Unity 5, Voxel games

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by LOSTHORIZON, Aug 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LOSTHORIZON

LOSTHORIZON New Member

Hey, guys! I came across an article about indie game Robocraft and wondered if there are developers who did Voxel games here?
    Is Unity really the best engine for such games?

2. ccwscott

ccwscott New Member

I tried following a basic tutorial on setting up a minecraft style voxel game in Unity, and the efficiency just wasn't there. There was noticeable lag when new chunks loaded. On the other hand I did build a space combat game where the ships themselves were Voxels, and that worked reasonably well, which is similar to what Robocraft is doing.

You can see a basic demo at this link. Location specific damage, hardpoints, and I was listening to a video on the 5th element while I was playing around with the game so you can hear that in the background.