Unity 5 vs Unreal 4 for MMORPG

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by HyperShock, Feb 15, 2018.

1. HyperShock

HyperShock New Member

Hey, I’m Gavin

I know I know, it’s another Unity vs Unreal post. But this one is a bit different.

I have a few specific questions:

I want to know which engine would be better for making a MMORPG with graphics similar to Fornites style?

Which one is better in terms of price for a team of about 10?

Which one is better about not advertising themselves all over your game?

Which one produces smoother games? I know that the quality of the game matters, but it seems to me like Unreal games are generally smoother than Unity games.

Please don’t reply saying “it’s which ever one you prefer.” And please explain all of your answers.

Thanks in advance!

2. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

Depends on how much money you're willing to pay out. In my opinion it doesn't make a difference as you have Photon which depending on your understanding of code is easy to apply in your game.

However, in my opinion and you have the money it is worth investing in a 3rd party asset from the asset store(either unity or unreal to see how they all work) people critique this idea and say you don't learn as much or it's lazy but not really it depends on what you want.

Also, because of the time scale it takes to make these kinds of games I would suggest unity as it has more to offer in the asset store.

3. HyperShock

HyperShock New Member

ok
    Ok thanks!

4. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

np :), I am in the discord channel for uMMORPG and i must say the guy is very, very helpful. So if you'd like to join the discord channel and ask questions he is always around to help :D.

5. IryWorks

IryWorks New Member

Making MMO at home in the old days is harder than building an airplane in your garage.
    Now it's easier but it's still like building your own car.
    Recommend Unity, it has more freedom and you can make some mobile games if you don't have the money to pay for 3D assets