The Nomads DLC For Gratuitous Space Battles

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by cliffski, Sep 13, 2010.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I'm releasing a new expansion pack race for Gratuitous Space Battles today. The race are called the Nomads and they look like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

youtube vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dag-15yqUqI

The details are here:
    http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/nomads.html

Also, this is a bit of a pricing experiment. You can buy the expansion for $5.99, or if you think you deserve special treatment you can get it for $2.99 with no arguments. There are real time sales stats on the buy page:

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/registernomads.php

2. Tobias

Indie Author

Nice experiment.

I predict that at first your die-hard fans will skew the stats towards the proper price and then the masses will take it the other way. I think you will make more money than you would with one price point.

Now, what would be even more interesting is if you A/B-tested this with one version having only the higher price. I fail to see what actionable insight you will gain from this otherwise, although it's also nice from a marketing point of view.

3. Pkonst

Original Member

Really awesome experiment idea! I almost p.i.m.p. while reading your clever explanation of Discount VS Standard edition.

Great!

4. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

A few things...

I love the writeup about this. It's feels like playing a game while trying to decide which one to purchase ;)

I am left wondering though... do Steam people need to wait for a Steam version of the expansion?

Aside from one area that looks a little funky I love the artwork that adorns the top of the GSB page. The title is much better than your original one, and I'd love to see that design make it into the game.

5. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

When the campaign expansion gets installed it will change the title and splash screen to something way better :D

6. Reactor

Nice! That makes me want to purchase, then :)

And the Steam compatibility for this one? Or, do I need to wait for it on Steam? (having the rest of the game on there)

7. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

You could read by yourself:

I bought the game from X, do I need to get the expansion pack from that site too?

No. It won't make any difference.​

8. lennard

That monochromatic red screenshot is pretty sweet. Nice job Cliff.

9. richtaur

Indie Author

Looks really slick, nicely done! I hope you'll be blogging about your numbers and lessons learned, I'd read the hell out of that stuff.

10. Reactor

Thanks Roman. Somehow I missed that :p

11. UnknownGuy

Original Member

I gotta say the graphics at the top of the page are beautiful, so very nice(I would almost suggest making the buy now button bigger or stand out more but w/e).

And the experiment sounds cool too, especially with the real-time data. :D

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

So far "rich" people are ahead of "poor" people :D
    (or simply those who want to pay more vs those who want to pay less)
    If it was a casual game I'm pretty sure the percentages would have been reversed!

13. Dan MacDonald

Weird, it's almost like the player that play cliffs games want to support him. Maybe that's why cliff is still around and thriving while casual downloadable games have one foot in the grave....

Oh man, this is such flame bait... I should moderate myself. :eek:

14. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

No, Dan, you hit the nail on the head. So many people think it takes a big company and a ton of money to make games so they think nothing of pirating them, figuring the company that made the game is probably some huge soulless corporation with billions of dollars (heh, I wish... where's that contract with the devil I got the other day, I'm ready to sign). That's the biggest problem with portal games. It took less than 2 hours for our latest title to hit the pirate sites, despite the anti piracy measures taken by the portal. While I don't think it hurt our sales too much (how do you hurt something that isn't there to begin with, lol) it still kinda sucked to do a google search of our game's name and find more sites offering our game for free than legitimate ones trying to help us make a sale. We've got one more portal game in the pipeline that we've committed to, and after that I think we're done with portals, unless they want to pay us upfront for the game and then get whatever they can for it on their own. It's just not worth all the hassle to make a game that just ends up on a pirate site within hours of release.

By contrast, Cliff's players know that Positech is basically Cliff and his computer. It makes them want to pay for his products that much more because they know the money's going to go to more great games instead of more corporate bureaucracy and remakes of the same game over and over again. There's a lesson to be learned there, and that's the kind of business we should be striving to achieve - a business built on repeat customers who enjoy our games so much they'd rather pay for a legitimate copy than download a pirated one for free.

Downloadables aren't dying just yet, but as indies we need to make sure people know that when you steal from us you're stealing from the little guy, and his wife and kids. That's what Cliff's successfully done, and it's paying off in a big way.

15. HairyTroll

Original Member

I bought at the regular price; because Cliff really wants those solar panels for his house.

16. RiVEN

Original Member

Real time stats.... excellent idea! Thanks for sharing!