Vista Ready Dev Tools

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by 2dnoob, Feb 23, 2007.

1. 2dnoob

Original Member

Could everyone please any Vista ready dev tools?

I would also like to ask if any of the Blitz tools are Vista ready/compatible and if so, which ones?

Thanks.

2. Sybixsus

Original Member

As far as I know, there are no major issues with any of the Blitz products. Blitz3D games were working fine in the Vista beta. BlitzMax has had several new audio drivers added in the past few days to make it's audio more compatible in Vista ( Blitz3D used FMod - statically linked - for audio, but BlitzMax uses your choice of OpenAL, DirectSound and another )

BlitzMax's 3d-accelerated 2d stuff is done in DX7 or OpenGL, both are fine from what I've heard. There's a DX9 driver floating around somewhere too, if you were wanting that.

3. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

I can confirm that all of the Blitz products work well on the release version of Vista (as well as you could expect anything to run on Vista anyway).

4. JoKa

Indie Author

Multimedia Fusion 2 seems to run fine.

5. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

Game Maker 6.1 does not run on Vista; however Game Maker 7, due to be released sometime this month, does.

6. KNau

Original Member

MDM has "offically" updated their Zinc Flash projector software to be Vista compatible, although they say more updates are coming for some of the extended functions. Basic fullscreen Flash projectors like swfXXL that use Direct X to change screen resolution should still run fine.

7. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

There is a big difference between Vista Compatible and Vista Complaint. Technically, anything that writes to the applications directory is not Vista Complaint. But in reality, it works just fine through virtualization. It is Vista Compatible. I can’t understand why any software other then device drivers system utilities would not be Vista Compatible. Things like firewalls, antivurus programs, and anything that tries to hook into the system and modify it may not be compatible with vista. But any software application should be at least Vista Compatible if not Vista Complaint.

As a software developer, you should be tying to make sure the software you produce is Vista Complaint. But as a user, you should be able to run any Vista Compatible program including game development tools. It baffles my mind to try to image how Game Maker 6.1 could “not run on vista”. Wouldn’t it have to be doing some sneaky low level stuff to “not run”. If it is doing that, would you trust version 7? Or would you blame Microsoft for the changes? Has anyone tried to run Game Maker 6.1 on Vista? What happens? What API is Game Maker 6.1 that is no longer supported in Vista?

I am still in a state of denial about all the software that supposedly does not run in Vista. I have not experienced this. I see a lot of reports of things that are supposedly bad but when it comes to actually running software on Vista in my experience is that it just works.

If you hear that something is not Visa Complaint do not assume that it will not run in Vista.

8. soniCron

Indie Author

I tried switching to Vista a few weeks ago, but only a couple of my applications worked without a hitch. The rest either failed to run completely or had annoyances that made the switch less-than worthwhile.

Mind you, I'm running a whole slew of multimedia apps that most of you guys probably aren't, so your mileage may vary. (My compiler migrated with no problem, for example, but hell if I could get Premier to work right.)

Incidentally: James, did you not notice problems running Firefox?

9. 2dnoob

Original Member

Also before you "assume" it should or does work, make sure you try it on a retail PC installed with Vista. An XP upgraded to Vista will carry over existing dll's, system files, and some DirectX files that do not get installed on a retail PC equipped with Vista.

I've been doing some research and for instance, the DirectX 7,8 Visual Basic dll's are not included on a virgin Vista install.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1231805&SiteID=1

10. Greg Miller

Greg Miller New Member

It's always best to try completely clean installs. A virtual machine is great for stuff like this... install the OS on a disk image and try the game out to make sure there aren't any DLL dependencies you forgot to take care of.

11. Sybixsus

Original Member