The real reason E3 exists...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Applewood, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

From gi.biz:

"According to figures released by the ESA, the crowds spent almost $40 million over the course of the event, and booked an estimated 30,000 hotel rooms. "

Still never been, utter waste of money. The need to spend thousands of pounds and travel thousands of mile just to meet someone face to face is way beyond me. Don't have much use for rushed out demos either.

In fact the only thing E3 does for me is fuck up a fortnight of normal business because you can't reach anyone - they're too busy preparing to be reached somewhere else.

Humbug I say. Humbug.

2. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

I thought the point was to see the booth babes?

/me runs for the hills... ^_^

3. Olofson

Original Member

Actually, judging by the Twitter noise during this year's event, E3 seems to be post-nerd macho culture at its worst. Women objectified and the concept of female gamers, journalists and developers (whoa...!) completely alien.

I'm under the impression that the industry as a whole has been moving away from this nonsense lately, but it seems like E3 is trying to compensate by taking it even further. I guess there are still plenty of (cave)men who really, REALLY don't want women to play any active part in the games industry...

4. Jim Buck

Indie Author

The true days of the booth babes at E3 are long gone. What is happening now is way severely toned down compared to, say, 10 years ago. It was complete debauchery back then (GOD Games parking lot parties, anyone?).