Using Gravity...

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by fpcorso, May 29, 2009.

1. fpcorso

fpcorso New Member

I started working on an idea for my new game, but I am not sure how well people will like it. It is going to be for either XBLA or XBLCG, not sure which yet. Basically, it is a side-scroll platformer, like the old Mario days. The player would control the character using the left stick. Now, where this game is different is the right stick controls the gravity. Pushing up would make the gravity come from the top of the screen, pushing right would make the gravity come from the right of the screen, etc... The player would have to use the gravity to make his or her way through the level. Gravity would affect the player, enemies, everything except the background. What do you guys think? I think it would be a fun game, but would the average xbox gamer like a game like this?

#1 fpcorso, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. RoadMaster

Original Member

Sounds very similar to "And yet it moves" to me...

3. jcottier

jcottier New Member

The idea sound interesting. But that's it, it's just an idea. Ask 20 dev team to create this game and you'll end-up with 20 differents games. Some good some c...p.

So, there is no ways anyone could seriously tell you if the game would sell or not. And this is irrelevant of your game idea. No one can tell you if a game will sell or not at this stage (stage zero).

JC

4. fpcorso

fpcorso New Member

I had to go look this up, I had not heard of it before. The game I am thinking about is not quite like this. It is similar, but the gravity feature would be handled differently. Instead of having the gravity point rotate around the character, the gravity would be from the sides of the screen. For example: when the player pushes up, the character would flip upside-down and fall to the top of the screen, and walk on the ceiling. Same thing would happen for any of the four sides.

#4 fpcorso, May 29, 2009
  5. RoadMaster

Original Member

I don't consider that a difference. That's purely aesthetic as it could take me 1 line of code to change the camera's behavior from rotating to non-rotating. If that's the only difference I'd say the gravity feature is handled the same.

More likely though, is the way you want to handle it is more "forgiving" to a player, and the control mechanism is likely different. In AYIM if I remember correctly the player is killed by falling too far down, which is probably not how you want to treat your game, and want it more like a traditional platformer. In the end though, it's all about making a polished implementation that uses the mechanic in unique and appealing ways to make for a fun and unique gameplay experience.

6. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I think the main difference would be that AYIM only has four orientations, whereas in Frank's, you're using the analog control stick to change gravity, so presumably there'd be more fine control.

There's also a big difference in that in AYIM, when you rotate the world, the character's velocity is preserved in the SCREEN frame of reference, not the world's. So when you rotate the world, you also change your own direction of motion within it. If you were just changing gravity, you'd only be changing the direction of your acceleration, which makes the movement extremely different.

I've often thought about doing a sci-fi platformer in which there's zero gravity, but the player character has magnetic boots... so if you jump, you can fly in a straight line, rather than an arc, but as soon as you come close to a surface, you'll spin around and clamp on, and can run around as if locally there's gravity pulling you "down" onto it, whether you're right side up, upside-down, or sideways.

#6 AlexWeldon, May 29, 2009
  7. Acord

Acord New Member

bah - don't let cries of "it's similar to..." bother you. Develop it anyways :)

8. vjvj

Indie Author

Unfortunately, you're asking questions that can't really be answered from the hip.

If you wanna know how fun it is, do a quick prototype in Gamemaker or something. That's the only way to know for sure. It's impossible to predict this kinda thing; some ideas sound good on paper but suck in practice (this even happens to the big boys; remember when Warcraft 3 had a 3rd person camera?), and some ideas sound stupid on paper but turn out to be fun. Just bang out a quick prototype with no art, and tweak it until it feels fun or give up when it seems hopeless. That's what we all do!

As for whether or not an XBLA customer would like/buy it, you're gonna need to talk to a guy who has marketing experience there. Or learn how marketing guys gather data and do it yourself :)

9. DavidR91

DavidR91 New Member

Makes me think of this: http://polig.daa.jp/gvt.html

Arrow keys control gravity, click on the left side of the screen to move left and right side to move right. (You need to get to stage 3 before you get to screw with gravity)

Not the same idea exactly, but should give you a bit of inspiration about what you can do with the mechanic

10. JasonD

Original Member

Exactly. People never get it right anyway! Everyone thinks Geometry Wars started the multi-diretional / dual-stick shooter movement, when it was really Asteroids / Robotron. The first game I know that allowed changes in gravity was the NES game Metal Storm (which rocked by the way!).