Turbulent Tundra - Flash Game

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by DizzyDoo, Jun 6, 2010.

1. DizzyDoo

DizzyDoo New Member

Hallo there. I've written a flash game, it had a small development time of a month, and is very much a complete (and lesser) rip off of Canabalt. Have a go here:

Turbulent Tundra

As one of those people that tends to try making large games or complicated prototypes, I just wanted to crack out a pretty simple game. I'd say it's pretty much complete, maybe still a bug or two to fix, but I'm reasonably happy with it. I developed it with Multimedia Fusion 2 (which can now export to Flash) and created all the art myself.

I've also stuck in Mochiads, which I fully expect to make me $1.50. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I suspect I won't be.

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments and playtests.

And on a quick, amusing note, when I first published the game, I first spelt the logo 'Terbulant Tundra'. Never flatten your Photoshop layers.

2. barrygamer

Original Member

fun game! nice. I like the canabalt style, and the fact its slightly easier. good random generation of levels too.
    I think it would do pretty well on flash portals? (or knock out an iphone port).

Edit: add a button to silence the music.
    Edit: my best score is 37,693 on the mochi scoreboard.

#2 barrygamer, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  3. DizzyDoo

DizzyDoo New Member

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I hope it does. I'm just not sure which are the big portals I should send it to. Newgrounds, obviously, Kongregate doesn't allow the ads, but I'm not really aware of any others.

4. barrygamer

Original Member

I am top, with 90,421 :D Great fun.

5. CousinGilgamesh

CousinGilgamesh New Member

And I thought I did so well with my 21,392...

pretty solid fun for a couple of minutes! I thought it was a little funny that you had a story though. The funniest thing about your story was that you said "but none of that matters now." Why would you even tell the story in the first place if it doesn't even matter?

Story did remind me of Surfs Up though, which was an awesome movie.

Unfortunately for you, I have to compare this game against Dino Run (dinosaurs trying to outrun cataclysmic weather apocalypse), which is one of my favorite browser games ever. One of Dino Run's achievements is that it lets you at least win a couple of levels first before making you go extinct. Although you are doomed from the start, you can still get a sense of achievement out of winning a few minor battles before going down. With your game, you don't really get to feel any kind of achievement before biting the dust. Also I would add more variety to the obstacles if I were you.

Also, I feel like an ass to say this, but your game doesn't take place on the tundra. Tundra is up north where the dirt ground is frozen and all the trees are dwarfed because they can't extend their roots very far into the cold frozen ground. Your game is on a collapsing iceberg. I know calling it tundra allows you to make use of your totally awesome alliteration skills, but there's a big difference...

I know this was just a short project for you that you wanted to finish quickly, so please take all my criticisms with a grain of salt. Good look with the mochiads.

6. tolik

Original Member

boring as hell

7. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

You shouldn't release games like this without first getting sponsorship from FlashGameLicense.com ... as you say, you'll make $1.50 from Mochiads if you're lucky, but you should be able to get at least a hundred bucks from a sponsor. Not that a hundred bucks is a great return on a month of work, but it's better than nothing.

8. DizzyDoo

DizzyDoo New Member

No idea how you did it. Congrats though.

Purely because I thought having an intricate back story for a game which consists of a penguin running would be funny.

Oh, Dinorun is fantastic. I'm going to lose every comparison with that gem. :p Yeah, I'm sure adding some more obstacles would flesh the game out a bit, but I don't think I could split the game into levels without the concept, which is really very simple, falling apart a bit. Where as Dinorun is much more level/achievement based, Turbulent Tundra is just about the score and that alone.

shhhhhhh.

Yeah, guess I'm learning as I go. Definitely with my next attempt though.

Oh, I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy it. What kind of improvements would you make?

9. Bmc

Bmc New Member

It's meant to be a simple game so I won't really comment much on the mechanics of it, although I'm sure there is things you could do to make it pop.

1) up the speed a bit
    2) Maybe introduce some type of "coin" (a fish would be a good symbol) that will appear at random locations, tempting the player to jump and get it, or hold of jumping etc.

I do find there are some aesthetic problems which could easily be fixed. Obviously this is just my opinion so take what you will from them.

1) I'd like to see the penguin sliding on it's belly instead of running. Do a nice little 3-4 frame animation of the penguins body reacting to the sliding.
    2) Canabalt has the footsteps which really add to the experience, I'd like to hear a sliding noise that gets more pronounced the faster the penguin is going.
    3) Something is a little off with the BG music. I think maybe just hearing the ice collapse, the penguin sliding and perhaps the occasional "artic sound" in the background (like a polar bear growl, or maybe the bark of a seal etc)
    4) I think there is an opportunity to make the background a little prettier, set it at night time and try to get a simple animation representing the Northern Lights going on behind the mountains.
    5) The snowman and tree obstacles. While the snowman is sort of cute, the tree doesn't look like it belongs. Maybe replace it with a big rock.
    6) The iceberg falling animation seems a little choppy, not sure what's going on there but if it could be smoothed somehow I think it would make a big difference in look.

10. tolik

Original Member

It has no spirit or feeling of Canabalt.

11. andrew

andrew New Member

^^^ +1

Also, get rid of the ads, make a separate version, and put it on Kongregate. They have their own ad rev-share which is 5-10x higher than Mochi CPM's.

- andrew

12. Bad Sector

Original Member

I've got more from MochiAds than i've got from Kongregate. Btw, you don't need to remove MochiAds from the SWF you publish at Kongregate. They are 'silenced' automatically (Kongregate's submission page mentions that).

13. DizzyDoo

DizzyDoo New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, seriously, they're helpful to me. Anything else, don't hesitate to say. I'll take it all and think about how it applies to my next game.

14. GMarkou

Original Member

Oh, the joy of game balancing. I found it too fast, you say it's slow. Now what? :)

15. Melin

Original Member

Cool little game. A few things though:

1. The BG music: It seems rather off. It's not bad, it's just not suitable for the game. I'd have that kind of music when the camera is sweeping over the tundra in Planet Earth. It doesn't give you any feeling of that you have to hurry up.
    2. SFX, or rather the lack of them. Add something to accentuate the movement of the penguin. Maybe even a sweeping sound when jumping.

Oh, and it could definitely be a bit faster.

Other than that, a nice little game.

Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

16. tafty

Original Member

If you implement their API it would probably do well on MindJolt:

http://developer.mindjolt.com/

17. electronicStar

Original Member

Startup is way too slow.
    Before submitting to kongregate I would advise to integrate their API, it's really worth it if they pick you up for badges, otherwise your game will be quickly forgotten.

18. JoKa

Indie Author

That's true, but I noticed a massive slowdown in a game I submitted. After removing Mochiads it worked fine. Even Kongregate staff couldn't tell me what caused the problem.

19. barrygamer

Original Member

I just blitzed the highest score: 125,701 :D It was a lucky run, no awkward trees... until the end. I cant see myself beating that.

BTW I see the game appearing on quite a few flash game sites, how did you go about submitting it? Or did you use flashgamelicence (I dont see a sponser tho). Ah, are you hosting it via mochi - I guess it automatically gets picked up from there?

20. Sue

Sue New Member

Fun little game and nice graphics. One minor point though on the instructions page iceberg is spelt incorrectly.