Want to start making "shoe money"

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Swattkidd, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Hmm my personal experience says otherwise... if wasn't for those two things, I wouldn't be here where I'm now :)

2. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Its probably true of the appstore/iphone market. I remember simon carless last year saying the profits from those platforms are like 1 million or 0 (in relative terms) for some reason it being a massively hit based system.

With other platforms it seemed there was far more middle ground.

3. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

@Jasmine, thanks that pretty much sums it up.

@moose2000, I will definitely have to check out those competitions and contests, kind of like scholarship hunting. And I understand the fact that it is not linear but I do believe there are some genres that do better amongst casual gamers and do better on portals and what not right? That could be a kind of way to gauge which games to tackle in order to just make a few $$ a month.

@GDI, good luck on your project but the way my projects go I do not think I am ready to invest any money at all just yet. Also, I have noticed that it is not really about who you are anymore as much as it is how lucky you get with being featured in what not, although puppygames seems like the kind of place where the 1000 true fans may apply, although im not sure.

but thanks a lot to all of you guys for the responses, it has helped me see different perspectives and what not and it really does show by the wide array of responses that there is never a way to just make money, everyone achieves it differently. I guess I just have to make something I think I can make in a decent amount of time and feel people will play it.

Also I guess it depends greatly on the type of game it is as to where to put it (flash, iphone, download, etc).

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Good luck Swattkidd! I've been able to make what you call shoe money from downloadable games, but never gave the flash market a try. You'll hear success stories and horror stories, but I think it comes down to making the best and most fun game you can possibly make (as opposed to the quickest to make) and you have a good chance to make your shoe money.

5. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I can imagine portals are likely to give a critical review of your games, and you may end up having to fit in with what they want in order to get your games hosted by them.

If making games is a pleasure for you, I wouldn't want it to stop being a pleasure. It could be disheartening if your games are rejected, and unrewarding if you then choose to become subservient to the will of the portal owners.

So I think : Make sure you enjoy whatever you choose to do, as that is worth more to you than anything shoe money can buy :)

#25 Jasmine, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. andrew

andrew New Member

Flash. Make a good game, and it's easy to get a $1000+ sponsorship (that's a year of "shoe money"). The trick is the "good game" part.

My best advice would be to watch the front pages of various flash portals (Kongregate, Newgrounds, Armor, etc) and get a real feel for what gets front-paged, be very honest with yourself re: quality, then use FGL to get bids.

Note: a "small" game still needs to be "fully polished"

- andrew

7. JGOware

Indie Author

It's "easy" to make 1000.00, just make a "good game". hmm. .that sounds a bit conflicting. ;)

8. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

It's very easy to get at least $200 in sponsorship for a fairly simple Flash game, as long as it doesn't completely suck. Of the two I've released and the one I'm about to release, I got $200, $175 and $600. In all those cases, that works out to somewhere between $3-8/hr. for the amount of honest, full-on effort I put in (not counting e.g. playing my own game for six hours straight and convincing myself that I'm "testing"). So, not a great way to make a living, but if your goal is to make games and get some "shoe money," it's probably the way to go. Downloadables, there's a minimum level of polish you need before you can make one cent, plus you have to put effort in to sell them... Flash, you just finish the game, put it on FGL and take what you can get. Probably doesn't even have to look very nice if it's fun for five minutes and you're willing to settle for $100.

Also worth noting that I don't think I've even made $10 in ad money off the first two, even using CPMStar. Ad money = suck, unless you put out something that's getting millions of plays.

However, I've also been told, in pretty much all three cases, that with the quality I'm producing, if I was making games in "hot" genres for Flash, like shooters, platformers and tower defense, that I'd be getting significantly larger sponsorships...

I may try "selling out" with my next game and see what kind of difference it makes in sponsorship dough.

9. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Stupid question... when you guys are talking about getting $100, $200 from sponsors on FGL, is this to sell the game, IP, etc or is it a different arrangement?

10. JGOware

Indie Author

It's basically a "license" to put ads/links in the game. You own the ip ofcourse. 2 license types, "Primary" and "Exclusive". Primary allows you to sell licenses to other websites but the game is site locked to those sites, exclusive means that's the only income you will ever get from the game because only 1 website (sponsor) can license the game.

If making real money is your goal with Flash, then bigger and better games is where the money is now days. Shooter, defence, etc, perhaps only 2-3k per game if the game is very good. Action/adventure/rpg with lots of content on the other hand, have been doing well. With primary licenses being sold for 10-20-40k and up.

11. Swattkidd

Swattkidd New Member

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for the encouragement and advice its really helping out a lot and motivating me to just get out there and see what I can do. It probably will not be any time soon due to school but when I do end up finishing a game and go through the process of selling it or earning money I will be sure to post up my experiences and what not! It should be interesting!

12. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Really. Every time I start thinking these forums are becoming a complete waste of time, I get a particularly valuable tidbit like this. Might make me rethink where I'm going with my current effort.

Can you provide an example (or several examples) of a game that pulled in a five-figure sponsorship like this? I've always assumed that Flash gaming is all about "10 seconds to learn, fun for 10 minutes." I didn't think game length was much of a selling point.

What does "lots of content" mean in the Flash world? I assume we're still not talking about 20+ hour games. 1 hour? 2 hours? 5 hours?

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I've played some very good tower defense games for well over 20 hours :)

14. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Hell, I probably logged 20 hours on Amorphous+... my father's spent way more than that on my game, Oliver & the Basilisks (releasing in the next few days!). But those are infinitely replayable games. Is the length of a Flash RPG or other single-playthrough type game really measured by the same yardstick as a $20 downloadable?

15. andrew

andrew New Member

16. danhezee

danhezee New Member

steam birds $25,000 sponsorship + $2,000 bonus + $300 ad revenue

andymoore.ca