video creation software

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by svero, Jul 2, 2007.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Can anyone recommend a software that can take a bunch of png images (say frame1...frame500) and put them together into an mpeg 2 video of arbitrary format/resolution. Ive tried blaze media pro but it wont output in hi-res hdtv. Or alternately one that could convert from an uncompressed AVI file to mpeg 2

2. svero

Err.. i guess i should say free or inexpensive software. Im sure there's some high end adobe thing that can do it etc... But I dont want to buy a 600$ app for this.

3. Bad Sector

Original Member

mplayer's mencoder can create almost any kind of video known to humanity :p.

A few months ago i used it to create a video of one of my engines. To create the video i grabbed the framebuffer and stored to disk in separate files. Then i fed all these files to mencoder (with extra info about the color format, how fast the video should be, etc) and made a nice mpeg video out of it.

4. Sysiphus

Original Member

I tend to use Virtualdub.org

Is tricky fo rmore compelx edition, but easy for certain usual task. Is free, open source, usable for comercial.

For mpg and whatever the format, I use a user compiled build for windows, of ffmpeg (I thought mplayer really used ffmpeg, but I guess I never did dig much about that software...)

I've used ffmpeg even to convert to flash, but it can convert whatever.

Is dos command line.

I think both mencoder and ffmpeg ar good to go.

maybe you'd also would like to check :
    http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html

The free one I think is not usable for comercial.The $ is cheap. It used to have a good name in ->mpeg conversion.

Is a 75$ thing , I think, and sounds to me, quite professional...

But as I say, for teh part of cutting chunks, editing, removing frames and even adding watermakrs or fades , I use virtualdub, but because I very well know which versions of certain user plugins are the ones working nicely...

Video editors as solid as equivalent photshop in its area, not many, cheap...But you have nice surpirses sometimes given away with 3d cards and so on. I think OPower Director and Cyberlat dunno what saved my neck for certain company where there was no money for that...

One thing in favour of Virtual dub over all these, and even premiere at times, as well as over ffmpeg(tho ffmpeg is mainly for conversions) is...stability.Virtual dub has been allways rock solid for me...stable version, that is...

last time I grabbed one ffmpeg that worked ok in my job's windows, I think was from here :
    http://arrozcru.no-ip.org/ffmpeg_builds/
    or maybe was this:
    http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffmpeg/

yet tho you can have the bad luck of grab a buggy one...try another...

if 75$ is not money for you, I probably would go for tmepgenc...

Virtual dub is great for big avis, uncompressed editing previous to any conversion:
    virtualdub.org

I strongly recommend these two filters (can do more than seems by its initial usage)

- http://emiliano.deepabyss.org/ (fader 3.1 , great for fades in and outs)
    - http://neuron2.net/logo/logo.html Logo filter. (you can put a watermark for n frames, controling position by sliders)

From here you can have working great thousand other filters , free as well, for virtual dub. :
    http://neuron2.net/

I just mentioned my two favourites as saved my neck in my day work.

I know you surely know about it, but XP sp2 comes with a video editor, good enough for certain uses...

edit: one I used was powerlink cyberdvd, other Power Director, or something like that...could do the stuff, but I think were less stable than Virtual dub...

5. svero

Well I looked at these but they don't seem to be able to do the job. I've managed to use softimage flip-book to compile my images into lossless compressed MOV files, but now I need to encode those as MPeg-2 at a high bitrate (>10,000 Kbps). When I try to convert them to MPeg-2 I get either limited bitrates or resolution limits (images are HDTV 1920x1080p30) or in the case of mencoder some obscure buffer underflow error. Maybe it also can't handle the pro resolution. Flip-book only supports avi and mov and some other file formats I'm unfamiliar with. But somehow I need to end up with very high quality HDTV mpeg-2 images.

6. Surrealix

Indie Author

Jashaka ?. I tried it a while ago, and it looked like it had a heap of good features, but it ran too slowly on my ancient laptop, so ditched it for virtualDub.

7. svero

I'm downloading adobe premier to see how it does. If that doesn't work maybe ill try that other one.

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

One moment. You say that mencoder cannot do the job? What do you want to do exactly?

I'm asking this because have this feeling that you just don't know how to do it - personally it took me some time to figure out the train of arguments i need to pass to mencoder in order to make the video... it isn't the user friendliest program around, but making videos out of images is sure something it can do... i know because i did it :).

9. svero

Well maybe Mencoder can do it. I was able to use it to do a number of things. But as you say its got a gazillion options so it's hard to be 100% sure that I haven't messed them up somehow. Just that when I tried to do mpeg-2 compression it always gave me a buffer underflow error and crashed. Other encodes of different formats worked. I'm not sure if thats the result of some missing parameters on my part or just a bug or what exactly.

I tried premier but for some reason I didn't fully understand all the HDV options were grayed out and the various export features that would allow mpeg-2 export are also grayed out. That may be because its a 30 day trial?? Not sure. Downloading Adobe After Effects now which I wanted to check out for other animation reasons anyway.

Dan MacDonald recommended I try this program...

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

And I've had some success with it so far first exporting from softimage to lossless png compressed quicktime format and then converting. The files need to go through more extensive testing before I can say for sure that they do the trick though.

10. Fabio

Original Member

Hi,
    is it possible to do crossfading between two video sequences using VirtualDub?

11. Sysiphus

Original Member

svero...

Is not only software. Is also hardware. It depends on how every software does everything...if it is expecting to do in a more realtime way, in some cases you need scsi disks, a load of ram and cpu. The resolution you use is huge, I wouldnt attempt to do any video editing that hi res, at least any serious one, without a nice machine... Which is not neeedingly a huge modern 3d card, but certain other components. I did some vid capture and edit in the past, but had a wide scsi II disk, and fast cpu for the time...even so, talking about non HD video res.

Also, I suspect mencoder works in a very similar way to ffmpeg, and has same issues with A or B codec/format. Not all are as well supported, not all use same algroythms, etc. WHat has been said bout train of settings, is also true with others (transcoders, multiplexers?never remember the word in english language) like fmpg: I couldnt get the Flash Screen Video codec to do certain type of videos at hi res, without loosing frames, only to swf by sorensen codec, which was nto my idea. (so I jumped to Riva flv encoder)

The grayed out thing...can be....is eons since I don't use Premiere...can be limited use trial, can be also simply that you were trying to do a type of project settings not compatible with the imported sources, frames, their resolutions/ratio proportions/pixel dimensions, etc. Video editing has been allways a complex world with lots of needed knowledge. I'm not more than a total noob in it, and yet I allways knew more than other gfx ppl on the game companies I've been...

So, can be perfectly resolution.You may try to dig the res you need first for the type of output...ie, if it were 720x576, with any batch tool, for that u don't need any huge processing, irfanview freeware can do for you with its batch mode, even applying filters, watermarks, etc. Then, import into premiere. In case that's the grayed out prob.
    Or 1920X1152, but maybe check that's actual type of project setting, as mpeg2 can be both.

With ffmpeg, I guess I'd need a huge machine for that, dunno. With premiere, long wait till it end rendering, but should do...

@Fabio: You can use fade plugin I pasted in my long other post above, but is not real crosfade, but fade to a color, and from that color to an imported other video. For that you mention, for free, if your vid is not very hi res, you can try with Wax ( ...www.debugmode.com ) ...tho crashed me for several times, but i was able to do crossfades and with some control.
    Windows Movie Maker can be downloaded free with Xp genuine, I think , I never tried that one for already be using virtual dub etc. Dunno if somewhere I read it could do multitrack corssfades...I ve done those with wax, Power Director or CyberDVD...and of course, with premier, my favourite all time, yet can only use when company has it.

cinelerra, one I havent yet tried as late years dont have linuxes at home...but seems to be very professional solution, and its free...one day I'll dig it, looks gorgeous...
    http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

12. svero

Yeah I'm not doing anything realtime except playback... but the playback is being done on high end machines.hardware. From the encoding end I just need software that supports HDTV high bitrate mpeg2 encoding. Mediacoder seemed to do ok although it has an upper bitrate limit. So.. I'm not sure if the bitrate it produced is sufficient yet. If so then I guess I'm ok with that app. If not I may need to buy premier... Wish i was able to test it though. I know that when I installed the premier trial it explicitely said that it wasn't installing some 3rd party plugins. Those may have been required to output mpeg-2 or HDTV formats.

13. Fabio

Original Member

Thank you for your answer, Sysiphus. In reality I don't need to crossfade two videos, mine was a question built "at art". I use VirtualDub a lot, but I always wondered if it was possible to work on more than one source at the same time, which I don't think it is, but I wanted to ask for one time. The crossfading seemed a good, simple example of what can't be done (unless, of course, you separately fade to black video1; fade from black video2; and then mix them someway). Too bad because I like VirtualDub a lot (and I know and respect its author much) but it's only really useful for cut/join and simple, "linear" effects.

14. Sysiphus

Original Member

excuse me the delay(job overload of work)...I wanted to answer anyway.
    yes .I basically do this....even for mor sort of effects.

Hmmm...Look, my aproach ( to be clear, mainly as companies often don't have the money, but mainly intention, on wasting money in video software, unless they do the activity more than occassionally) has been: I use Virtualdub for huge vids processing, yep, editing the indiviudal "tracks". Its stability allows this: is also thought with solid working in mind. Combined with good plugins and a lot of tricks you go discovering, is quite a tool.

Then, I just take my hard worked "mono track videos", and then for multitrack editing, take Wax (for wax, I ..use it mainly for small reoslution outputs only, and short videos), or any of the usual cheapo vid tools included in drivers DVDs of certain graphic cards, or certain scanners, or any other that come included in some hardware, or, often, bring a mag I bought which gave a full version, comercially usable, usually is old sofwtare of like not much than 200$ of cost at th emoment of mag issue purchase.But tends to be enough.
    Take in consideration I speak about mmedia videos for cd roms, mobile games video promos, to be for Pc display and mobile display version too, etc. Not the res that for example Svero is doing: in the machines I have been given in past companies, that would have been impossible.

Virtual dub combined with irfanview batch mode, and Adobe CS2 batchmode-combined with custom actions, can achieve a lot of cool effects, giving endless power.
    Of course, if you ask me, yep, give me a Premiere, but even with that, there's extra functionality you get with othe rtools/tricks.

15. KNau

Original Member

Can't you do what the original post asks in Quicktime Pro? In fact I'm almost positive you can.

16. svero

According to their website it doesn't seem to export the sorts of formats I was asking about. There's some note about mpeg2 support sold separately for import. Wrt importing image sequences it wasnt clear either. Says it imports BMP and JPG2000 whatever that means..

17. MrQ

MrQ New Member

virtual dub is a great conversion util, I use adobe premier to take image sequences into avi format. http://www.virtualdub.org/

I wouldn't recommend outputting from Premier to a compressed video format, rather use an external compression program after exporting an uncompressed avi.