Ultratron comes to XBox 360

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by princec, Dec 19, 2008.

1. PaulCunningham

Original Member

I agree about level 5 though :)

2. princec

Indie Author

Hm, level 5 isn't so hard on the PC version... perhaps needs toning down a tiny bit?

Cas :)

3. PaulCunningham

Original Member

It's not hard when you know it's coming and you know what to expect and have a nice fast gun - 1st time you reach it and all the enemies appear at once is a little overwhelming :)

4. tolik

Original Member

CG UI flow:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tolik

Original Member

(splitting into 2 posts due to limitations of img tag per post)
    PC UI flow:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

CG version doesn't show how to play before the game and it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

And the last advice - there's only one chance to __release__ the game. You could fine tune the game for your own site, but the spike exists on every platform with multiple releases per week - be it XBLA, CG, iPhone... Doesn't matter how you fine tune it at later stages, but you are releasing game for the spike as the tail drops steadily with the amount of releases.

http://www.gamasutra.com/xblastats/salesovertime.jpg

6. tolik

Original Member

Even when I knew what to do I die in 75% of cases. It depends on location of the player when the level starts.

7. 320x240

320x240 New Member

If there's a problem with the way the Ultratron demo unfolds, it's more because the first four levels are to easy than because the fifth is to difficult. I have a feeling that players that can't routinely escape level 5 may not be among the games target audience. I'm talking about the Pc-demo by the way.

8. JGOware

Indie Author

For the record, I'm just happy as a lark a cool looking retro 2D shooter can still generate some buzz in 2009. :) Congrats!

9. PaulCunningham

Original Member

Cheers :)

@tolik - the flow is different to the PC version but it is consistent with the way XBLA titles do it and that is what I was after. They all have Help & Options -> How To Play and Help & Options -> Controls - every one of them and so the 360 demographic know what to do and where to go for the info they need.

re: lvl 5 - You have full control of your player at all times so you can position him wherever you want for the start of a level. The level is easy really, it's just the first time you see it - maybe we can tweak it in a patch.

Nobody knows if XBLCG will take off and what kinds of numbers we can expect - we've dipped our toe in the water and we'll see what happens. If it goes mega then I'm sure they (Puppy) will commit more resources to it - if not, then it won't have cost them a bean.

10. princec

Indie Author

It'll be dead easy just to tone down the assault levels by a factor based on the player's prowess.

And yeah I can't wait to get Droid Assault and Titan Attacks on 360 too so plenty more work coming for Paul :)

Cas :)