Washington Indie Pizza Night - Feb 5, 2005

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Mark Fassett, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

So it's time for another Indie Pizza Night... This time, it's gonna be in Lynwood at Alfy's Pizza. They accept all competitors coupons, so if you've got some juicy ones, bring 'em.

How to get there (well - a map, at least)
    http://www.alfyspizza.com/maps/lynnwood.htm

Date: Feb 5
    Time: 6:00pm

Yes - we keep moving it around. It's more fun that way. Next time, we'll move it a little further south.

2. Cartman

Indie Author

Can't make this one. Wife's birthday. She let me get out of our anniversary one time to come to this, but I'm not pushing my luck again.

Have fun guys!

3. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'll be there barring any medical emergencies ;)

4. donmc

Original Member

hello,
    requirements for indie pizza night? i'm new to these forums, but would like to attend.
    ~don

5. Dan MacDonald

Well it would help if you liked to talk about indie games :) that's about it. Of the 6 or so people who attend regularly there are varying levels of expirence. From people who have shipped titles to people who are working on their first.

6. mcopley

Original Member

I'd actually like to attend my first pizza night as I've heard about it from a friend of mine [ Evertt ] that has gone to it. I was even hoping to bring a build of my current game project with me someday, but I don't think it is quite ready for public consumption just yet :) How would I know how to find you guys?

MC

7. Dan MacDonald

Just look for a group of guys who are obviously programmers, we don't have any formal way of finding eachother.

I'm usually not too hard to spot, I'm about 6'5 with a rather red goatee on my chin.

Here's a recent photo of me and #3...

Dan & Asher

8. Gnatinator

Original Member

Hey, Im just above the border to you guys :D

I seriously need to attend one of these once im established.

Maybe next time ;)

9. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

I think I'm finall going to be able to make it this time...

Would it be good or bad form to bring my laptop with a build of my game to show you guys?

Looking foward to meeting you...

-Hiro_Antagonist

10. Dan MacDonald

It's always a good time to bring your laptop and show off, both mark and I have done it on several occasions. We all like checking out what everyone is working on.

Gnatinator: I was born in Vancouver B.C. and lived in Richmond for about 15 years before moving to the states...

11. Pyabo

Original Member

Who the heck lives in Lynnwood? :p

12. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Heh - no one that I know, but I swear someone was coming down from Everett... or maybe that was just confusion with Jeff's last name :)

13. mcopley

Original Member

I was referring to Jeff, not the city :) Sorry for the confusion guys. I would prefer Woodinville but I'll make the trek to Lynnwood.

Mike

14. donmc

Original Member

alright i'll be there.
    ~don

15. Dan MacDonald

Well we had a turn out of 6 again this week mark and I and 4 new guys. It was pretty interesting with the talk turning once again to MMORPGs. Why is it that we can't avoid this topic. I think it's because deep down every indie has an MMO/RPG idea in their back pocket...

Anyway, once thing I feel needs to be said. There are no pre-requisites for indie pizza night other then a passion for making your own games. Weather you are working on the next great MMORPG, a 3D fighting game, a published title, or even a flat out straight up bejeweled clones... all are welcome. We aren't going to judge you or think you're insane. We might ask some pointed questions to better understand your approach but we all realize this is about following our passions. If your passion is bejeweled or WoW it doesn't really matter. Indie pizza night is where you get to talk about what keeps you up at night.

16. John Rush

Original Member

Glad you had a good turn-out. Sorry I was not able to attend tonight, but I look forward to next month.

17. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Hey guys -- thanks for throwing this and I'm super glad I came. I hope to see all of you again next time!

And sorry to leave in a rush, but I was already quite late when I left. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist

18. donmc

Original Member

yes, thanks for the great meeting. look forward to the next one.
    regards,
    don

19. Dan MacDonald

So Travis, I know you're out there lurking... make an account! :)

20. Travis Dorschel

Original Member

Uncle, uncle! (Rubs sore twisted arm while making an account:))

Ok, I will lurk no more. Indie night was awesome, thanks to Hiro for the sweet demo. Thanks Mark and Dan also for the Lua scripting reference, looks like it is exactly what I was looking for. I have already begun to integrate it into my existing engine. I hope to be a regular for these meetings so see you next month!