UR-AstroMiner Released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Swampdonkey, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey New Member

After a grooliing year of development my small team of 2 ( artist/musician and a programmer ) have finished our first indie game, AstroMiner. Just wanted to make an announcment about it here.

"Ugly Ralph in Astro-Miner" is a 3d side scrolling game starring a kid named Ralph who must collect all the gold on an asteroid while fighting monsters and avoiding level hazards such as burning jets of steam, fire, malfunctioning robots, out of control turrets and more.
    Gameplay takes place across 30 stages of action broken into three distinct levels.
    Level one has ralph dizzy, while running around on high platforms and girders where one misstep can mean his doom.
    Level two puts him on the asteroids surface.
    And level three sees him enter into an underground complex filled with aliens and other things.
    But Ralph isn't unarmed, he has his ever present plasma gun and various power-ups.

[​IMG]

You can find more screens, videos and a demo download on our website located here - http://uglyralph.com

We are also holding a contest and giving away 5 free AstroMiner titles!, you just have to achieve a certain score within the demo :) More details on the site.

2. Hideo

Hideo New Member

Making ANY kind of non-abstract 3D game is quite an achievement, so respects for you. You have some pretty awesome coding skills! I can't believe you did this in just one short year. ^_^

Graphics:
    Clearly, graphics are made to suit main programmer's taste. Outer space, industrial, mechanical, all gray, dark, cold, Star Trek etc. I like sci-fi, techno and industrial designs too, but I would never make a platform game like that, since I believe, this kind of games are played by people having mostly completely different preferences. Look at all popular platform games: they are all colorful, cheerful, bright - not your game.

Sound:
    Again, many sounds are HARDCORE industrial. I happen to enjoy industrial music, gothic metal, psy trance etc., but even for my tastes, many sounds are to hard and metallic. Imagine what an average, normal, non-geek kid would think about it.

Gameplay:
    I played first level on "easy". I got lost promptly and couldn't complete it. I didn't bother to read the "book", so I didn't even know my objectives. Make an animated intro. Platformers are NOT avid readers. I'm no platform virgin, BTW. I play them since Commander Keen. This first level looks kind of depressing: everything is gray and background is black. You reuse heavily the same models to make scenery and I got lost fast, since everything looks alike. IMO, monsters are too tough to kill. In platform games it's a custom to be able to kill anything except the boss, with one or two hits. In your game, most enemies require multiple hits to die. I even got killed be a thing which spawns some mini-aliens. I shot it probably 20 or more times.

My most memorable game experience:
    I'm out of oxygen and hopelessly lost. While I suffocate... an alien saucer comes out of nowhere and starts to shot me. I couldn't stand having so much fun, so I quited. :)

3. papastiffy

papastiffy New Member

The graphics are absolutly amazing and the gameplay seemed up to par. The backgrounds seemed decent but the music was a bit strange..

Although the game was different, I enjoyed it's differences from the normal platformer. :)

4. JGOware

Indie Author

I have to agree, those who enjoy platformers are usually not into space tech stuff.