Using Google Charts in-game

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by manunderground, Feb 24, 2009.

1. manunderground

manunderground New Member

The other day I thought about using google charts in a game. In a nutshell you'd just make a webservice call and pull the graph down to cache + display to the player. This might work especially well for end-game recap graphs or other types of graphs you don't see very frequently. Has anyone thought of doing this or done it before? It seems like a great way to get some nice looking graphs in game without having to implement a graphing library, especially for flash games.

2. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton New Member

On problem you have is (last time I looked anyways) is that for google charts is limited to 50,000 calls a day. For flash agmes it's hard to look past the Charting capabilities of Flex Builder Professional (which admittedly costs money to purchase).

There's also the free Flash data vis package Flare - http://flare.prefuse.org/ more effort to get going but deliciously flexible.

3. manunderground

Hm, 50,000 a day huh? That might be a problem if you have a really popular game. Then again maybe it's possible to get more requests if you ask? At least I believe that's the case for some of Google's services. But then they might ask for a cut and at that point you might as well opt for a free or commercial system to use in the client...

4. Maupin

Original Member

For non-Flash games, won't firewalls/security software/the OS complain and tell the user that your game is trying to connect to the internet?

5. manunderground

Sure but isn't that the same problem that all games which have global high score lists face?