[UNITY 5] How to save a scene state? c#

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by PixelzGames, Oct 7, 2016.

1. PixelzGames

PixelzGames New Member

Title: Cefore
    Screenshots/Video:
    Game URL: www.playcefore.com

Hey guys, so I'm currently working on a game called Cefore. I need to code a system where, when the player will hit the reset button to try the level again (if he fails) then all the bombs and tools he placed would keep their position and settings (as seen in the GIF above). How would you guys go about it?

Thanks

2. Taka

Taka New Member

save a state of the current variables. Make an array which holds the key to recreating such a scene.

3. PixelzGames

PixelzGames New Member

I considered that but an array was not enough to save all the variables I needed unfortunately.

4. Scoper

Indie Author

You could add methods to your scripts to let them serialize and deserialize.
    Serializing a script creates a string from all its properties. Deserializing does the opposite - sets the values of all properties from a string.
    You probably have multiple GameObjects in a tree. So you'll want to serialize all of them - probably into one string that you can save in memory or to a file (xml for example).
    So when the player clicks Save, you call your serialize method on a script on the root GameObject. This then converts all its properties to a string. It then adds the serialized strings of all its children by calling their serialize method (you may need an interface or joint superclass). The children call their children etc.
    When the player clicks Reset, you take that string representing your tree of game objects, instantiate a prefab, and send that string into its deserialize method. That script then breaks up the string, sets its own values, instantiates its children and gives each of them their deserialization string.
    You now have your tree of game objects converted to a string and back again.

Will that work for you?