Unreal Engine 4 -- Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by dannthr, Mar 28, 2014.

1. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Hey folks,

Anyone here checking out UE4?

I was so jazzed after GDC, it was the first thing I did upon arriving home! For a non-programmer (read: terrible programmer), BluePrints has been one impressive turn after another. I feel like it's really powerful as a visual scripting system so far, but I've only been clocking a few hours here or there to try to do something.

I just set up some real-time interpolation with dynamic target values on pitch modulation for a looping sound, and it worked out great! I just love that I can do this level of scripting without coding!

Anyone else been giving it a look?

Cheers,
    - Dan

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

It is good

I bought it out of curiosity, even though i don't plan on using it myself (i have my own engine and tools). I may try to make it read .rtw files from my 3D world editor though since its own native brush creation tools still sucks :p but that is a big "maybe". Actually, tools-wise, it seems to be more or less the same as older UE versions - the biggest change is a more shiny (and animated... with sounds :p) user interface with some streamlining here and there. Which i suppose makes sense since it wouldn't be a good idea to lose all that experience that people who used previous versions already have.

The C++ source is a *big huge* plus and IMO there is no reason (...except the 5% cut maybe) to go with Unity at this point for new projects. Not only you get a faster and more advanced engine with proven AAA chops, but also you have full control over its abilities with the source code.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Do you get web & tablet support with Unreal?

4. ManuTOO

Original Member

Bad Sector,
    I'd like to port my C++ games done with my custom framework based on DirectX8 & OpenGL 1.1 to a modern framework, so I could be interested by UE4.
    After reading your post, I just did some research and it seems quite premature to bury Unity, though.
    From what I have gathered, here the reasons to stick with it (they may change in the future, near or less near, of course) :
    - 5% can be a lot of money, but moreover, it might mean you have to let Epic track your game & possibly "unplug" it (I'm not sure what it means), or at very least, it requires a good accounting organization that a single Indie dev, or a very small studio may have problem to provide
    - Unity has a free version
    - Unity has its Assert Store (UE4 may gets its own, too)
    - Unity is still easer to use, and might have a faster work-flow
    - UE4 docs are very lacking (some of the ones already done are quite nice, though)
    - Unity community & support (through thousands of questions already answered in its Forum & Answers) is also very helpful

As I didn't personally tried UE4, I can't personally backup some of these points... :p
    I won't upgrade my games before next year, so I'll have occasion to check UE4 again before to take any decision..!

lennard,
    from the FAQ :
    So I guess tablets are already supported. Web, someday... ;)

#4 ManuTOO, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  5. dannthr

dannthr New Member

They have a Marketplace infrastructure set up already--you can download example projects from Epic right now, along with some more example projects as well as some paid content in the future. The guys at the Epic booth suggested they expect to see several things mature over the next 6 months including the Marketplace, the Plug-In API, and other things they have in the works--the Marketplace will have user content in the future.

Additionally, I have seen on their Answerhub that access to the Marketplace is not restricted to active subscribers--but anyone who was once a subscriber. This means that the only thing you get from subscription is engine updates--that means you can basically download it for $20 and use it for as long as you like.

I agree that 5% is not trivial, but they also have an option to negotiate a different payment structure or even welcome arguments as to why your project should be exempt from that payment. It's also a lot less than what you pay to distribution channels like iTunes, etc.

What I like is that they are riding their success on your success, they're not going to make money off of subscriptions, not really, it's more about whether or not your games sell great, and if their engine was a part of that success, then why not share in that success?

Seems reasonable to me.

6. God

God New Member

5% is not much but is that off the sales or profits? huge difference

I always recommend unreal for people looking for a solid engine.

7. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Looks like it is off of gross sales, not profit and I agree that could be a big difference.

8. Bad Sector

Original Member

There is certainly Android support out of the box and i think iOS as well. The Windows installer comes with the Tegra SDK (which is basically the Android SDK plus some nvidia tools, i don't think you're limited to Tegra) and there is a mobile example. I haven't tried it myself though. The iOS version needs a Mac and i don't use mine much to try UE4 there.

As for web, well, they showed this a few days ago. Although it isn't available right now.

9. ManuTOO

Original Member

dannthr,
    it doesn't make sense to compare the 5% of UE4 vs the 30% of Steam/Apple/Google. You can choose to distribute the game on your own, or can decide the eye balls brought by the distributor is worth the extra cut, or even do both (on PC/Mac/Android... On iOS, you're stuck without any choice ;) ).
    So you have to compare UE4 price vs other engine prices : free for Unity Free, $1500 or $75/month for Unity Pro, cheap for Crytek engines, free for Ogre 3D + SDL, and other prices for plenty of other engines (also 5% of 1 Millions $ gross = $50'000, that'd pay more than 1 year of custom work).

Moreover I think that for 99% of the games, UE4 won't change your sale numbers. The AAA quality this engine can provide requires an AAA budget that Indie devs don't have. You'll probably get almost the same final result with most other engines. So what's really important for the comparison is the easiness of use, and the possible roadblocks the engine you choose will give you ; ie: the engine that gives you the most chances to finish your game is likely the best engine.
    The access to UE4 sources can be a possible anti-roadblock, but having to dig deep in an unknown full engine can get very time consuming. So maybe another engine with small roadblocks would be better than an engine coming with its sources & big roadblocks (disclaimer: I do not know the kind of roadblocks UE4 come with ;) ; Unity's ones are painful enough, though).

God,
    yup, it's from gross ; so if Steam takes 30%, that gives => 5/70 = 7.15% of your cut.

#9 ManuTOO, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  10. Davaris

Original Member

I looked at it a couple of years ago and found you need a high end rig to run their editors. I'm not going to keep buying computers to keep up with their bloaty software. Plus it took me a long time to get comfortable with the engine I'm using now, so that's another consideration.

If with these cut throat prices Unity/Unreal/Cry, put my little engine maker out of business, I'll never use a commercial engine again. It will be open source only.