Very quick question: Endless/Infinite runner games

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Newton-SJ, Sep 28, 2016.

?
  1. 1 life

2. Multiple lives

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Newton-SJ

Newton-SJ New Member

Me and my game designing partner are talking about releasing a more condensed version of our game Star Jumper : Newtons Adventure.

Its quite an involved level based game. We are at marketing stage and while we have a little down time we want to release a stripped down quick to play infinate runner game (like ninja dash/temple run/ flappy bird etc)

One of us thinks the standard restart when you die model is the way to go.

The other wants to add aditional lives so the player can progress further in one round.

What do you think works better with this kind of game?

Explanations why would be great and just a vote is equally good. :)

Thanks

2. woahitsjc

woahitsjc New Member

In my opinion, I prefer endless/infinite runners to just have a single life where you start all over again.

However, having multiple lives could also work; I'm not too sure what games in this genre have done it. So what you could do is have say three lives and whenever the player dies, they lose 1 life and they start back up again but they don't get three lives upon after game over. They will have to earn those lives by completing a certain milestone or collecting items.

Why I prefer just having a single life is because it's more punishing for the player, it might give them a lot of frustration but a ton of people will always press that restart button to play again and try to get a better score. I don't like the idea of having multiple lives because you don't really give the players a sense of challenge. It also doesn't seem worthy of actually achieving a high score due to the fact you used up three lives, instead of having just one where it's the matter of life/death when you reach to a peak for best score and trying to maintain that feeling once you passed it.

3. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

If you want to engage people you have to give them some sense of progression. The typical method for runners is and upgrade shop. Play, get credits for your performance, buy upgrades, make a better performance, get more credits, etc..

Then it all depends on the scope of your game. If there are several "worlds" or sceneries to explore, I'd rather have checkpoints.

4. Paul Carroll

Paul Carroll New Member

Every runner game I have ever played has only had one life and then you are back to the beginning. One thing I would like to see in this genre is a level system where you finish one level then move to the next but when you die you stay on the level you died on so there is a sense of progression.

5. TigerrrUppercut

TigerrrUppercut New Member

Maybe combine the two and add an ability which is unlocked that adds lives.

That, and add a "Continue" option when dead, which costs either in game currency or an ad view (in game currency should be worth more)