Treasure Tomb so far

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Oct 3, 2007.

1. princec

Indie Author

We've been beavering away on our new "mini"game, Treasure Tomb, for the last 3 months, and this is what we've managed to come up with so far:

Whack this link to launch Treasure Tomb (Mac, Windows, or Linux)

Objective is to enter the portals repeatedly to progress through the levels in each portal. Currently there are only two levels, both "Moonbase Alpha" ones, in the portal directly to the southwest of your spawn point. We've got a test Gardens of Moog level and a test Hell level as well but they really are just tests of tiles and such.

We're entirely aware that this game isn't in the least bit casual, but we still aim to fit all the instructions you need to play it on one screen. The rest, we hope, you'll enjoy discovering for yourselves. The instructions are likely to read something like:

Enter portals and loot them of all TREASURE
    Find KEYS to open LOCKS and escape each world
    Step on SWITCHES to solve puzzles
    Talk to SCIENTISTS and use TERMINALS
    CURSOR KEYS to move CTRL to shoot

with graphics helping the words in caps there.

(btw your gamepad should work, too)

What do you think of it so far? ETA is another 4 months - we've got another 62 maps to design :(

Cas :)

2. Agent 4125

Indie Author

I clicked the link, and Java Web Start downloaded all the files, and then it quit silently without errors. When I try to run it again, it just exits after the Web Start splash.

Same thing happened when I tried an earlier version that you posted on another forum.

I'm on XP, 2.4 GHz, GeForce Ti4200.

3. papillon

Indie Author

Cute once I got the hang of it, although it commits the horrible sin of being a keyboard driven game with a mouse-driven menu!

What's a terminal and how do I use it? I'm not always sure what I'm seeing. :)

Minimaps might or might not be useful on complicated levels, dunno.

Perhaps a little happy song and dance when a level is cleared? I'm not entirely sure if I 'won' the map or not.

#3 papillon, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  4. Maupin

Original Member

I like the retro design a lot. Also enjoyed auto-targeting and shooting little droids. It took me quite a while to figure out how to leave the world with the trees. One thing I didn't get was the lower left status display. My character was sometimes berzerk, sometimes foolhardy, etc.

I played a lot longer than I expected to because of the retroish style. You're right that it's not very casual...

And I hated the Java installer thing. Actually I hate any sort of managed download system, but this one was especially weird and unfamiliar (to me anyway).

5. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

I can't control the menu at all with either keyboard or gamepad. (Mouse works.)

I can shoot with the gamepad, but I can't move.

I can move left with the keyboard, but once I release the cursor key, my character start moving to the right again. I can't move vertically at all.

I can't turn off the gamepad controls at all, with gamepad, keyboard, or mouse.

6. moxica

Original Member

The game works fine, the Puppy design still rocks and fits the game very well BUT, such as Pkeod, once the (red) game over screen was there, badaboom, the cpu crashed (running Xp, P4 3GHz, ATIradeon9600).

7. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

worked just fine for me, but my initial impression was EEEEK blocky graphics! I know that's the style, but I think they seemed way blockier than earlier puppygames stuff, which seemed to 'glow' a lot more.
    You need some music I reckon, some simple electronic midi stuff that gives the game a feeling of purpose and urgency, maybe also helping to reflect how well you are doing. I really like the game idea, I got that little endorphin rush when I realised I could push a crate onto the switch to open the door, you need lots of them (or similar stuff), plus the gem effect when you pick those up was nice.
    I never felt threatened by anything though, the bad guys were just a nusiance and way too easy to fight off.
    Finish it dude :D

8. Adrian Cummings

Indie Author

Zelda'ish meets blocky pixels in true Puppy games styleee - I quite like it as is but I think the graphics perhaps should of been less blocky by 50%... as they are, they are truely super phat mega pixels! :)

Feels kind of right to play though - so far I give it thumbs up.

Java launcher thing worked fine here on Vista machine too.

9. princec

Indie Author

I'll just try and round up a few of the comments here in one post:

1. You may have noticed the title screen isn't done yet :) So don't be expecting the mouse/keyboard/joypad interaction in there just now!

2. If your controls are stuck on, possibly this is your joypad. I probably won't put in an option to disable it though because it'll only affect a tiny tiny tiny number of people and I hate putting in extra options to cater for tiny tiny minorities.

3. Anybody experiencing crashes - it would be extraspeciallovely if you could turn on logging in your Java Control Panel and fish out the log file for me (Docs & Settings\<you>\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\logs)

4. We've got something special planned for the music, as you can tell there isn't any yet though! Also all of the sound effects are just temporary, pinched from other games.

5. The bad guys are deliberately easy on the early levels - I spent most of yesterday trying to tune the game to make it easier! However you can get a taste for what they're like on the later levels by tapping ] seven times (to raise the difficulty to maximum). Gets a bit more hectic, yes?

6. There's no end-of-level effect yet but we'll be doing one because the player needs to be rewarded in some way. In particular we want to tell you how many treasures you collected out of the total laid down. Did you find all the secret areas?

7. Your bravery rating affects the score you get for shooting gidrahs. Keep moving to raise the bravery level; if you stand still, it plummets until you score 0 points for a kill.

8. Webstart is just for development testing purposes; the real game comes with an installer. In the meantime though I can just patch it and you can get incremental updates :)

10. berserker

Indie Author

Yeah, graphics is too grotesque and look quite depressing to me... Liked how you auto-target enemies though sometimes targets explosive boxes instead of actual enemies.
    ________
    Mercedes-benz atego history

#10 berserker, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  11. willevolve

willevolve New Member

Had lots of fun, walked over the lava and died, and the game crashed at that point also.

Will turn on the log.

:)

12. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

Wow, pretty amazing!
    I died, but the game kept running just fine.
    Seemed like the only thing that caused me damage was the lava (?)
    Going psychotic is quite fun.
    I also dig the blockier than ever graphics.

Oh, and I didn't understand what was making the bravery thing go down until I read your comment. Maybe you could put a little down arrow icon next to it when it's going down and an up arrow when it's going up?

13. Mikademus

Mikademus New Member

Clicked the link, got a "Java Startup" or something splash screen, then I get a windows error dialogue saying the resource can't be started. Happens in both FF and IE.

14. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Game crashed when I died.

Ran very smoothly (was v impressed with the smooth scrolling ... no jitter or anything).

Took quite a while to work out what was going on and to find my way around the game.

The 8 way thing felt a little restrictive at times ... not sure why that was.

I quite liked the blockey thing ... esp. the pack man + ghosts.

15. FiNiPa

Indie Author

very very nice and very addictive. I wish I would have such a deep knowledge of Java ( I would need it know ;) )

A few crits if you don't mind:

1. You directly turn to full screen which I don't like very much without asking me first.
    2. On my 1680x1050 display the art was pretty blocky, I would say too blocky, but I like the style
    3. Changing to window mode is disabled

On the technical side all went very nice and without any hassle.

Keep it coming!

#15 FiNiPa, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  16. princec

Indie Author

Tweaked and uploaded - could you check if it still crashes when you die? (Also there's another moonbase level, 3 so far! They take bloody ages to do)

17. ChrisP

Indie Author

This is cool. I played it yesterday and died on the second moonbase level after not leaving any gems on the level - only to be told after dying that a gem would save me. Gaaah. :p

I played it again just now, simply because I wanted to, which is a good sign! Finished the two moonbase levels and one each of the hell/garden levels, which I think means I've run out. I haven't downloaded the update.

A few comments:

- I love the Pac-Man references. Heh.

- The auto-targeting is great, but occasonally it makes bad decisions. At one point, in the second moonbase level I think it was, I had a big robot directly in front of me (the type that takes 3 shots to kill) and a smaller one diagonal to me on the other side of an obstacle. It targeted the smaller one, even though shots fired at it had no effect (since they just hit the obstacle in between us), and I was facing straight on to the larger one.

- I wasn't sure how to influence the bravery rating on the left beyond the powerup that makes you temporarily psychotic. I just read your explanation above. Might be a good idea to mention that somewhere in the game.

- Sometimes the enemies spawn REALLY fast; as soon as one finishes spawning another one spawns. This is probably intentional, but it did lead to me sitting there with my finger on the fire button for a while, blowing them up as soon as they spawned, which is probably not something you want to encourage... but I guess that's why you have a bravery rating.

- I once saw a large (3-shots-to-kill) enemy start to fade in on a spawn point, before apparently being pre-empted by a couple of smaller enemies. After two smaller enemies had spawned in rapid succession, the large enemy re-appeared and finished spawning. (Or maybe it was a different large enemy, who knows.)

- Contrary to some other opinions, I don't mind the Java web start thing. It used to annoy me greatly with its stupid pointless taskbar icon (</rant>) on Windows, but it works great on Linux. Once I'd figured out how to install Java on Ubuntu (the packages are listed under S for Sun, not J for Java!), everything went off without a hitch.

Anyway, fun game. I'm sure it'll be very successful, even if it isn't at all casual. :)

18. Mephs

Mephs New Member

I suffered from the silent crash at startup on my work machine. In my case I just updated java from the control panel and it has now started up, so that may help fix the problem for anyone else having the issue.

Just about to go give it a shot :)

Cheers,

Steve

19. techbear

Original Member

It worked fine for me, and I thought it was fun. I found the cute pacman reference - very funny! :)

I'm not sure I like the bravery system, conceptually, but I could be wrong, it might be well recieved. In a Japanes rogue-alike I played a while back, they injected a super-monster into the level if you spent too much time there. Mebbe you should try that.

20. barrygamer

Original Member

Yup, I thought it was fun too. My points are similar to those above:

Perhaps more aliens to blast, with less respawns? Respawns were a bit sneaky sometimes. Should enemies at start need at least a couple more hits to die, they die very easy [Edit: ah, you say its set to easy].
    Wasn't always sure if I was supposed to interact with terminals etc.

One thing I really liked about Titan was the backdrops. I don't know if theres anything equivalent you can do (instead of the black bg?). I can't think what though. Perhaps go all-out for the techno/glowy moonbase look everywhere you can, even more fancy effects etc.

The rooms seem small, while the start area seemed almost too large. Perhaps some more medium-sized rooms, connected with corridors?

I didn't really look at the bravery feature...(!) it needs to be introduced/ made clear.

(no bugs/probs, runs smooth on Mac intel, 10.4.8 ).