Totem Tribe released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by berserker, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

I'm afraid you might be right. I don't know when BFG said no to Totem Tribe, but it looks like it was released on 5 portals before they reacted. It's their fault, but you can't do much about it. Nowadays you should be happy if all portals accept your game at all - telling them to release it on the same day doesn't always work if you're not a big guy.

cheers
    Roman

2. berserker

Indie Author

We already did that simultaneous release back in the days with Svetlograd without much problems.
    I provided BigFish with build around the same time as other portals, they just didn't released it with others. And this is actually weird considering that Big Fish has the fastest QA/Deployment from my experience. I have a feeling that they are just too loaded with exclusives that they don't care much about non-exclusives anymore.
    ________
    Yamaha r15 history

#22 berserker, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. berserker

Indie Author

They do not actually rejected it yet, but apparently they just put it to the back of their queue.
    ________
    TUBE 8

#23 berserker, Jan 27, 2009
  4. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

When I click on your screenshot links I get a warning that claims your site has hosted malware in the last 90 days. What's up with that?

[​IMG]

When I click on "Why was this site blocked?":

5. berserker

Indie Author

Duh, read the thread from the beginning, man :mad:
    ________
    Lhs

#25 berserker, Jan 27, 2009
  6. Desktop Gaming

Hang on - what are you getting arsey with me for? Go and be arsey with google. Its not my fault. :mad:

7. berserker

Indie Author

Do you always post into the thread before reading it? Thing you are trying to point on already discussed in posts #8-#13 right in this thread
    ________
    Portable vaporizers

#27 berserker, Jan 27, 2009
  8. bondarchukv

Original Member

Congrats on release!

Game released just in time (sim\strategy wave) :)

btw:
    Just want to ask.
    Hero`s picture looks (in some way) provocative, intentionally ? :)

9. Desktop Gaming

Can you drop the attitude? I'm not talking to you as if you're something I've found stuck to the sole of my shoe, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop doing it to me.

I'll bear your lack of people skills in mind the next time I think about posting in one of your threads. :rolleyes:

10. berserker

Indie Author

Really? What do you mean? :)
    ________
    Extreme Vaporizer Review

#30 berserker, Jan 27, 2009
  11. bondarchukv

Original Member

12. jcottier

jcottier New Member

You scared us for nothing then. Suddenly, I thought BFG was becoming as stupid as the others... Letting it slip is not that bad. You will still get load of sales from it when ever it is released on BFG (as it seems to be a very good game).

JC

13. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

And it will be released tomorrow. Probably at the best day of the week to release the game.

14. berserker

Indie Author

I never said it was rejected. I was told that they are going to release it but do absolutely no promotion due to the fact I mentioned above. Doing that is pretty close to being rejected as usually launching the game involves some promotion like featuring the game in newsletter, prominent spot on front page (at least for a brief period of time) etc. Putting the game straight into the back catalog of games right after release is not something that I am looking forward to when portal launches my game. We'll see with game sales of course but I better skip on release at specific portal at all instead of ending up in such situation.

This is really funny cause I've NEVER gave any exclusives to any party, always fighting to have everyone getting our games at the same time on the same terms. This issue pushing me to consider doing exclusive with their competitors next time around.
    ________
    CIVIC (FOURTH GENERATION)

#34 berserker, Jan 28, 2009
  15. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

I don't know about your experience, but my experience is that you don't get any promotion at all if you don't give some kind of exclusivity (beside releasing the game). But if your games performs well it gets features in newsletters or on the front page anyway.

16. berserker

Indie Author

Perhaps I communicate not clear enough. They told me that this game won't get any promotion at all.
    ________
    Vaporizer Information

#36 berserker, Jan 28, 2009
  17. berserker

Indie Author

Ok, now since the game was actually released on BFG we can continue this story. As some of you may seen the game was released silently without any front page featuring etc., and got to #13 in their top 100 in a few days after release. On the next day it mysteriously vanishes from their top 100 completely without trace.

So at this moment the game still in top lists on various portals including Real, but out of top 100 on BFG. Was it because of bad sales? No, I don't think so.
    Was it because of politics involved? Hell yeah! I am pretty sure it's because of it.

I hope my experience will be a warning to those people who will try to release games with both portals an the same time. Shit happens.
    ________
    Mercedes-benz o305 history

#37 berserker, Feb 1, 2009
  18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well now I'm really curious to hear those people that were saying that a Portal War for exclusivity would actually help developers...:rolleyes:

19. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Honestly, I do watch Totem Tribe performance at BFG very closely, but I did miss the fact that it reached #13 on top 100... but still, it was very mysterious that it didn't get into any top list as a new release (it should at least in strategy games).

20. Grey Alien

Indie Author

That's pretty weird that it got that high and then dropped out. I too looked for it the other day as I recognised it from Roman's blog but didn't see it in the top 100 and wondered if it was a bad game or something (no offense meant), which would have been strange given your past record. On the new releases page it doesn't have a flame next to it which means it's not hot and games like that don't make it into the top 100 for long. Perhaps you should ask BFG about it...