VS Fighter

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Lord_Garland, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Lord_Garland

Lord_Garland New Member

If anyone can remember One Must Fall 2097 it is some thing like what I want to create. A VS fighter game with a character advancement system like in a RPG. You become faster and more powerful over time as well as gaining new abilities.

Since there is a 10 meg limit on flash games for portals I can only have 5-6 or so characters in the game. Here we have the problem. How can I have the player fight the same characters over and over with with out the same content being over used.

In OMF 2097 each opponent operated a robot with a different paint job, stats, and pilot portrait. This system worked very well but I can not give my characters different paint jobs or portraits. They will likely have to be the same characters being fought over and over.

I'm in need of a way of mixing things up some how. Right now I'm short on ideas.

I believe good game design skills is the ability of making the best use of given resources and abilities. This is some thing I am lacking right now.

Any ideas are more then welcome.

Thank you for your time.

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

You can write a simple software rasterizer that prerenders a robot in bitmaps for each fight (you needs only two sets of bitmaps for each fight). Using the rasterizer you can use different bodypaint, textures, etc and the robots can be made of various meshes. In the worst case this wont need more than 1MB of downloadable data and you have a lot of combinations - much more than what you could have with prerendered images. And you can write the rasterizer in such a way that it will have bilinear filtering and antialiasing so it wont be noticable that its generated. Add some hierarchical animation (with robots you dont need proper skeletal animation) and you have everything you need.

At least thats what i would do.

3. Lord_Garland

Lord_Garland New Member

Thank you Bad Sector but I do not believe I can do that lol. At least at this point. My characters will be 2d prerendered sprites. I am using flash so that limits what I can do. As far as I know there isn't any way to do palettes adjustments like in old 2d games used to.

4. bbjones

bbjones New Member

Random thoughts...

- Can you add some story element that makes it seem appropriate to keep fighting the same guys?

- Keep "best of" stats going for each fighter "best 2 out of 3", then when the AI loses, he demands "best out of 5" and so on

- Can you create models that all interchange parts? Heads, torso, legs, arms (along with skins) to make as many combination fighters as possible?

- Make each model "families of clones" which is why you keep fighting ones that look the same...

5. Lord_Garland

Lord_Garland New Member

"- Can you create models that all interchange parts? Heads, torso, legs, arms (along with skins) to make as many combination fighters as possible?"

I have thought of doing that. However, every image in a flash file creates a symbol. The Symbol takes up 2k or some such about of space. Lots of little sprites like that add up to a lot of memory after 1000 have been added to the game.

But I like your ideas bbjones. They are what I'm looking for.

6. vjvj

Indie Author

Technically speaking, do you have the option of batching up animation frames into larger images and texturing from a subrect of that image? That should help cut down on the symbols by quite a bit if it's feasible. I'll ask my Flash dev buddy if any other ideas come to mind.

As for gameplay... I was a HUGE fighting game fan growing up, and I personally think 5-6 chars is too few and you should look for a technical solution to this problem to increase the count. Story mode is a fantastic and cool idea, but I don't think it will hide the fact that you have so few chars.

Other ideas:

Mirror match where you fight yourself is a given.

You can also do endurance rounds, where you fight two different characters (one after another) each round).

If you wanna go crazy you could implement a tag team mode to mix things up. It will require some real design work, but it might be fun depending on what you like to do.

I'll let you know what my friend says...

7. Spore Man

Indie Author

Agreed. You can start by not imitating OMF, which was a horrible game.

8. tolik

Original Member

9. Felblood

Felblood New Member

I think hear what you're trying to say, and I think I've got the solution.

You want to have the highly customisable speed/endurance/power/moveset/favored limb selection options that OMF had, but you don't want to have to pre-load a lot whole set of sprites/graphic for each moveset. The unresponsive controls and finicky combo detection, that Sporeman up there remembers with such distain, don't have to come with the ideas you actually want.

Here's my proposal: Instead of making players choose a moveset and a graphic set together, let them buy their moves, one at a time, without ever changing what they look like.

That way you can allow your player to upgade his combo list, without having to change his appearence every time he does.

This works best if the character graphics used are somewhat genaric, like ninjas or robots, so a wide variety of characters can reasonably be expected to look exeactly the same.

As a bonus, a player always goes into a fight, not knowing what moves his opponent has at his disposal. An online 2P VS mode in a game like that would be pretty cool, since a devious player could keep some of his comboes in reserve as a surprise for an opponent who thinks they only have 3 special moves bought.

The main drawback is that you have to give all of your "characters" graphics for all of the special moves, so making a bunch of characters becomes even more untenable, but compared to making a whole set of grphics for each moveset, I think this way comes out ahead.

10. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

If you're clever about recycling graphics, you don't even have to do that much... e.g. the psi blast can be the same as the fireball, but with a ColorMatrixFilter. The lightning grasp can use the same character animation as touch of death, but just with an added lightning animation around his open hand. Multistrike can just use the standard punch animation, but played at 5x the speed and repeated 5 times. And so on.