Ultratron

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Argh, I ended up not getting around to buying PuppyTron earlier in the week - is it too late to get in? :)

2. Kai Backman

Original Member Indie Author IGF Finalist

Heh, I'm a little late to the party, but I just downloaded Ultratron today and tried it out. Wow, do I love the graphics and athmosphere. I really like the visual and audio feel to the game. But I'm simply too physically challenged to be able to play it. Somehow 8 directions is a bit too much for my fingers to grasp. I know Svero will beat any score I get by simple ambidextrous magic, but I would have loved a mode where the little thing would shoot in the direction he's walking. If short taps made him turn, and he would remember his direction when you let go of the keys it would be very enjoyable. Just the cursor keys or something. On 1-10 in it's current state the game is a 5 because it humiliates me by mocking my clumsiness. With the simple control scheme I would have enjoyed it for 8 or maybe even a 9. Name it beginner mode or whatever, but that's the feature I would have loved.

Thanks Cas! :D

3. oNyx

Original Member

Robotron-ish controls are way easier (more intuitive actually) with a gamepad, because you only need to pick a direction, which is physically 1:1 mapped. With keyboard controls you need to decide if you want to move the middle finger to the upper or lower position (left+right) and then you need to decide which of those 6 fingers you need to press down.

Well, you get used to keyboard controls after a while, but the biggest problem with that is that it's rather tiresome.

Maybe we'll see an update with gamepad support ;)

4. Jim Buck

Indie Author

With a Playstation 2 dual analog controller hooked up to a pc (with this cool USB adaptor sold on the market), the dual sticks would be perfect for this game. :)

5. soniCron

Indie Author

There's a PS2-esque dual-analog controller at WalMart for $15 by Game Elements (or something). USB, recoil cord, force feedback, the whole bit. Real nice. I would recommend it to anyone.

6. Pyabo

Original Member

I have this setup and I'm actually not a big fan of it. The analog sticks just aren't as good as real 8-way joysticks. Or gamepads for that matter.

7. princec

Indie Author

Changing the controls eh? Hehehe. Over my dead body :) If you can't play Ultratron what you need is Invaders (WIP: http://www.puppygames.net/applets/invaders.jnlp - and we've only just started work on this so don't expect it to be good)

The deal's still on right up until I get my arse into gear and mail everyone the new codes.

"Special offer" in action eh?

Cas :)

8. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Ka-ching, sale made. :)

9. Kai Backman

Original Member Indie Author IGF Finalist

I just wanted to give you a data point. I used to play arcade games back in the eighties but I'm getting too calcified for your stuff .. I think a gamecontroller might make it more intuitive.. ;)

10. Olivier

Indie Author

-Excellent graphics, very stylish & smooth pixelized.:)
    -Enjoyable overall atmosphere. I played in the dark to fully enjoy.
    -Nice controls, easy to 'prendre en main' (sorry don't know the english word for that). Moving and simulteanously firing in any other direction is needed here, otherwise the game would be much harder.
    -I like the way the levels chain up. The difficulty increases well, and the 'electronic bugs' are more and more interesting as well as the weapons.

-The smartbomb sounds is a bit scratchy, but maybe it's just my audio devices.
    -I'd really like joypad support, I felt frustrated not being able to use mine.
    -A 2 players cooperative mode would be a nice addition. (I like multiplayer games)

11. princec

Indie Author

Thanks for the feedback :) The phrase you're looking for is "the controls fall easily to hand" but I think nearly everyone understands enough French to understand you!

Joypad support is forthcoming... just as soon as I get an API to code to...

12. dxgame

Original Member

I love this retro game play, keep it up! :)

13. Derek Yu

Original Member

Uh, Cas? How exactly do you register this game? I bought the damn serial # and there's no where to enter it! :mad:

But the game's very good. Congratulations!

14. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thats another of princec's special new progressive user interface decisions. :)

15. digriz

Original Member

I've been trying to download the windows version from the puppy games site and it gives me a zero byte file. :( It the link broken cas?

16. svero

That's princec's special new progressive java somehting or other download idea.

17. princec

Indie Author

Ehhh, I can't get over this whole "people buying the game BEFORE it nags" thing! Won't be long though before it times out. I'm going to tweak that a bit.

Download should be fine... worked here for me just now.

18. Derek Yu

Original Member

Wait, are you saying that I already purchased the game, and now I have to wait for it to nag me to buy the game before I can play?

19. princec

Indie Author

Nah, it lets you play anyway. It'll nag, don't you worry. That's the time to put the code in.

20. svero

You really should have a "enter your code" button somewhere. You're such a slacker when it comes to these little details. You've got it almost perfect this time.

Also there's another significant bug. The volume settings.. they done allow you to totally mute out music or sound.. only reduce it to some fairly loud level. I'd make the first dot on the options screen mean "off"