing to sneeze at. ~50% is pretty good and that percentage is higher among game players. But if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of Shockwave 3D, then it's probably not worth it at this point. My current 3D Web MMO is probably my last Shockwave project.

I just found it ironic that Shockwave started web 3D yet it has almost zero visibility in the developer community nowadays considering it's technically still an active product.

9. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

No. New PC's are for people with money. I was told that money isn't everything, so I chose to be married and have some children instead.

In retrospect, I think I chose poorly. :cool:

10. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Rofl!

Apparently the same applies with sleep.:D
    <-- new dad.