Time Trial Software

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Hidden Sanctum, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

I'm looking to release my game over here and noticed that many of you use Armadillo. I just looked at the trial version and it looks like all you can do for time trials of your game is set it for X amount of uses, or X amount of days.

I was really hoping to find something that would limit the trial period to 60 minutes. From what I've seen, it doesn't look like Armadillo (well, Software Passport) will do that. Unless it's something they cut out from their trial version.

Right now my money is on me being blind as a bat after staring at code for long periods of time and I'm just missing it. I just saw an add that says it does "trial by minutes" but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Is Armadillo the way to go for this or do you guys use something else?

2. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

If you are selling direct from you're own site, and can set up a shopping cart; I think that you should write your own system, and keep that extra 5%-10% in credit card processing fees. That's what we do.

I still don't understand why so many of you developers use a DRM service. (BMT, Plimus, Armadillo, Kagi, etc.) I could understand if you were a portal, but not as a developer.

Tom

3. Sybixsus

Original Member

Armadillo does do sixty minute demos, no problem. We have a few of them, all done with Armadillo.

4. TMK

TMK
    Indie Author

We've used Armadillo on most of our games, and some with the time-trial limit feature in Armadillo.

I'm not sure if you can try it in the trial version, but here's where you set it up with SoftwarePassport (using Armadillo Classic Interface):

Goto Edit Project, choose your trial/default certificate, and just edit the data in the "Certificate Expires by Minutes (Pro)" tab. The (Pro) tag means that you have to buy the Pro version of Armadillo to use it by the way.

You can also on the "Other Options" tab use the "Nuke Program After Running For (HH:MM:SS)" which basically kills the program after certain amount of time and can then display a nag screen.