Trial by Viking [WIP]

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by dqhendricks, Oct 23, 2014.

1. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

[​IMG]

Hello Indie Gamers. This is my upcoming title, Trial by Viking. It's a side-scrolling platformer where you are a viking working as an agent of Odin. In unfamiliar lands, you will meet friends and foes, solve a few puzzles, and gain the powers needed to stop the trickster god, Loki. If you are able to survive tricky gauntlets of magic and steel, you will find yourself face to face with some of the worst terrors that the nine worlds have to offer. Good luck!

Features:

• morph into a polar bear
    • control a flying Valkyrie through mazes of hazards
    • ride on the claws of a great owl like a zip line
    • fight a Kraken in a swimming pool
    • bombs, double jump, dash, grappling hook
    • an ice axe for freezing enemies and turning them in to stepping stones
    • ride on a viking ship while having axe battles with Kobolds
    • keys, switches, gears, ropes, hidden areas, and other tricky elements
    • multi-platform
    • 130 levels
    • 27 intense boss/miniboss battles
    • 20 permanent upgrades
    • 70 unique ai/enemies
    • power ups like mini viking, metal viking, and time slow

Web: http://lastlifegames.com/trialbyviking
    Twitter: @0xlastlifegames
    Mailing List: click here

Update #1:

Development of Trial by Viking started at the end of 2013. Honestly this game started out with an idea of mixing Ghosts and Goblins with Cut the Rope, because I thought that would be weird and cool, but it has grown into something so far from that. I really wanted to give the game a great feel, and some of the earlier concepts just weren't right. I still make use of ropes and being able to cut them to solve puzzles, but I have changed it so that you use an axe to cut ropes instead of some sort of mouse/touch system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 dqhendricks, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. CCHAudio

CCHAudio New Member

Cool looks fun, reminds me of the Lost Vikings a little if anyone remembers that

3. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Thanks CCH!

4. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #2:

I wanted to show you guys some a few of the enemies from Trial by Viking. Here's what it looks like to be fighting a treant at night. They have rotating shield magic as well as a stomping power that sends tremors your way. A very tough opponent. More to come soon!

[​IMG]

5. CCHAudio

CCHAudio New Member

I love the animation for the treant/ent/giant-tree-monster, good stuff

6. AMAXANG-GAMES

AMAXANG-GAMES New Member

Really a fantastic game. Very Nice!

7. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! Been working real hard on this.

8. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #3:

One of the things I had liked about Spelunky, is how different elements in the game can sort of interact with each other. I made sure that many of the elements in Trial by Viking can affect each other in maybe unexpected ways, which sets up some interesting situations. For instance, you may throw a boomerang to activate a switch that turns on a fan that can blow a block upward enough for you to push it onto a ledge with a pressure plate that opens a door.

[​IMG]

#8 dqhendricks, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  9. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #4:

If there is anything I hate, it's crates. I can't seem to complete a level without smashing every last one. :D

[​IMG]

10. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Looks very polished. I had a few questions but I've answered them myself!

http://lastlifegames.com/trialbyviking

Trial by Viking is a side-scrolling action RPG puzzle platformer about a viking in the worlds of the Norse gods, for Win, Mac, WiiU, and possibly more. Coming 2015!

11. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Thanks lennard! Yeah, I supposed I should have added the website :eek:

12. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Really lovely animations and backgrounds.

13. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Thanks Dan!

- - - Updated - - -

Update #5:

I wanted to show a bit more of the enemies. Here are some dragonkin flipping about!

[​IMG]

#13 dqhendricks, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  14. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #6:

Hey guys. Today I wanted to show you how some of the rope mechanics in the game work. Ropes in the game hold things in place, allow you to swing those things, ride those things, and you can even cut the ropes with your weapons. This allows for some interesting timing-based challenges.

I love this mechanic, and it's one of the first things I created for this game, but I will say that it does have one downside. The ability to cut ropes is an irreversible action. Meaning, if you don't design your level carefully, there are opportunities for the player to get stuck after making the wrong move.

[​IMG]

15. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #7:

Some levels are a little puzzly, but other levels are just a mad dash. :zelmo:

[​IMG]

16. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #8:

I've had this idea for a level that has rising water for a while now. I finally got around to it. You have 15 seconds of breath, and the water wakes up the anglers spread throughout the level. some other cool ideas were changing the pitch of the water rushing in sound, depending on whether you are submerged or not. eventually you will be able to get an upgrade from odin that doubles your breath time. all together i think it came out really cool.

[​IMG]

17. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #9:

Throughout the game, there are levels where you ride a viking long boat. This means you have to play fast and not miss the bus. Since I have other levels where you can actually swim in the water, I had to find a way to make this water lethal. So I added a megalodon :D

[​IMG]

18. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #10:

I was like, if he's gonna charge, he should definitely crash through some stuff :D

[​IMG]

19. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #11:

The Grappling Hook! This is one of the upgrades that Odin can grant you later in the game. So many grappling hooks I've played with take to long to aim and are cumbersome to use. I wanted to make sure this one was simple and fast to use. Sorry for the darkness of my gifs. For some reason my screen caps are way darker than the actual game.

[​IMG]

#19 dqhendricks, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  20. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Update #12:

This giant rock golem fight is inspired by the Crocomire fight in Super Metroid. If you know your video game history, you know there is only one way to win this battle.

[​IMG]