Ultra slow response time on my new gamesite

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Scurvy Lobster, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

Slow response time on my new gamesite

Hi!

I am bringing together a small first person game set in ancient Egypt. Development is still in the early phases but I recently started working on a website to promote it.

Since I already had a hosting account on Servage.net I ordered my new domain at them. They also offered a Drupal 6 auto-installer which would speed up installation.

Now for my problem:
    After testing my work-in-progress site I noticed some insane response times when loading the site. I'm on a 10/1 MBit connection and a modern pc so I'm used to sites that load within seconds. But my site is easily 20-30 seconds to get to the frontpage and sometimes the same time to change to a new page on the site. I am quite shocked since this is the worst online hang times I have seen for nearly a decade.

I would like to see if people in here have the same experience with my site. It can be found on http://sandsofmyth.com/

I went over to my other Servage hosted site and found that the speed weren't better there. Does anyone know if I simply chose the wrong place to host a website?

#1 Scurvy Lobster, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

I counted 7 seconds, yes it is slow for me also :( 20mb tinternet.

Darren.

3. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

they probably have different servers - so I'd guess it's a server thing.

with that being said... here your site loaded bit faster (like 2-5 secs depending on page)

4. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Same result here. Not terrible, but not exactly as snappy as I'm used to.

5. Scurvy Lobster

Thanks for the answers so far.

I just tested the site again and got down a couple of seconds too. Seems like there are ups and downs in the response times and we now are in the quite snappy period. Guess that's what you get when you don't have dedicated hosting.

If anyone else can test they are still most welcome to share their result.

6. Maupin

Original Member

Loaded quickly enough for me - just a few seconds. Whois says there's only 12 sites on that server, which isn't that many on a shared account. But on a shared account you never know when someone will upload a ridiculous script or crazy SQL command that will bring the server to its knees.

7. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Over a minute and still waiting for me. My own site (www.britishindie.com) hosted on liquidweb shared server space took about 3-4 seconds.

8. AnthemAudio

Original Member

This morning, over a minute. Just right now, pretty dang fast. Someone musta forgot to jiggle the wire or reapply the electricians tape.

9. Scurvy Lobster

Thanks for testing. It looks like I have no choice but to find another host. Can't have 10-20% of users waiting more than 20 seconds just to enter the frontpage.

10. richtaur

Indie Author

I think your primary problem is you're making a lot of HTTP requests.

Code:
      <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/node/node.css?V" />

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/poll/poll.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/system/defaults.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/system/system.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/system/system-menus.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/user/user.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/dropdown.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/openid/openid.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/layout.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/graphics.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/typography.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/links.css?V" />
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/giordani/giordani.css?V" />

<!--[if IE 6]>
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/giordani/iestyles/ie6.css" />
    <![endif]-->

<!--[if IE 7]>
        <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/giordani/iestyles/ie7.css" />
    <![endif]-->

<script type="text/javascript" src="/misc/jquery.js?V"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/misc/drupal.js?V"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/js/jquery.hoverIntent.minified.js?V"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/sites/all/themes/marinelli/js/marinellidropdown.js?V"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/modules/openid/openid.js?V"></script>

Having to request another file from your server is one of the slowest things you can ask a browser to do. Try combining those files with YUI Compressor, and I think you'll see a big improvement.

See also: http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/

11. Scurvy Lobster

richtaur: you might be onto something. I am using a pretty standard Drupal 6 installation and since I am new to it I haven't really looked closely at the code.

What I don't understand however is that the page doesn't really load all that slow. Sometimes it loads in a second while other times it is as if you are simply put on hold by the webserver. I can't tell if the server is working on my site or something else.

I will take a look at the link.

12. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

You'll find slow responses like this on many large shared-hosting providers. They overload their servers to the point of near uselessness. You can certainly optimize your code but the bottom line is if your host is cramming their servers full of users with even semi-busy sites, you're not going to get much in the way of speed.

If you have the money, you might want to upgrade to a Virtual Private Server. On a VPS, you go from sharing a box with 800-1000 accounts to sharing a box with 10-20. It makes a huge difference (but you pay some big $$$ for it too). Still it's like having a dedicated server for a fraction of the cost.

Hope the mods approve my post in time for you to see it. :cool: Guess I'm still a "probie".

13. aiursrage2k

Original Member

It took around 3-4 seconds.

14. aiursrage2k

Original Member

It took around 3-4 seconds. Where is your site hosted?

15. Scurvy Lobster

At Servage (says so in first post).

I just has a 30 second load again. Really need to find a new host.

16. Escapee

Original Member

17. MikeIG

MikeIG New Member

On opera 10 it loads in 3-4 s.