To Make A Game - What Do!?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by 02Mel4, Dec 5, 2016.

1. 02Mel4

02Mel4
    Expand Collapse

Hello! I am Mel, and for the last few years I have been gathering ideas and inspiration for a game. Now, there's only one problem - I don't know enough about game development to get started. I have skills in coding (C++, Java), but that is as far as it goes. I am prepared to spend maybe a decade making this game, being that I am starting from having little knowledge on the process. I've read some things here and there already. Who could tell me some information on this, possibly from their own experience too?

2. noahbwilson

noahbwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Pick your poison and go for it. Younger kids like Unity. Older kids like me still dream in Flash/Animate. Everyone has their favorite. You need to find yours.

Also, know early on that if you plan on making lots of money, you will fail. The goal of your game development cannot be to make lots of money. You will not make lots of money. You will spend lots of money. You have to want to make games because you want to make games. Sure, we all try to make money, but the vast majority of game devs are in the red.

It's like moving to Hollywood to be a big movie star... it's just not gonna happen.

HAVE FUN!

Casszune likes this.