Ultratron

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Jun 6, 2005.

1. dima

Original Member

As usual, the game exited right after startup. I saw the screen for 2 seconds and before the loading bar even moves, the game just exited without saying anything.

Im on a laptop with 16meg Radeon card. Couldnt run Flux either.

2. Mike Wiering

Original Member

I enjoyed the game for a while, but then I found it too repetitive. A few comments:

- I like to be able to control menus via the keyboard, and that worked for the ones below, but the options menu required the mouse (or other keys that I'm unaware of).
    - The load time is really long, especially as this seems like quite a simple game (technically), even when running it the second time, it took 1 minute and 28 seconds to load (between clicking the icon and getting the title screen). Is that normal or is my P4 2.0 GHz too old?
    - When I uninstalled it, the icon remained on my desktop.

Anyway, good luck with this game!

3. Savant

Original Member

I don't see how you're going to sell copies of this game but, hey, I'm probably not the target market.

I really didn't like shooting with the cursor keys. If it worked like crimsonland I think it would be 100 times more fun (give me a crosshair controlled by the mouse and shoot at it).

I think it's an interesting idea but it really needs more meat...

4. soniCron

Indie Author

Well, cas, you made another sale! I was willing to buy Puppytron for $4.95 (after reading your post), but not for $9.95. At $4.95 it's like I'm buying a burger and fries, but I can go to WalMart and get a really great game (like Age of Empires + Rise of Rome expansion) for $9.95, so I feel like I'm getting gypped buying a little arcade game for that same price. Just a thought.

5. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Under that logic what plans do you have for your game? Is it going to be better than Age Of Empires?

6. codeminion

Indie Author

Worked fine for me. (XP,512RAM,2.6GHz)

Even got to the 6th level :)

I think it's a precious little thing for a price of $9.99 :) Nice and polished gives a real pro look.

Although I must agree with Jim that backgrounds are a bit to similar to the "firework-like" lasers (or whatever ;))

On the other hand the backgrounds are so cool that it would be a waste to darken them out or make them less visible. In my opinion you could include even more animation on the backgrounds, I don't think it would be very distracting.

I suppose it's a bit to late but I think that a space invader's style bonus round we a really nice thing (horizontal movement only, etc.).

Anyway it was quite fun to play between things i had to do during the day.

Cheers
    Konrad

7. soniCron

Indie Author

LOL! Touche! My point was that this game is so low on playtime that I wouldn't pay more than $4.95 as an impulse buy. It's only something I'll play sometimes when I need a break from coding. On the other hand, I used to spend some 7+ hours per week playing AoE. It's not even so much about the content or depth, so much as the time spent playing. At $9.95, it's not worth it to me. (But you have a damn good point there.)

8. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Man, this game would be awesome if you could fire at the mouse cursor. :)

Cas, I know you won't do that, but what about allowing the use of the mouse like a joystick? Move it left, fire left, move it right, fire right. I'm left handed, and it causes me brain problems to put both hands on the keyboard and use them... it makes me super unresponsive.

9. DanDanger

Original Member

Thanks!

UltraTron is fantastic, you've improved on puppytron alot and made it that bit easier for us lot that could never get on the highscore table. Best new feature is that I now know for sure when I have charged up rapid-fire to the max, and can gamble on picking up a power-up.

I tell you this: "tedious hiscore chasing rehash" is now my favourite type of game :) You should add that as a tagline to the game. I think ill have a go at making one with my new found java skillz.

And I get a free upgrade as well!?!? Oh princey boy what have I done to deserve such gifts!

10. codeminion

Indie Author

Man... If you could shot at the mouse cursor with this game it would be called Pteroglider and it would sell like crap ;)

But seriously we had many complaints about the steering in Pteroglider... But some people who actually bought and played it said that for them it was the USP and seem to be quite fond of it...

Cheers

11. soniCron

Indie Author

For the record, the steering was very jerky during gameplay and made it really unpleasant to play. It was as if the mouse would stick. You may have a technical issue, and that may be the main reason it didn't sell so well.

12. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

great game cas, even if I suck and only got to level 12 ;(((

13. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Whats with all the analysis? it's obvious portal games for the non-hardcore crowd will be mouse only for the most part.

This game is more hardcore. It's about mindless killing, which is a GOOD THING when you want to unwind.

14. soniCron

Indie Author

Because cas said...

...and the portal crowds tend to expect mouse input. (Though I think the keyboard input is great. Maybe an option to swap the movement and fire keys would be nice for leftys.)

15. Robert Cummings

Original Member

the game will break under mouse. it will not work. it is also possible to have hardcore games on *some* portals. different portals have different titles and different audiances.

16. oNyx

Original Member

>Maybe an option to swap the movement and fire keys would be nice for leftys.

Press the 'T' key to swap em. (I guess that still works.)

17. svero

Some light arcade games do ok on certain portals. I don't think realarcade would want it, but I suspect it would do ok on reflexive and a few other places for people looking for a retro feel robotron game.

I have a zillion little complaints, but I think it's mostly good and fun.

18. terin

Original Member

Yeah...

You'd better think its fun given your massive high score Svero :p

-Joe

19. svero

Actually that was just kind of a loose test game. Not really trying. It amazes me how bad people are at arcade games on average. Im sure I could double that easy.

20. ggambett

I found no logs (and definitely no directory under my $HOME!), I think the problem is earlier... Firefox doesn't know what to do with the .jnlp. If there is any way to try it "manually" (download the jars and run them from the command line?) let me know and I'll try.