Top (casual) game genres of 2009/2010?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by desmasic, Jan 3, 2010.

1. desmasic

Original Member

I am not really much into casual games but recently I have been playing a few "time management" (which I think is one of the top genre in casual scene) titles. Good stuff like Emily's Holiday Season.. right after some hardcore Quake 3 LIVE session of course :p .

So, what were the top casual genres in 2009? Also, throw in your predictions for 2010 (sure, why not?).

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Time Management is an old genre witch doesn't keep up with the new HOG/Adventure genre. HOG mixte with adventure element is definitely the top casual genre of 2009/2010.

JC

3. Maupin

Original Member

Yeah, hidden object adventure games are definitely the top genre. Nothing else comes close saleswise.

I liked Emily's Holiday Season as well, and I usually hate time management games. The last few Delicious games have really impressed me.

4. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

Anybody know how long the trends in types of casual games last?

Like, how long did the Diner Dash phase last?
    Then, the Match 3?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of cyclical life time for these products...

5. SteveZ

Indie Author

As far as trend goes, HOGs won't go away, they'll evolve, just like FPS :)

-Steve Z.

6. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

This. HOGs will be with us until the end of time.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

LOL said that way it, seems like an evil curse :D

8. desmasic

Original Member

Anyone know some hot HOG games or those adventurous versions with l'il bit of Adventure thrown in?

I found a lot.. A LOT.. of them on sites like BFG on top lists but hard to tell which is the best and which isn't just a rehash of the best. I mean, which HOG was the revolutionary one in 2009? (the ones other are copying) :confused:

9. papillon

Indie Author

If you're looking for a top-quality one to model yourself after, check out Drawn: The Painted Tower.

The only problem with it in my opinion was the overall game plot, particularly with the ending... there seems to be a trend these days to write games with plots that go absolutely nowhere so that you can promise a sequel. Multiple casual games I've played this year have left me feeling frustrated and a bit cheated at the end because there was no opportunity to savor my victory, just an obvious "Okay, now wait a few months and buy the next one!"

Enlightenus is also very nice.

10. Sue

Sue New Member

MCF: Dire Grove (BFG) is definitely one of the best, if not the best. It included a lot of video which really enhanced the storyline - genuinely scary enough to make me jump in a few places.

11. Maupin

Original Member

I thought one of the most revolutionary hidden object games in 2009 was Campfire Legends: The Hookman. All of the hidden objects were actually items you needed to complete a task, and were added to a "search for" list with a nifty animation as soon as you ran into a problem requiring their use. It did suffer (like 95% of hidden object adventure games) from repairman-itis, and the story fizzled out at the end, but I really liked its style and hidden object mechanic.

12. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

I thought Hidden Object games was a relatively new thing.

How long have they been popular? I don't really play the genre, so I have no idea...

13. Maupin

Original Member

Hidden object games started gaining popularity in late 2006. Mystery Case Files: Huntsville, one of the first, was released near the end of 2005.

14. SteveZ

Indie Author

*Hug*

-Steve Z.

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I don't like at all HOG as player, but some of them have such beautiful art that I can imagine why people are so attracted. Also I can only imagine the budget to pay all those artists! :eek:

16. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I wonder the production budget of a game like Enlightenus.

17. desmasic

Original Member

So there aren't any other casual genres that are working as well or even close to HOG? I guess you can call HOG's Adventure titles (though they don't even come close to something like Syberia by BenoƮt Sokal, despite the quality artwork) but what about RPG or arcade racing titles? The definition of genres on portals seems pretty twisted so I am just doing random screenshot browsing to find other genres.

Found Aveyond and Cute Knight in Adventure section (thought they were Adventure/RPG).

Yeah, and they could be making a lot more if not for portals like BFG pricing them like a bunch of iPhone apps (though who doesn't want to pay $3 for a $30 game :p ).

18. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

For 2010: Some sort of facebook stuff... Farmville type.

19. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

That's a good guess!

20. amaranth

Original Member

I'm not sure, but was Build-A-Lot a top seller again?

HOG/Adventures do seem to be in. A lot of the new popular games are something like HOG+Build with some adventure. Not sure what you call this type of game. For example, a lot of the popular HOG+Build games I've played have diagrams that you have to interpret to perform tasks. The new MCF, Hookman, and Treasure Seekers game have these. I loved them.