The Independent Gaming Source

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by flamingpear, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikH2000

Original Member

I guess the overriding point I'd like to make is that it doesn't matter so much what you would like to see happen in terms of people spreading statements to other places. It matters what will happen. If you participate on a public forum, you need to reconcile yourself to making public statements, and not treat them as "semi-private". Others won't make that distinction, unfortunately.

-Erik

2. Ricardo C

Original Member

If there is a chance to influence any would-be gossip columnists lurking around here, then I will take it. Like, you know, now.

"Let it go, it will happen anyway" is not my m.o.

3. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Flaming Pear, I say go with your bad self.

You should definitely feel free to create your own identity in whatever shape you choose. I say do whatever feels best to you. That being said, I do have a couple of recommendations that will tend to maximize your reader retention and developer support: (many of these are rehashes of previous comments.)

Specifically, I recommend:
    -Discover (and document) a list of practices that will not generally alienate or cause detriment to game developers. (Don't embed images from their servers. Don't link to alpha builds that weren't clearly meant to be public, etc.)
    -Define your identity to yourself and your audience. Decide if you are news, opionion, both, etc., and stick with it in a consistant fashion.
    -Try to identify exactly what types of content you have on your site. (Links to other sites' news. Press releases. Rumor. Betas. Reviews. Rants. Etc.) Use a system of identifying and/or organizing your information for your readers. Blue's News is a pretty good example of a site that identifies the 'type' of content for each item. For your site, where you'll generally have less content, perhaps create icons that you put next to the headlines declaring the type of content each item is?

Anyway, hope that helps.

-Hiro_Antagonist

4. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Oh, one more piece of feedback.

Doing a quick statistical survey of the mini-reviews and/or your reactions to games on your main page right now, you seem pretty overwhelmingly negative to them. In fact, some of the most positive text I could find were along the lines of "not-so-bad" and "promising".

It just strikes me as odd to build a site covering indie games, and then give them all a hard time because they don't all have top-notch production values or completely original designs. It seems especially odd that there's plenty of bashing for games you say you haven't even played. Don't they deserve a little more respect for their efforts than to be bashed by someone who hasn't even played it?

My advice would be to try to be supportive (while still being honest) and judge games based on what they are, rather than what they could have been with an entirely different game design and/or a $100k budget.

Sustained negativity will tend to turn people away (readers as well as developers), while being a bit more fair and supportive will tend to bring people back. I say opinion good, snarky low-level indie-bashing bad. Nobody will come back to see you pick on the small guy. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist

5. flamingpear

Original Member

Certainly not what I'm trying to do :eek: . Good to know that's what's coming across.

It seems to me that things are more even-handed than that though:

Mostly negative:
    Deep Wars: Soul of the Machine
    Arydox
    Tin Soldiers: Alex the Great (just noting the 3.5 star review, and the huge price)
    Testing MonsterTech Arena (just noting that the graphics don't look great, which the developer admits)
    Crusaders of Space (noting the 2.5 star review)
    Mr. Marrow and the Temple of Egg

Mostly positive:
    Xeno Assault II
    Add 'em up (slightly)
    World of Pirates (slightly)
    Puppytron 1 and 2
    Zap
    Bombstrike
    On the Oche
    Flipfull Advantage

So that's 6 to 6, if you ignore the only slightly positive takes. And then there's a number of neutral items.

Still good to know that it's coming across as all negative. Maybe it's my tone.

6. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Reading your Xeno Assault '"review", my first thought was "How in the world is this a Space Invaders clone?" Sure - they might be in the same genre, but XAII is not a clone of space invaders. Not even close.

7. BarrySlisk

Original Member

The truth needs to be told, just be polite about it.

But I like the idea of a indie site who is not afraid to say that a game SUUUCKS (in a nice way of course).

8. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Side note: Deep Wars: Soul of the Machine is actually a pretty fun game.

9. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Look what I started. :)

Seriously though, I'd just prefer that our forum not be cherry picked for alpha/betas and questionable news (Like Gabriel going fulltime). It doesn't really help players and it hurts this developer community. More developers with completed games will retreat to the private forums, which will hurt the newer Indies. And the Indes with completed games won't be able to get feedback from the newer guys for alpha/betas. This will just make it harder for developers here to get useful feedback and fix bugs and gameplay issues. In the end, it will wind up hurting the players.

Again, you can choose to do whatever you want. More power to you. Just keep in mind, the words you choose and the manner which you collect your news will determine the level of support you get from the dev community and the level of respect you get from readers.

10. EpicBoy

Original Member

www.gametunnel.com

11. flamingpear

Original Member

I do not want to ruin the idea behind this site, or developers' experience here. I would be happy to refrain from linking to alpha or beta builds that aren't meant to be public. But just remember that if you would like people to be interested in your alpha or beta, drop me a note and I will be happy to post about it.

12. Armsfeld

Original Member

Criticism is part of life. Kinda wimpy to hold a grudge because someone criticized you. This is game development, not some beauty salon.

It may be diplomatically smart to keep on good terms with the developers, but your readers sure as hell won't care.

Pear, it looks like your site software is just a flat blog. If you can, get something more flexible so you can separate news and reviews and create tailored info pages by games, genres, or developers, putting all the reviews and news in one place. You'd need a custom solution, but there's lots of good platforms to start from.

13. Ricardo C

Original Member

I expect professionalism from a site propping itself up as an indie news site. That's all.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.