using Facebook forums ?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jack Norton, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I've had enough of spamming and replaced my old forums with my blog at http://www.winterwolves.net
    I am getting already more interested people and real posts than before. No wonder since phpbb is probably the most spammed forum on earth. I tried everything, even added reCaptcha to signup, but still was getting at least 2-3 spam post a day (I suspect even real people signing up to post spam).

So now I was thinking to simply use FB for my forums. Like pointing people to this URL:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app_2373072738&ref=ts&gid=45004442283

is a good thing to do? would look crap? I can just avoid completely telling them I have a forum (many devs don't have it). I don't know, one thing is sure, I don't want to have to deal with phpbb anymore :)

2. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

If you're getting more interested people then I'd say it's got to be a good thing. :)

Iain

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

no, the more interested people are in my blog, was wondering only if to keep a link "forum" from my main sites but direct them to the facebook forum...

4. Nutter2000

Ah... I see, sorry.

In that case I've no real comment, sorry.:eek:
    I see Cliffski is doing well with his GSB facebook page so perhaps change the link to something like "Winterwolves on Facebook" instead of forum?

Iain

5. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Jack, a simple solution to forum spam is to require people to being paid customers (activating game keys) to use them. Maybe throw in a few other "perks" for people who activate their accounts with game keys. :D

If you choose to use the Facebook forum, do not use your group's forum! Start a page instead and have the discussion take place there. Groups are not as useful as pages are from business and customer interaction perspectives.

Edit: Also, if you reinstall your forum consider moving to http://www.mybboard.net/ this script is much less popular with spammers, and is better overall in my opinion.

#5 CasualInsider, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thanks, some good advice, will see what to do: indeed for my new sites I started pages, not groups (was too late when I realized they're better for WW).

7. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I don't like FB, it's too damn slow. :mad:

If you install the latest version of PHPBB each time they are released, you get less spam. Also you could admin it daily or even appoint people to do so.

8. Obscure

Indie Author

Did you run any anti spam measures like Bad Behaviour? http://www.bad-behavior.ioerror.us/

The problem with using Facebook as you forum is that it is limited to people on Facebook. There may be millions of people on Facebook but there are many many times more people who aren't.

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

No didn't know about that bad behaviour thing, but really the problem I was having is that no matter what I was doing (running the latest phpBB, using reCaptcha, etc) I was still getting spam. I had a waiting queue so the spam wasn't even appearing on the forum unless I approved it: however I really can't spend 30min a day to check all messages (99% were spam). Most people have moderator for their forums (Amanda, etc).

Actually that forum is public to read, but indeed to post you need to be on FB... anyway, maybe will buy vBullettin and reinstall it somewhere on my .net domain, but not anytime soon :D

10. Nutter2000

Well I run vB on two sites and a rarely used phpBB board on another.

The phpBB one is a total spam magnet.

The vB sites do still get spammed but, like here, they're mostly the slightly more intelligent forum-backlink-builder-spammer types which are rarer.

Still annoying though.

I was looking at bbPress the other day, seems reasonable, it's a pretty simple, basic and free. Does what it says on the tin really but it's by the Wordpress team so could be good.

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well I restored my old forums because I realized too many sites were linking to some threads, in particular the walkthrough ones for my recent games.
    However I'll keep it invite-only or automatically add paying customers that shouldn't be spammers :p

12. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

Do you have nofollow tags on all outgoing links in your forum?

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Don't know, why?

14. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

If you aren't blocking the link juice of outgoing links with rel=nofollow, spammers see you as an easy target to syphon page rank. Nofollow won't eliminate the spam, but spammers who know what they are doing will be less inclined to waste their time.

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I am not even sure they check that, I've seen people spam the forums with images and link...:rolleyes:

16. Nutter2000

As with anything there's different types of spammers, there're the ones that are trying to increase their page rank by targeting decent sites and then there are the spam bots who just infect everywhere regardless of whether it helps or not :(

17. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I dont think any of this is spambot stuff. I think most of it is human posters (I guess from china) who are paid to spam.

One thing that strikes me that would work on THIS forum and I suspect others, is to simply remove any post that is the first post and includes a link somewhere. Most of the spam posts on here have 1 post and its a link to some crap.

Another thing thats working pretty well over at aiGameDev.com is to have a requirement to introduce yourself with a half-decent sentence before you are allowed access. This part of the forum is public, but the rest is then private.

Basically private forums are the way to go. I think with some kind of approval regime that automatically isolates new users. But as you say, it still requires some kind of moderation (thats not so bad if you can do it in bulk, which sadly we cant :()

Dont imagine for one second that simply using vBulletin is going to stop spam. It clearly doesnt.

18. zoombapup

Oh btw.. I highly recommend Disqus for comments on blogs. Realtime and spam protected. Good stuff.

19. Game Producer

Hmm... what about ModDB? Don't they have some sort discussion thing with them (it's been ages since I last logged in)

I'm also interested in this same forum issue...