The most stupid things (which should be avoided)

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by ZeHa, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

That qualifies as another unacceptable stupidity - opening Internet Explorer without permission (especially when Firefox is installed). Internet Explorer is one giant security hole, and a program that opens it without permission technically qualifies as a Trojan in my book.

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

If so, your book contains a technical mistake. Trojans are not that :p.

Although i agree about opening the wrong browser. I dislike IE and i prefer Firefox (which, btw, isn't really that safer than IE - i prefer it for it's usability, not safety...), so i dislike it when programs open IE.

3. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

It's to let you do some fast disk-changing or whatever else might be needed.

What pisses me off about windows installation is the required babysitting. Why can't it ask the neccessary questions at the beginning (like linux) or at the end (like mac os x), instead of smack in the middle?

When talking about acrobat reader, what the heck does a user-space program update need a system reboot for? And why can't it install all the updates at once, instead of having to reboot after every single one?

And yeah, foxit at home. Acrobat at work, though.

4. ZeHa

Original Member

Well the "in 15 seconds" dialog also has the advantage that if you sit in front of your computer while installing, you know why he's restarting - so you don't think "WTF? Why is he rebooting now?? Help help help". But if you're NOT in front of your computer, the installing process won't block.

I also often thought this is stupid, but when I thought about it and came to the above conclusion, it pretty much made sense to me ;)

One thing that I would like to see in future Windows installs would be the possibility of having two or three default profiles. Let's say, a "pro" and a "noob" preset (of course their names shouldn't be like that :D ), with the "pro" profile having all those "unused icons on your desktop"-and-the-like features disabled. I hate those and it's sooo annoying having to disable all this stuff. So if they want to have it for the noobs, at least there should be the possibility to tell Windows if you're a noob or not. Most setups have those modes for the installation (advanced users vs. standard installation), there really should be something similar for Windows. And one additional thing I would like would be to have the question if all the useless eye candy should be disabled by default, that would be perfect.

5. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Another one.....

LETS START USING WINDOWS! \o/

....proudly exclaims WindowsXP with SP2 after an hour of flattening and reinstalling two nights ago on my test PC.

What it should ACTUALLY say is "Let's start using Windows, but don't do anything you don't mind losing because I'm now going to download a new version of Windows Installer, oh, and then you'll need to reboot"

...following the aforementioned reboot....

"Weeee there's 89 updates! Your system will be usable in 1hr 15 minutes" Oh great.

....Some time later and after another reboot....

"Weeee there's 2 updates!" Why didn't you just bloody install them before then?!

...another reboot....

After that, Windows got locked in a cycle of telling me there was another update, trying to download and install it, failing, repeat ad infinitum. Microsoft .NET 1.1 SP1 I think it was. Had to tell it to stop bloody checking if it couldn't install it since it was asking me every ten seconds.

WINDOWS = TEH STUPID0RZ!

6. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

My Firefox installation is fairly secure because I set it up that way. I never bothered to secure IE because I never use it. The last time I started IE, I ended up having to wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows the next day in order to dislodge some particularly nasty malware.

In my book, any program that start a process on my computer that can be used by an attacker to gain control over my computer qualifies as a Trojan. A program that starts IE and points it at an external website meets those requirements. (What happens if the website is hacked? Or the domain name expired and a malicious hacker bought it? Or if my DNS is spoofed?)

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

Still, your book is flawed. Consider getting a new one, because by this definition even Quake 2 is a trojan :p.

8. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

There's a difference between a program having unintentional vulnerabilities and intentionally opening another program with known vulnerabilities, although I wouldn't want to have either one on my computer. There's also a difference between opening a network connection - and hence a vulnerability - when I intentionally try to host/join a networked game, and opening a network connection without my permission.

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

Meh, i won't continue this. The world is for sure filled with people seeing witches everywhere :p.