Thread locking

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Reactor, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't mean to be continually whining about the issue, but,

And the thing that drives me nuts are moderators who expect everything to work perfectly, like they imagine it should. It won't. Pretty much never. It's the internet, and there will always be someone who doesn't read the rules, lurk before posting, or speak the right way. Just because some forums are a little out of control doesn't mean you need to swing the pendulum a million miles out in one direction to compensate. And, that's what's going on here- everyone fearing this forum will turn into another Gamedev.net. I've heard people say that about six times now, and I'm now coming to understand that locking threads has nothing to do with people not reading the rules, or understanding exactly what noise is, but rather, a desperate "we don't know how better to deal with it" knee-jerk pre-emptive reaction to avoiding becoming just like the Gamedev.net forums.

You need to hang out on some more forums, because this simply isn't true at all. If there's a point when people say "Things are really out of control!" then you ban, lock threads, and lay down the law-- lay down the law in accordance to how bad things really are, and how many people you have to keep under control. Right now, there just aren't many people to worry about on this forum (especially compared to the Gamedev forums), and nothing at all is out of control. Being even slightly harsh about the rules is, as I've explained before, unnessesary.

Anyway, I digress. If people don't understand or even agree with my line of thinking, no more writing about it will change a thing. I'll go back and be a humble developer again ;)

2. Chaster

Original Member

Sorry Reactor, but I'll have to say that I disagree with ya here. Your comparison (the foreign person visiting with the "wrong" color hair) isn't a valid one (IMHO). Closing a thread isn't a threat. It's a prerogative.

Telling a person to "stop, or the thread will be closed" isn't a threat - it's a warning to obey the rules. A THREAT would be "stop, or we'll launch a DNS attack on your RDKF site"..

The RDKF fans were doing something OBVIOUSLY wrong, they were WARNED, and so they DID MORE OF IT. They don't need more "explanation" - they were obviously not interested in working within the rules of the forum. Where is it written that forums need to adjust to newcomers? That's stupid - newcomers need to adjust to the rules of the forum.

Furthermore, the whole idea of "letting people do as they will until nobody pays attention" doesn't work. For someone who says they have experienced the "roughest and toughest" forums out there, I'm surprised you don't know this basic fact. I mean, listen to your own description - do you want this forum to be amongst "the roughest and toughest" forums out there? I don't... Letting people who are being disruptive continue to do so without repercussion leads to degradation of the forum - which in turn leads to people who are interested in serious productive discussion LEAVING the forum...

BTW, I mean no offense by this post - I just think your position/logic on this topic is incorrect (IMO).

Chaster

#22 Chaster, Oct 20, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  3. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

I hang out on several forums, thank you, and I have to say that I think I know what I'm talking about. Part of the problem is that if you wait until it gets really bad, people like me leave, and you can NEVER return it to the way it was. It also results in a big mess as people find out that what they'd been allowed to do, they can no longer do.

If you have ever had children, you should know that you can't let them get away with anything even once that you think they shouldn't be doing. If you have a rule against it, it must be enforced immediately, and consistantly. The same thing applies here.

4. oNyx

Original Member

>And the thing that drives me nuts are moderators who expect everything to
    >work perfectly, like they imagine it should. It won't. Pretty much never.

Indeed. Therefore there are moderators :)

>"we don't know how better to deal with it"

There isn't a better way. Talking can be a complete waste of time if the user, you're dealing with is only interested in starting trouble, fight boredom and wasting your (and other's) time. Everything you can do in these cases is close/delete threads/accounts and if nothing helps - sue em.

Always remember it's not about freedom of speech or anything like that, you are merely allowed to post - it's not your right.

(Heh. We are disagreeing a lot lately, but y'know having a forum would be rather pointless if we all would agree with each other ;))

5. Reactor

Nah, that's just you and I disagreeing with each other, oNyx ;)

Mark ,I still don't believe you've been on enough forums... or perhaps, not the right forums. I hang out on completely unmoderated forums- one of them the absolute worst imaginable, that's so bad it makes Gamedev.net look like the most professional forum on the internet. I've seen what happens when lamers 100% completely take over, and what happens when moderation then rolls in.

Fair enough- things need to be halted at a certain point. I disagree with you that a forum can never be returned back to the way it was (I mean, why on earth couldn't it be?) but I do agree with you that a forum shouldn't be let alone to run ragged until all, or even some of its decent members leave. But, that's what this post is all about, isn't it? I'm talking about balance. There's a fine line between over moderating and preventing the lamers from degrading the quality of what you have. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem with strict moderation, but over the last number of weeks I've noticed people here and there getting irritated at threads being locked for the most silly reasons.

You talk about how a person such as yourself should not be forced to leave a forum when something 'bad' happens. Well, what about the people who don't feel welcomed, and feel that they would be best to leave, because of the strict moderation that supposedly is in place to keep you there? Who is that fair on? You, or them? My point wasn't about trying to persuade complete lamers by talking (oNyx), but instead, about finding a better balance of action than that which is currently taking place.

I'm sticking my head up to defend the odd guy that keeps appearing, and thinking that this is some kind of elitist community, or being offended at having his thread locked without any amount of give-and-take.

I've already mentioned this. No one has the 'right' to argue as I am, or disagree with the actions of the moderators. But, I know for a fact that there are other ways of doing things-- ways that don't have people asking, "Um, why did my thread get locked?" and I thought to chuck the issue out there.

6. princec

Indie Author

Hey chaps, it's ok to disagree about things after all isn't it! If you actually look back and read this thread you should feel proud that everyone's actually put forward eloquent and meaningful discussion on the subject instead of:
    So relax, the forum's still full of nice intelligent people and it's business as usual :)

Quick close the thread! I made an in-joke!*

Cas :)

* hehe

7. Reactor

LOL

And that was my next line, too!