Venting off a little frustration

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by moonpxi, Aug 27, 2004.

1. moonpxi

Original Member

Ok, here I was, checking out a preview of The Sims 2, and watching some of their videos and than a down, sinking, feeling hitted me. The feeling of "oh, okey, one day I wish I could do something like this". And I am not even a big The Sims fan, and here is also the hype...

Did this ever hit you?? The felling that you wish to do a big, a great project, beyond dreams, and know that you can't?? I know that I am starting out, and everything, but this somehow depressed me a lot.

2. Nikster

Original Member

Cant' ??? CAN'T ??? with that attitude I don't think you will, however if you look at very successful games, look at how simple they are, Sims, a blatant enhancement of "Little computer people" Tetris, fantastic programmer art, lemmings, hardly anything to it apart from great designing of levels (the earlier versions anyway) but, as they say, they had the right idea at the right time. I even thought Horace goes skiing was fantastic, nothing I couldn't do, but I would never though of doing such a game originally, I guess most of the games I mentioned have in common is they were pretty much unique when they hit the shelves. also don't forget these guys never came up with a golden idea straight away, many of them worked of flops before hand.. but persevere and it may just be you...

My random trolling again *sorry* :)

3. moonpxi

Original Member

Yes...you are right, Nikster!! Absolutely right!! I was thinking something along those lines soon after I hit the "Submit new thread". But, I don't know, I guess I am in a bad day... :(

4. Nikster

Original Member

I know where you are coming from.. I have had to back peddle on my game and to be honest I don't think it will see the light of day.. mainly for reasons out of my control, but instead, I have taken to writing some (hopefully) useful utilities to help people with more resources than I to maybe create that next winner. That is, until I can sort my resource issues out and continue with my game.

I guess your on a bit of a downer, fear not, most of us are in an even worse state :)

5. Sunshine

Original Member

I have played Commodore 64 games that were more fun than the Sims. :p

So I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

6. moonpxi

Original Member

Well...to me the greatest game of all times is "Elevator Action". Seriously!!!

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I don't really feel the "need" to do a "big" game like the sims... I prefer the freedom of the indie business than being a programmer-slave of some big company ;)

...of course until I can earn enough money from my games :D

8. nemo54321

Original Member

Don't get down about it... everyone wants to leave their mark.

But something to remember about The Sims is...

It was the first game marketed to non-gamers. I personally dislike the game, I lost interest too quickly. However, the people I konw that play it are non-gamers. And that is why... IMO that it is the biggest selling game ever... people who don't play games could play this game for 10-30 minutes, take a break, and then go about thier lives. Which just proves the old saying K.I.S.S.

:)

-- Joe Hawkins

9. Nemesis

Original Member

I haven't played it, but to this day I still don't see what's the point of playing a game that mimics every day life. My idea of a game is that it sohuld take you in a fantasy work, even if it is as flat as a simple 2D platformer.

If I ever had to create an anti-campaign for The Sims, it would be:

"The Sims, the life game for people who cannot get a real life."

10. nemo54321

Original Member

Ditto

Exactly!! Which is why so many people out there loved it... har har har.

-- Joe Hawkins

11. BongPig

Indie Author

Any coder will always say they are not interested in huge titles. Thats understandable as they dont get off on huge graphics and effects.

However, im not one of them. HalfLife was a game that made me want to give up. It was sooo awsome at the time, due to amazing art direction and scripting, I knew this type of game is simply not possible for me. I would like to try, but I dont want to work in a big team again.

More recently, Chronicals or Riddick left me with a real pang for doing something big. Something movie like.

I certainly could not swap these type of game for whatever rubbish was keeping me amused on my old C64 or Amiga. No way.

So, heres one vote in the 'yes' box. Yes, I would sometimes like to make games I simply cannot. How depressing is that?

12. Diodor Bitan

Indie Author

Yes, but not anymore. These days I get hit more when I find great games I could have done and didn't.

13. papillon

Indie Author

... I'm interested in big titles because I am an RPG freak and it is *somewhat* difficult to create Torment on your own as one tiny little indie. :)

14. GhostRik

Original Member

For me, it's a mixed feeling of nostalgia. 20-odd years ago it was much easier to see an at-that-time "big game" and then whip up something similar on your own computer that people could actually have fun playing, despite your limitations compared to the original. I even made some spare change like that (once upon a time...). Nowadays it's a lot more difficult.

15. moonpxi

Original Member

Ok...I guess I need a quick clarification of my position on The Sims, in order to move on: ok, the game gets old too fast. Taking those little people to the bathroom everytime is a pain in the butt!! However, something that I liked to do, and I guess I might be a frustrated architecture, was to build houses...and, well, it also got old fast.

However, in The Sims 2 they had a somewhat "brilliant" idea. No, not the whole aging thing. What I mean is the whole new camera movement (or what they call MovieMaker). This, they did superbly well, based on a few movies and traillers I saw around. I suspect a lot of buzz around in Machinima.

As for working into a big development studio. Well, I must admit I am not sure, since I never worked in one and, from my geographical position, my chances are pretty slim. However, I do feel that I want to build my own company, with my own ideas, from ground up. Even if I can't ever get in the same level as Halflife 2, if I ever do one game and only one person would play and buy it, I guess I would be extremly happy!!

16. techbear

Original Member

Having actually worked on the Sims, I can attest to its internal complexity and the huge amount of content that's gone into it (especially with its never-ending add-on packs). I know that I simply don't have the resources myself to replicate it. And I think it's VERY fun.

However, I'm not the least bit depressed. Possibly because I've worked on the big projects for the big shops in the past, so I don't harbor any illusions about how great it would be. :) All their art and coding assets counterbalance their inability to innovate (generally speaking).

My creative direction was never about those big projects, where the intent is not to be groundbreaking and unique. Those games NEED 10 artists and 2 years to provide enough content to make them fun. That doesn't mean that other games do.

As a long-time programmer, I understand that there's nothing I can't code, given enough time and effort. You can do the same. Set your goals realistically, but understand that life is a cycle, and what you might not have achieved this year, you will next year.

In short, I'm not depressed because, while I cannot do all stuff the big boys do, they DARE not do what I'm thinking of doing. :)

17. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

What makes you think you can't? Do you think AAA games are made by martians? Nope, all games are made by common people.

18. gmcbay

Indie Author

The people dismissing The Sims as simple and just 'a game mimicking real life' should really play it before commenting here.

The game, or sandbox simulation, or whatever you want to call it, is really quite cool if you give it a chance. And from a game-design standpoint, it is absolutely brilliant, no matter how witty you think you are by trashing it.

The 10 bazillion copies sold aren't because of the hype, but rather because the game deserved it.

#18 gmcbay, Aug 27, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  19. Nikster

Original Member

So if you think the game is simple or mimicking real life you obviously haven't played it ?? I like your logic, also before you posted your comment I assume you actually played 'little computer people' ? that aside the technical aspect of the game is simple whether you like it or not, aka the water cooler broadcast, just because it's implimented well doesn't make it complex, but I guess everyone should think it's great because you do.

20. nemo54321

Original Member

From a design stand point the game is brilliant. The execution, interaction, life and death cycle, and customization are fantastic. Throw in the technical aspects such as visibility parameteres and AI for "inactive" Sims. But, even though it is the number one selling game of all time doesn't mean it is for everyone.

Like me.

Lastly, I did almost get back into it with the Makin' Magic add-on... it seemed like a load of trouble making fun.

-- Joe Hawkins