TRAILER for my upcoming game.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Leper, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Leper

Original Member

I used a nice app called fraps and created a trailer of my upcoming game. I still have a lot of work to do, but I thought I'd show everyone what's going on so far!

The trailer is 5 megs, in wmv format. I've had trouble playing it in WinAmp the first time for some reason. So to play in winamp you might have to stop and hit play again to see it correctly. That might be something just happening on my computer though. However Windows Media Player plays it perfectly fine.

Thanks guys, please let me know what you think!!!

Download Trailer

2. Savant

Original Member

I think it looks cool, Matt! Nice work.

One thing I would suggest is some more feedback on when you actually hit the aliens. It wasn't always clear that the shots were making contact. Check out "Alien Outbreak 2" - that game makes it very clear through both sound and visuals that you're making contact.

3. Leper

Original Member

Thanks Savant. Yeah, I do have them turn red and particles fly off them when they get hit. Sometimes lasers go right through them so I believe there is a problem with my collision detection. I'll have to completely rework it sometime in the near future. If turning red and particles coming off, what else would be cool to show them getting hit?

4. Savant

Original Member

It's hard to quantify. It's a feel thing. Alien Outbreak 2 does a little screen shake when larger aliens are killed, they have health bars, etc. But maybe that isn't right for your game.

It's a totally subjective thing, sorry. :)

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Video is cool... looks like its really difficult to hit the aliens though, even with the multi weapons. You should also consider upping the fire rate - on some of them you've got a half second delay between shots and I don't think gamers will like that.

6. Leper

Original Member

hmm its actually right where I want it atm. There are lots of verticle shooters that dont have rapid fire, etc. The shooting seems just right to me, I was kinda moving around in the video to show the scrolling. As far as lasers hitting the guys, that needs improved.

@Pkoed: I have the same problem when I play it in Winamp, did you try it in Windows Media Player?

#6 Leper, Jan 1, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  7. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

surely someone should move this to the feedback forum?

8. princec

Indie Author

He's probably going to tell me that only took 2 weeks to code now :( And here's me still slugging away on my space invaders clone, 10 months later...

Cas :)

9. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

I thought it was pretty good. There was only one small hitch that bothered me though. The lower line of aliens were difficult to see as they seemed to be the same colour as the background. Could be my old eyes too, but I found myself straining them to see where they were :)

10. Leper

Original Member

Frozen does bring up a good point. I wanted the colors to match the backround, but at the same time they shouldn't be camoflauge. So what color would you guys recommend?

11. techbear

Original Member

The best thing is that super-scrolling background with the planets. VERY nice! The game speed and overall look are both good.

I agree with others that the weakest part is enemies interacting with bullets. Spicing it up can take many forms, but break down into two parts: size, and time. You can have bigger explosions, and you can have those explosions go on for a longer period of time. Look at Wierd Worlds: Infinite Space. I fully plan on stealing their tequniqies for ship combat in the near future.

Good job!

12. Vorax

Original Member

Looks nice and looks fun :)

13. Kaos

Original Member

ok looks freaking awesome! I love space shooters, hope to see a beta version here soon, can't wait!

btw, wmv file played flawless with VLC, winamp is kinda slow compared to VLC, free player, grab it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc

14. electronicStar

Original Member

That looks great! Better than what I expected.
    My only concern is with the movement of the player it seems to move a bit too fast with too much inertia.
    It seems (from watching the video) that there is a lot of potential for players loosing a ship because they couldn't control the movement of their ship. That would be very frustrating.

15. Leper

Original Member

Heh.. that's me moving the mouse like crazy for fun :D It's actually quite easy to control, for me at least. We'll probably have to tweak it in the later stages once a playable demo is available and I can get some testing going.

at techbear: well I had bigger explosions before but then I was told they were too big. *shrugs* Not sure how I'm going to go with the explosions atm, but in later stages of development I plan on having unique explosions that will go according to each enemy type.

All in all, I'm on a limited budget so I have to work with the best that I can get. :) Also, I'm learning bmax as I go too, so I'm unsure of how much longer I have until it is finally completed.

#15 Leper, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  16. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Congrats Leper, it's looking really good. So when's the first playable eh?

17. TimS

Original Member

Perhaps I am weak... like little girl... but that scrolling effect is quite likely to make me ill whilst playing. Mebbe you should make it turn-offable in the options menu?

Other than that, looks pretty good so far.

So how far are you from release?

18. mooktown

Original Member

could you post a few screenshots to see before I download? :)

19. Leper

Original Member

20. Leper

Original Member

GamePlay Video!!!

http://www.mattmcfarland.com/IntrTrl2.wmv

Please Right Click and click "Save as"

-This video shows the game in action, you can see how the ship is controlled more then the trailer, and you can see how the enemies behave, etc. The framerate was dropped to save space, so it is MUCH smoother in real time then recorded.
    I've also done a bunch of updates (new ship, bigger enemies)
    Hope you like!!

#20 Leper, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006