Thoughts on a Logo?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ConSolo, Nov 19, 2016.

1. ConSolo

ConSolo New Member

2. Rog

Rog New Member

Aaaactually the typeface on your website just saying "CONSOLO" is much better than this imo. Its much more elegant. This logo reminds me of a kids tv show logo.

[​IMG]

3. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

You overuse the knobs idea and it doesn't fit in very elegantly. If you want us to give an in-depth critic, you should first put more work into visual research and make several versions for us to look at. Then you'd probably point out yourself what works and what doesn't and then we can help more.

4. ConSolo

ConSolo New Member

Well I had to spend an hour learning Photoshop and another hour trying to make it, so most of the other comparative versions were literally of the "drawing board" variety. This has been both a prototypical venture as well as an exploratory foray into PS6. I have zero experience in visual art, and am mainly looking to save a buck.

So time, $, and experience have been factors in the process as well. There are plenty of tweaks to come.

5. Paul Murray

Paul Murray New Member

Just stick with you business name in a nice typeface like Rog pointed out. If you're not a designer, ultimately you'll be limited by your lack of skills, severely hindering what you can produce. This in turn will reflect on you and your business. A simple text logo is better than a crappy one that lacks polish and finesse.

A logo in most cases is unnecessary. For most businesses they're a waste of money, and if you're trying to do it yourself, chances are it's a waste of time.

Also, Photoshop isn't the correct tool to use to work up a logo anyway, it's raster software. You should use vector software like Illustrator, Affinity Designer or Inkscape so you can produce something that can scale up and down without pixelating.

If you are set on producing something, stick to one solid colour and work in black and white. When you're designing, use paper. If you can't draw it quickly using a pen and paper, it's probably not going to work when it's worked up. Nail it at the sketching stage before you even think about moving onto software.

6. Topemu

Topemu New Member

its a little chaotic. I'd say ditch the gears and stick with clean fonts

7. Janus456

Janus456 New Member

It's not a bad effort at all but I agree with the others. Stick to plain font for now until your skills in PS get up to speed as I struggled to read what it said initially. I'm waayyyy worse than you at design by the way so it's not a criticism but simple can sometimes be better

8. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Wow, didnt see the link, had no idea it said Consolo on the logo. That logo in the second post looks amazing.

9. MClark27

MClark27 New Member

I think the concept is interesting but agree with others that the second logo is much easier to read and looks more professional.

10. John Hagley

John Hagley New Member

I'd have to agree with Rog - I like the typeface you're using on your website. Upon first glance, the knobs look more like gears, kinda making the whole thing look like a logo for kid's toys like megablocks or something like that.

11. ConSolo

ConSolo New Member

wow thanks to all the latest posters for all of your constructive feedback! That's why posting here has value. Lol the website font is just stock template font, I didn't bother changing it so props to Squarespace for that one.

I find myself on lots of brainstorming tangents when starting a new business. Ultimately, I've concluded that logos are more of a "brand" down-the-road thing. I'm also way more audio than visual in terms of creativity, but still, it was a fun hour-and-a-half sortie into PS6