Totem Tribe released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by berserker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Maupin

Original Member

It has a fairly active forum on BFG, so it is indeed very odd that it's not in the top 100.

2. Cray

Cray New Member

You have to look at it from their point of view... if they're going to feature a game, why should it be one that potential customers will think "This was for free at gamehouse yesterday. I should check there more often"? Or even worse, BFG's loyal customers talk to other players about it & find out that way.

The top 100 thing might be unrelated. Another game that I think saw given away for free there is sitting at #1 on mac charts.

Your game is doing very well at all the other portals I've seen list it though - congratulations! Maybe you don't need BFG this time around :)

3. berserker

Indie Author

That is exactly my thoughts. If they don't need me, perhaps I don't need them as well. Just another incentive to go direct. Totem Tribe generated critical momentum everywhere, forums on GameZebo and Jayisgames have over 1000 posts within a week. Lots of talking on other forums like Real, BFG, Shockwave, PlayFirst discussion boards, Yahoo! answers. People have no trouble googling to find solutions for this game or to find out actual developer to ask for hints.

I think we will try to do it directly only next time to see how it will work. This game is a great chance for us to build Enkord.com community around it. And that's why I am working on redesigning our website to add community features like forum and blog and make it less official and more dynamic. Let's see how it will work.
    ________
    CHRYSLER SOHC V6 ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

#43 berserker, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. berserker

Indie Author

I shouldn't. If you read this topic from the beginning you will notice that I was told by them that it will happen. I am just sharing my experience with other developers. If they decided to do like they did - it's their choice and they have right to do it.
    ________
    Alaska Dispensaries

#44 berserker, Feb 2, 2009
  5. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

@Jake: The game gets flame icon when it gets into top 20 list on BFG. If Totem Tribe reached #13 then it would got flame icon... but if it was removed from top 100, then why should they keep flame icon?

6. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I think too many devs with that attitude is what has got casual game developers into the current mess...

7. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

8. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Why do you think its weird that a company pulls a lame stunt like this? companies do that (and far worse) on a daily basis, we just dont often hear about it.

Sad to hear it happening, but thems the breaks when you work with partners who are in a far stronger position.

9. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Maybe you could ask them about it Yaroslav?

If they have pulled it for some reason, isn't it good to be informed, and know why? Sure, they may or may not tell you, but surely it's always good to have a positive relationship with these guys, and understand exactly why they made the descision they did.

Generally, I think you get much more milage from people (which is what all big companies are anyway) by being polite and respectful, and creating a win-win relationship. Just an idea!

10. berserker

Indie Author

Are you reading this thread or just selected posts? I've clearly described the reason cause they clearly told me it.
    ________
    FREE DRUPAL THEMES

#50 berserker, Feb 11, 2009
  11. jcottier

jcottier New Member

:eek:
    Berserker, if you talk to your business partners the same way you talk to the people on this forum, I can start to imagine why you are in this situation. Do you have to be so agressive? No, so don't be.

JC

12. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Yes, I did read through the whole thread. :)

I assuming you refer to the above. If I was in your situation, I'd be in contact with BFG, let them know I apprecieate they have their reasons for making that descision, and that I accept it.

I'd also want to know what guidelines they have, what kind of behaviour they like (i.e. what makes them happy and want to push my game) and what they don't like from their developer partners. Their guidelines may or may not match up with where I want to go; but there is no harm in being aware of them.

Also, I played your demo; I mostly liked it (I love these kind of games) but thought there were one of two places you could have polished a bit more. On the scrolling, it seemed quite granular. It could have been better to have a granular target for screen x and y, but move to that location smoothly, like with a gravity or momentum effect. Also, it seemed to hang (pause) at some point, and you can't even move the mouse; it was for longer than 2 seconds on my laptop.

Hope that's useful feedback to you.

Kindest Regards,
    Jamie.

13. berserker

Indie Author

No, I was referring to these post
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showpost.php?p=184652&postcount=34
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showpost.php?p=184668&postcount=36

Man, maybe I wasn't clear enough, but by "they" I mean BFG. It would be silly for me to make up all this noise basing only on wild guesses.

Sorry for being rude, but you aren't. See, I might be pissed off but that doesn't matter, they have the right and authority to do as they did, it's not a problem. It's not a question of being aware of someone's guidelines. I brought this subject up not to ask for suggestions how to be, but to warn other people that such situation is possible and that's all.
    ________
    Germany / austria cooking

#53 berserker, Feb 11, 2009
  14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I did read it from the beginning. I see that you were told that they would not promote it but that's not the same as actually removing it from the top 100 using some naughty fixing - that's what I meant ask them about. Perhaps you'll discover that due to the lack of promotion it simply didn't make enough sales to stay in the top 100, but it's weird that it got to 13 and was then gone, you'd expect it to slide out over a week or so...So something odd seems to have happened and it's worth (politely) getting an explanation to end speculation imho.

15. berserker

Indie Author

Don't think I didn't asked (politely) back in the days. So to end speculation - yes, that naughty fix is one of those anti-promotinal stuff, so nothing weird.
    ________
    No2 vaporizers

#55 berserker, Feb 11, 2009
  16. Grey Alien

Indie Author

#56 Grey Alien, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009