TIGRS 3.0 Launches; Gorgeous New Design! Rate your games today!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by soniCron, Mar 13, 2007.

1. soniCron

soniCron
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Hello, all! I'm happy to announce the soft-launch of the new version of TIGRS: The Independent Game Rating System!

[​IMG]

After much feedback from developers, publishers, and distributors, the system has been reworked and reformed to meet your needs! The system is now entirely flexible to match exactly what you want, from age and content ratings to the style of the rating box! In addition, the new system is being launched with a brand new website designed to make creating ratings easier than ever! You can get started rating your games right away:

http://www.tigrs.org/?page=generate

From family friendly games to mature adult titles, it only takes a few minutes to make a beautiful content advisory for your game!

If there are any suggestions or rating themes you'd like to see, please post them here. The new system is still in soft-launch, so it's ready to be moulded to your needs! Also, if you have problems with the rating generator, please let me know immediately. It has been tested on major Windows browsers, but not on Mac browsers.

If you are using the old rating system, it is strongly recommended you upgrade today! It only takes a few minutes and there is no uploading necessary!

You can visit the site's homepage here: http://www.tigrs.org/

Your feedback is much appreciated! :)

2. Christian

Christian
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Hi, didnt read much yet, but a quicky critique on the graphics of "adult content" icon, have you tried to make the fangs in red, inside the mouth instead of out?, it may fit better that way. The look very profesionall, good work!.

3. Nexic

Nexic
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Your vertical/horizontal radio buttons show the wrong preview picture!

EDIT: After filling in the exact details I realised they are infact correct but looks like a bug when you just have the picture without the description.

Wish generated HTML was in a bigger box.

HTML code has some problems. The lower text table doesn't match up to the picture size properly when doing a vertical rating. The 'click here for rating' link is a relative url which obviously doesn't work on my website.

But otherwise they look really nice, will generate some for my games.

#3 Nexic, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  4. papillon

papillon
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

nice! very shiny, and the mature label amuses me. :)

5. Pyabo

Pyabo
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Excellent work, Daniel. The web site and graphics are very slick and professional looking.

6. soniCron

soniCron
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Noted as an annoyance.

For now, you can just remove the text. EDIT: Generated boxes no longer have the "Click here..." text.

I fixed this bug just minutes after you went to the site. Please refresh the page.

Thanks for your time and feedback!

#6 soniCron, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  7. Agent 4125

Agent 4125
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Very cool system and designs!

My only concern is that my game would probably fall into the Teen Content category, and I wonder if displaying that would turn off the 20-30 something crowd. And if I say it's Family Friendly, it'd probably turn off the teen crowd. :)

Maybe that's why the MPAA defines their ratings by minimum age.

8. ~LK~

~LK~
    Expand Collapse

Very nice! We will be using them.

9. mot

mot
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Great work, thanks. It looks and works great, the rating UI is nice. I have to update my website now, the old rating images disappeared..

10. Escapee

Escapee
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Hi there, I really like the design, great work !

11. ZuluBoy

ZuluBoy
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Cool !!!
    Excellent work Daniel !!!

12. Nexic

Nexic
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I think possibly you should have an option for some different types as you had previously. As someone mentioned, Teen and Family Friendly might put the wrong people off since people are weird like that. I'm definitely going to use it for my next game since I can proudly display the ultra cool adult box. That means I'll get loads of 10-16 year olds playing!

Not sure what to display for a shoot em up though. Family Friendly makes it look like a sedate happy 'let's hold hands' type game, but I don't think blowing up space ships really requires a teen rating either. For these games would be nice if there were some other options.

13. Nikster

Nikster
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Hrm, having cartoon violence set to intense and sexual violence checked produces a family friendly icon just mentioning those two attributes, surely that can't be right :) I'm not sure manga style tenticle rape squid should be considered family friendly imho.

14. Andy

Andy
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Anyone can explain to me why INDEPENDENT game developers would need such stuff at all? Graphics?

I mean you are independent so say this to your customers/visitors directly that your content belongs to some category. Or I get something wrong as always and creation of another rating system which would start charging you after it will grow enough is your task? :confused:

15. AJirenius

AJirenius
    Expand Collapse

Andy:
    As always, customers do rely on established structures and information. If you as a customer see this label on several games you start to realize that it is not only a loose/subjective label that the developer put on their package. you will probably understand that these labels are tought-through and actually are put there due to strict criterias.
    I don't find anything negative with standardization at all. I like pressing ESC to go to menu and to click X to end an app.

These kinds of stanardizations also lifts up the Independent scene to a better professional level if Indie-developers can unite in certain (minor) issues.

16. Andy

Andy
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

AJirenius: I like to have an option of pressing ESC too. Especially because we can use it in our games for free. ;)

Edit (additional): This remind to me the situation with that Paul, who was pretty often here in forums before, he was always stating that he is "the same developer as anyone else here" and we had pretty open discussions. Later he just hired a couple of managers who took the power of conversation with developers to their hands and ask me always why I sound so dissapointed with their company in my messages in forums. :) Not to say that they require to change the contracts we established with Paul before. And sure thing no one of them cares how we were helping to each other. What I'm really talking about ah?... Oh! Be careful with creation of another Paul guys... :D

#16 Andy, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  17. spellcaster

spellcaster
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I like the system as well, and I'm going to use it for my next (um.. well: first) title as well.
    Web site and design of the faces are great and professional - but I agree with Christian - having red fangs going inward in the adult version might look slightly better and it would also ensure that the three logos have more in common - right now the adult logo looks slightly different.

Blah, but no matter in which direction those fangs are pointing: Great work.

18. woo

woo
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Is comical shenanigans really relevant to a games rating? It sounds more like advertising to me ... though, "strong sexual content" sounds like advertising to me too, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count :)
    Great resource though!
    -Andrew Douglas
    http://theoreticalgames.com

19. GolfHacker

GolfHacker
    Expand Collapse

I hate to be the only one here sounding a negative note, but I have to disagree. This is very much a subjective system, and there are no strict criteria here. Someone already pointed out you can select the family-friendly icon and attach the highest levels of violence, language, etc with it.

The problem I see with this system is two-fold. First, it is designed to allow developers to rate their own games. We're a bit too biased to rate our own games properly. We know the customer group we're trying to target, and we're going to pick the rating icon that helps us reach that target. Also, everyone has different definitions of what constitutes mild violence versus non-violence, mild language versus strong language, etc. There's no way you can have any kind of consistency in meaning among everyone's independent use of these ratings. All this rating tells a customer is what the developer or publisher thinks of the game, which is worthless. As a customer looking for clean games for my kids, I want to know what some independent party thought of the game, someone who has no financial stake in how well the game sells. For any rating system to really be effective, it has to be applied independently by one person or group, who has no stake in the outcome and who can interpret and apply the ratings consistently across a wide spectrum of games.

The second problem I see with this system is that the categories are too narrow. The ESRB categories are much more generic and can be used with a much broader range of games. For example, I have a friend who is developing a strategy game that is designed specifically for hard-core strategy gamers (most of whom are adults). Ratings of "family-friendly", "teen", and "adult" are pretty much meaningless for this game. What would work better is a more generic rating like ESRB's "E for Everyone" with a minimum recommended age criteria.

I know soniCron put a lot of work into this, and I don't mean to discount his effort. But I just don't see much benefit here.

20. papillon

papillon
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

It's not the same as an outside rating, no. But for anyone who has a game that is NOT 100% kid-aimed, a nice compact way of summing up the contents of the game and what age range it's aimed at is helpful.