Use Reallife Weapons and names ?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Fliedel, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Fliedel

Fliedel New Member

Hello, I am new to game dev. and I have a question.

Can I use reallife weapons ? Like M16 or Ak47 ? Or need I a licence for it ?
    And if I can't use the names, can I use the Image from them ?
    Like I recreated them in pixel art, if you know the weapon, you will recognize it.
    Is this allowed ?

Sorry for bad english and thanks! :)

2. 3ph0r

Hi. As far as I'm aware you need to have permission from the manufacturers. same reason my most games including CS have renamed their weapons.

as for using an image, if its a recreation in pixel art then it should be fine - no issue there. if you are using a photo of a gun showing the engravings / stamps / logos etc of the companies then i think there might be complications.

PS i'm not an expert on the law side of things but this is just my opinion :)

3. Scoper

Indie Author

There is a 3D model of an M-16 for sale on the Unity Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/178
    It has been there since 2011 and seems relatively popular. If there was a copyright infringement, it probably would have been removed ages ago.
    My theory is that if they don't get in trouble then you probably won't either.

4. KenPaulson

KenPaulson New Member

I believe the M-16 isn't a specific gun, but a class of gun. So you might be fine with an M-16 in your game, but you could run into issues if you tried to use a "Colt Model 733" (which is an M-16). Want to use a .44 Magnum handgun? Likely fine, but a .44 Desert Eagle could be a different story.

In general though, it's a pretty shaky argument to say that it's okay just because someone else is doing it. Some times people just don't get caught and being more successful or unlucky is all it takes for you to get noticed.