Vector Graphics?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by V33Dub, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. V33Dub

V33Dub New Member

Hey guys, brand new here.

I'm interested in making a game in my spare time, and I have literally 0 idea what I'm doing. I'm not so much a fan of pixel graphics, and I was looking into vector graphics instead. How viable are vector graphics for 3/4 viewpoints, how much more difficult are they to use, and what kind of program should I use to best implement them?

I am primarily an artist with a small background in code. What kind of program (inexpensive, since I'm just doing this on the side) would be good for a first try?

Thanks in advance.

2. Kouros Prime

Kouros Prime New Member

It's not bad at all, I use Adobe Illustrator myself and I don't even use a tablet. Illustrator, being a proper digital art program, is designed to work flawlessly with just a mouse but also works with a tablet as well. In my experience, you can do virtually anything you can on paper or in vexel programs. The only difference is in how everything is done. As you probably know, Vexel literally paints to the pixels themselves whereas Vector deals with shapes and objects. But this is about the only real difference, if you know what you're doing it's very easy to do all the same shit as with vexel or on paper.

3. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Vectors is drawing with shapes. You can do any point of view, whatever you can draw. I've been using Illustrator for 10 years and there's a lot of depth in that software. Some find it difficult to use but it's powerful. I draw a lot by hand, then I scan sketches and place them in Illustrator to retrace a final piece. I've heard some people say they like Flash's drawing tools better but I could never get used to it. I do use Flash for animations though.

But I don't know about alt softwares that would be less expensive, sorry.