Torque 3D Engine...

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Mickey Crocker, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I downloaded Blitz3D and Dark Basic. I really didn't get anywhere with DArk Basic because they didn't have a lot of samples and my basic is pretty rusty. However, I Blitz3D was very easy to use; I added my model ".x format" to an existing program and it worked just fine.

I didn't see a FPS counter in the screen; is the engine fast enough to make a Real Time Strategy? Also, are there any problems with things like particle effects and beam weapons; I didn't see any in the demos? And I assume that it has no network support?

Lastly, when you say Torque is geared towards FPS. Does it have problems with 3rd person perspective space games?

2. wazoo

Original Member

Torque is pretty versatile

I don't buy into the idea that Torque is only usefull for FPS style games. It's just an engine after all.

You the developer script it to however you want your game to look.

Just move the camera projection into orthogonal, and bam, you've got a 2d screen, etc.

So I would say that it could handle a 3rd person persp. title no problem, just as it could also probably handle an RTS and RPG...

3. Aldacron

Original Member

A Torque-based RTS

Torque Retro (2D)

3rd person perspective Torque Racer

I know I've seen screenies from a couple of Torque space games, also. They must have been posted in .plans, as I didn't see any in the gallery back to October of last year. They do exist somewhere on the GG site, though.

Just wanted to show that you can do more than FPS games with Torque. You can browse the gallery here .

4. Sean Doherty

Original Member

After about a month and a half dozen downloads here is my list:

The smart move would be to go with Blitz3D; but I don't think I ready for that kind of change. So as it stands, I am now leaning toward Torque. The big problem is the demo basically gives away nothing about what it is like to actually use. The Blitz3D Demo is excellent; so how difficult is Torque to use compared to Dark Basic. Also, it is odd that Garage Games doesn't seem to have a refund policy for Torque considering all the Indie Games are usually 30 days?

5. world_creator

Original Member

blitz3d user

well, i for one and a blitz3d user and its the second programming language i learned (my first was darkbasic). darkbasic was cool but blitz has way more functionality for me, but ive been out of darkbasic for a long time now so im not in a position to compare. the game im working on was made in blitz3d (http://betablocker.budfish.com/) and i must say that im very content with what its done for me thus far. i know some c++ but thats basically the extent to which i wander into the directx realm. i plan to eventually learn it but with something as easy as blitz right here next to me i have a tendency to not move on right now.

and for things like particle engines, thats basically something you program yourself in the language and it achieves them perfectly fine. it also has network support, udp and tcp functions, i havent used them yet though.

6. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I tried you game and the only thing I noticed was there seem to be a bit of a problem with the sound? Maybe it is on my end? How long did it take you to write you game is Blitz3D?

Anyone have an estimate for how long it would take to make a simular game in Torque?

7. world_creator

Original Member

no, the engine sound i have in there is basically a proxy and the frequency changes on it causes it to crackle every now and then for some reason. although i technically started this a year ago, its mainly been an over the summer thing. i would estimate the time ive spent on this to be 3 to 6 months maybe.

8. ckob

Original Member

well I dont remember or see that I actually said that Torque was for fps games only I said it was more geared towards them. If you want to make any game other then an FPS your gonna need to edit the c++ source code heavily.

9. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Can someone confirm that this is the case? You can't make a 3rd person perspective game or a real time stategy without changing the C++ code?

10. nquijano

Original Member

This is definitely NOT the case for third person games : can be done just with scripting.
    And it will depend on what your requirements are for other games.
    I would recommend getting down and dirty with the C++ code anyway, to write your own game specific classes.
    But this is true of any general purpose engine.

11. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Not sure that is entirely correct? From what I can tell you can have a third person camera without modifying the code. However, if you don't want the camera to point in the direction of your character or object is facing you have to modify the code?

Here is a link:

http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=resource&page=view&qid=4720

If you can change the camera to an arbitrary point through scripting, this would be good to know?

12. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Or you could just have an object that is invisible placed at the point you want to look at and point the camera to that object. (Not that I'm familiar with Torque, but it seems like the worst-case solution to such a problem.)

13. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I am pretty new to the engine; but I don't think it is that simple.