Todays Guardian newspaper (UK)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cliffski, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

In the 'IT' section, Has a front page thing featuring me in it. It's about games piracy in general, but more importantly, it's about my talking to pirates thing :D
    Plus I'll be on the radio in dublin tomorrow around 10AMish.

At some point I must find time to do some programming :D

edit: found the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/11/games.piracy

#1 cliffski, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  2. Red27

Indie Author

Kudos for that!

Pah - Forget actually making Indie Games, go Independant Media Relations.... :D

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Very good.

Now about this: "Pirates underestimate the demoralising effect it has on people who make games"

Well it's only demoralising if you let it be demoralising ;-)

4. Red Marble Games

Original Member

It's an interesting experiment -- lowering prices, making games bigger and better, pursuing ways to pay that doesn't require a credit card, and hoping higher sales will follow. But I tend to think that pirates are constitutionally incapable of making a purchase. They enjoy hacking for hacking's sake, seems to me, and sticking it to The Man (even when The Man is not EA). The thrill of getting something for nothing.

Cliff's strategy sounds promising, and may well increase overall sales -- sounds like a good idea totally independent of the pirate thing. But my guess is the pirates keep it up.

Which brings us back to what seems to be the prevailing view here, which I agree with -- adopt enough techniques to keep the most casual pirates in check, and focus on the other stuff.

Mark

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well his experiment was already successful for the amount of traffic he got. Then nobody can really imagine/hope that all pirates will instantly become good, honest people :D

6. Spore Man

Indie Author

Marketing Phase II
    ;)

7. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Cliffski is a lot like that Ann Widdicome, only slightly taller. Or that woman with the funny eggs.

:D

8. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

You are a PR genuis Cliffski!!

9. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

The cynic in me says "nice advertising cliffy" :)

Seriously though, I dont think you can necassarily read directly from what people say (even pirates) and think theyre going to tell you the truth. Frankly, I think its pretty obvious why piracy happens, because its a better value proposition than not pirating, the value comes in many forms, but people dont do something unless motivated to.

The fact is, people even pirate freeware (i.e. they treat it like it was illicit even if its not). So the motivations are many and varied.

But if it gets you press, then all the better.