UK is doomed

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by zoombapup, Jun 11, 2010.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

And the X Factor, and ... has got talent and anything else by Cowell. And Cowell himself.

If we culled all the thickies, I think we'd have almost no human population left. That would do it.

Maybe we need to engineer another plague. Actually, that is the most likely scenario for when we reach near the end of oil supplies, rather than having huge civil unrest there is bound to be some bright spark who takes it upon themselves to release a plague that literally thins out the numbers. It does make pretty good sense to do that (earlier rather than later so the planet is still usable for those left behind).

Its time for the meta-apocalypse!

2. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

And Corrie and Emmerdale and East Benders ;)

3. Escapee

Original Member

4. BarrySlisk

Original Member

The new danish windmill farm "Anholt" (not yet built) will produce 400 megawatt of electricity at 105,1 øre (17 cent) per Kwh. The price will probably rise as such things tend to do, as Cliffski points out. So this is estimated price.

Links in danish to document the price I have stated (use google translate, be aware that it translates øre, danish equivalent to cent, to cent). 1 cent is woth 6.19 øre. The link:
    http://ing.dk/artikel/109894-anholt-analyse-dyrere-havmoeller-presser-prisen-i-vejret

The Finish nuclear plant "Olkiluoto" which is being built will produce 14 billion kwh/year at a price of an originally estimated price of 25-30 øre/Kwh. The estimate has since risen to about 35 øre/Kwh, which is about 6 cent. So it can rise quite a bit before reaching the price of windmills.

Found this link which states about 3 cent:
    http://www.tvo.fi/www/page/1726/

After 20 years of service the price should fall to 15 øre/kwh (2 cent) in the remaining lifetime of the plant which is additional 40 years (got that info from a danish article).

This price is including decommisioning:
    http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf76.html

The 1994 amendment of the Act stipulates that wastes should be handled wholly in the country (the prior arrangement with Russia for Loviisa used fuel finished in 1996m). Reactor decommissioning is the responsibility of the two power companies separately, and plans are updated every five years. Responsibility for nuclear wastes remains with the power companies until its final disposal.

As of early 2008, over €1.6 billion had been accumulated in the State Nuclear Waste Management Fund from charges on generated electricity, which account for about 10% of nuclear electricity production costs.The charges are set annually by the government according to the assessed liabilities for each company, and also cover decommissioning.

So there you have it. Nuclear power is not expensive. It's dirt cheap.

#184 BarrySlisk, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  5. Artinum

Original Member

Excellent suggestions, all. These programmes are indeed designed for the hard of thinking. Could we perhaps use them in our task? For example, soap characters bettering their lives by taking cyanide pills, and the new singing sensation, Whatsisnameoff X. Factor, crediting his success to eating raw shrimp?

6. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

so the decommisioning is all done and the waste has been stored long enough that we can now scatter it on school playgrounds as its harmless?

right?

Why are there not queues of companies happy to cover the waste and security and decomissioning costs in the UK to cash in on the dirt cheap nuclear power?
    Why does not a single company express even casual interest in covering those costs?

7. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

What we really need is a Darwin Accelerator.

Just put a button in every town square. The machine asks random questions such as "What is the Beckham's first child called?", promising a lottery ticket as a prize. Anyone getting more than 1 question right gets melted down and used to lag decommisioned nuclear plants.

8. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

You guys are cracking me up.

From the country being doomed to killing off idiots.

Ahh this is awful but in a amusing way. =D

9. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Seems a perfectly linear progression to me.... :)

#189 Applewood, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  10. Merx

Indie Author

11. Nutter2000

lol, nicely stepped in there Phil or whoeever it was :D

12. BarrySlisk

Original Member

HEY!!!! What the Hell !!!!!!! Can't we even express our feelings here? Did Cliff write back? I'm left in the dark now.

Edit: At least you could have left my answers.

#192 BarrySlisk, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  13. BarrySlisk

Original Member

Lets cuddle the big successful indie guys, like Cliff, and kick the little guys around. Typical multinational indie forum cooporational behaviour! Only cares about profit....!

Ok, calm now :)

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I recommend at least finishing a game before insulting Cliff in a public forum.

(so you can get some exposure... see Epic thread) :D

15. BarrySlisk

Original Member

Oh that is the secret is it? I had a feeling I had forgotten something.

16. Nutter2000

Easy Barry, Cliff's post got scrubbed too

17. BarrySlisk

Original Member

That's too bad...Do I have to apologise to the forum admin now?

18. Nutter2000

Ah well now, as with everything in life that decision is entirely up to you ;)