THE Sound Effects CD everyone should have!

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by Tom Gilleland, Nov 28, 2005.

1. ErikH2000

Original Member

Yeah, my opinion is the opposite of Leper's. I would rather pay $20 for a huge number of sounds like you're selling and hunt through them myself for the gems (or really, the sounds that are valuable for me and my purposes). If you sold samples for $50, then it would be a much harder sell for me. Not that you need the anecdotal evidence, since you've been in the market for a long time.

I would actually like to get more samples in bulk like this. I think it's ideal to have a large number of sounds onhand to listen to, because you never know entirely what will be useful in advance. The techniques for making a preview version of a sound on a website would be reducing quality or duration, and either makes the preview unreliable for me to judge if I want that particular sound. So it's better to have a crapload of ready-to-use sounds on my hard drive to evaluate.
    No doubt. I'm amazed how even for just myself that on one day a sound can seem worthless to me, and then later it will be perfect for something I need. Or if I just hear it the right way, I realize I can change the pitch or something and make it cool. It's pretty hard to write off a sound as completely worthless for all space and time unless it's got noise in it or something like that.
    Interesting story. :)

-Erik

2. Hidden Sanctum

Original Member

Going back to the download size of 500M, that is becoming a bit more frequent. Look at the demos for FPS games. The demo for F.E.A.R. was over 660M! The demo for the Adventure Game Around the World in 80 Days was over 670M. These are demos, not even the full product! I think 500M is huge, but it isn't unheard of and will probably become much more frequent.

3. Robert Cummings

Original Member

I don't think I'm that worried. My connection is limited by servers I'd say most of the time as my isp reliably gives me 10mpbs cable (uncapped and unmetered) :)

4. Sysiphus

Original Member

One never has enough sounds. So my vote for 5000 sounds CDs...in the job I am also in charge of editing sounds, not being a pro or anything close to that, I edit it as I can, mix, etc...And the more base material there, easier life for this poor graphic artist I actually am...

I'm very close to purchasing this for my own personal hom projects, even...Just gotta think if I need actually more sounds for that. ;)

Good thing.

5. simonbowerbank

Original Member

Why not have a link to some examples of what is on the cd? I know I would never purchase it without hearing how good they are first.

Im sure a lot of potential customers are getting turned off by that. Also, the cd might be too large to download for some people but it isnt for others, having the option to would only ever improve your sales.

6. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

I added a link to some samples of the sounds. The samples are a set of click sounds we called "Classy Clicks" from Zillion Sounds. Everybody needs clicks! Or was that Click-throughs, I always mix that up. :)

You can get to the link from the product description page at:
    http://www.beachware.com/clip.htm

Tom

7. Sysiphus

Original Member

maybe some strongly watermrked sounds...very few of them...

8. ErikH2000

Original Member

Mini-Review: Zillion Sounds 2.0

After Tom Gilleland pimped his Zillion Sounds 2.0 CD here, I promptly added it to my Christmas wishlist, and my wife got it for me. Yay! I just got finished looking through it. Here are my thoughts:

As promised, there are 5000 sounds on the CD, and that is definitely a lot. Maybe 1 sample in 30 has got slight problems with background noise or amplitude clipping, but compared to other budget sound collections, the overall quality is very good. I didn't see much padding. Maybe the worst example was 7 monkey wave files that I'm pretty sure were generated from one sample of a monkey chirp played at different pitches, Casio SK1-style. But... 5000 samples! I'm not going to be petty about a few corners cut when there is so much here. It really is a large and useful collection of samples.

The categories seem designed for what a person would use in making computer games, although I'm sure BeachWare intended a wider audience. And the number of samples in each is well-distributed, so you aren't getting 500 samples of explosions just because it was easy for a sound engineer to throw those together. There also seems to be some care taken to go after samples that will actually be needed. For example, on the Snap! sound effects CD, I never found any samples for crowd applause even though that is useful in lots of projects. On Zillion, there are several to choose from.

If I had to cut one group of sounds from the CD to make room for more of the others, it would be the music and instrument samples. Composing music is really a different task than finding sound effects, and as a musician you would be more likely to look for specialized instrument collections than go through a sound effects CD. The music clips included on the CD, which range from 5 seconds to a minute are perhaps useful for some low-budget indie games or Flash web-based games, but I wouldn't use them for my projects, because I prefer full-length compositions. On the other hand, these music clips could be a great value for some people. In fact, if you are looking for royalty-free music and don't mind short play lengths, then this could be an unexpected gold mine for you. If the CD is going to have these music clips, it would be nice if they were higher quality, i.e. stereo 16-bit 44khz (and there is room on the CD for it, BTW). The sound quality on music is more important than sound effects, I find.

I am glad that BeachWare left all the files in uncompressed, non-propietary wave file format. This way I am not forced to use their included browser to look through sounds. The browser, by the way, is nice enough, but doesn't do much beyond what you can do with your standard file explorer using WinAmp or Media Player to play sounds. I think BeachWare should update their installer; it is looking pretty dated, with references to Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and 16-bit/32-bit install options.

All in all, this is a solid collection of sounds that I expect to use on many projects. It's well worth the money, and I really hope BeachWare releases more sound effects products in the future. My count is up to 8,000 now, but I could use more. Expanding their browser to allow tagging and indexing other sound collections than their own would be interesting too.

-Erik

9. oNyx

Original Member

Sounds pretty interesting, but CC only sucks. How about paypal as alternative?

10. stanchat

Indie Author

You can buy via PayPal. PM Tom from beachware and get his paypal email. I got this like month ago and really like the price value of this.