Vista Compatibility

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by soniCron, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Phil Steinmeyer

Phil Steinmeyer
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Answering my own question - closer reading of the lengthy EULA shows that Vista RC 1 will apparently stop working 5/31/07.

2. Arex

Arex
    Expand Collapse

True. :)

Didn't check that out, apparently windows applications should be easy to port to Vista, might not even need to port. But older dx versions cannot be used in there.

Ya, as far as I heard the dx should be twice as fast. But what is the truth is a different thing. ;)

3. B_Level

B_Level
    Expand Collapse

Just curious as to wether anyones heard about Vista's compatibility with older version of DX. I've read mixed reviews - some say there will be no support (unlikely) while others say there will be minimal support. Just wondering what if anything you guys have heard.

4. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It should run a lot faster on the same hardware, just maybe not double-speed. AIUI it's due to removing the need for context switches or something, that are currently the reason that a simple draw triangle routine written in OGL is faster than its D3D equivalent.

5. Fost

Fost
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Phil, try comodo: http://www.instantssl.com/

We use them to code sign our installers. Make sure you timestamp it though as otherwise your old exes will expire in a year.

6. James C. Smith

James C. Smith
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

Windows Vista has enough DirectX support to run every DirectX game I ever wrote including the ones I wrote in 1996 using Dx2.

It also is happy to run programs written with Visual C 6 and I assume VB6.

I really don’t understand how people could believe that Microsoft would release a new version of Windows that wouldn't run programs that were written 6 years ago using the standard development tools and libraries supplied by Microsoft.

The sky is not falling! Windows Vista will run Win32 programs that were build with nearly any development tools old or new.

7. oNyx

oNyx
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

2x faster haha... certainly not. Say the fillrate is the bottleneck. No matter how much you improve anything else - the framerate will be the same.

I also read that games run infact about 10-15% slower. Well, it doesnt matter. The machines which run vista will be rather fast anyways (far from being 6 years old, which is a common target). Most likely with a pretty good graphics card on top. So, everything is alright from the performance pov.

8. Game Producer

Game Producer
    Expand Collapse

Dx10

"Games or programs which are built on Vista's version of DirectX, 10, will not work on prior versions of Windows, as DirectX 10 is not backwards-compatible with DirectX 9"
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=24636

AND

"There's also backward-support for DirectX 6, 7 and DirectDraw, and Vista will feature and extended version of Direct3D 9, known as D3D9Ex, that developers can play around with now."
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=24636

So DX7 games/apps do fine (check here for examples)
    http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=64511 - Blitz3D discussion

9. Sharpfish

Sharpfish
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I think the main concern is the usual windows niggles of where to correctly store user data, writing to the registry, installation paths and admin/limited account rights and all that. Basically if that has changed then a lot of us will need to re-write (small) portions of our code to "play nicely" with Vista.

That is certainly my concern and I would like info about that, I wasn't really worried about my core-code actually executing ok on Vista (though am ready and willing to look out for and correct the typical small anomolies).

10. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Expand Collapse

We didn't do anything special for the games themselves. All the games in my signature work fine on Vista RC2 (5744) using ptk's Direct3D 7 renderer that we've used since Fairies (we had updated Atlantis 1 to use D3D as well prior to even testing on Vista). Full framerate, no glitches, no crashes on exit or anything. On the other hand, OpenGL drops to software rendering on my test machine (Intel core duo + i915 chipset) which probably doesn't bode well for GL games on Vista.. Fortunately we use D3D by default.

We'll probably want to have our games signed to avoid scary warnings and we'll make 256x256 icons, but that's about it. As James said, Vista will run Windows applications, that's its whole point -- no need for a doomsday scenario.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

11. James C. Smith

James C. Smith
    Expand Collapse

Actually, Vista is much more forgiving in this respect than WinXP and Win2000.

The main thing that has changed in this respect is the new “virtualizationâ€￾ feature in Vista. In many cases, if a program runs in a limited user account (LUA) situation and that program tries to modify the contents of the “program Filesâ€￾ directory, Windows Vista will virtualized these write to store the data in the user’s folder rather than in the program files folder.

In other words, programs that bombed in Windows XP in LUA situations will now work in Vista. For years Microsoft has been trying to convince developers to pay attention to LUA situations and store user data in the user folder. Most developers ignored them trusting that “what worked in Windows 95 will work in the next version of Windowsâ€￾. As a result, most Windows XP users run as administrator to keep their applications working. Some apps don’t work in XP unless you run as Administrator. Now many of those same apps will magically work in Vista even in LUA situations because the will automatically be virtualized.

12. Sharpfish

Sharpfish
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Thanks James, that actually sounds promising for once. I already use the standard windows calls to store data in the correct application data paths, but recently there were some doubts thrown up in a thread about the use of the first directory or the "local settings" one (with the latter apparently safer), which highlights XPs quirks. I thought we would have those idiosyncracies times ten when Vista came along, the virtualisation you mention sounds smart.

So... is it just Signatures and icons left to worry about now or are they a storm in a tea-cup also?

rgds

13. Pallav Nawani

Pallav Nawani
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Portals make their own installers, and those will be signed. So you wouldn't need to get your executables signed, I think. Unless you sell direct from your website with your own installer.

This is just a guess, though. Can somebody clarify the issue?

14. Nutter

Nutter
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I'm very surprised to hear that not more of you are embracing the Games Explorer in Vista - it's a really good tool, especially for indies. The only "downside" is that it requires you to put a bit more effort into correct Vista support, however that shouldn't take very long at all. Check out the GDF (Game Definition File) docs, example, and creation tool in the latest DX SDK.

Another Vista "you really should do this, and we mean that" thing is manifest files. A word of warning, generating these to match the MS documentation will BSOD XP SP2 machines due to a bug in the kernel. I'm not sure if they've updated their docs yet, but hopefully they will have as it's such a major issue. Also check out the docs and example in the latest DX SDK.

For code signing - make sure you sign all of your exe and dll files (installer too, and any MSI files), not just the main exe.

I think that's about it.. if anyone wants examples/clarification, I'll do my best - I've already gone through the MS Vista certification process for a commercial game.