The Independent Gaming Source

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by flamingpear, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Looks interesting, though the amount of time spent to keep that up is going to be really a challenge. Can I make a request that you don't use the images directly from my server in the stories?

2. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Actually that goes for me at Bytten too. I don't want to host images for another site...

Mark

3. flamingpear

Original Member

Done and done.
    :) :) :)
    Good idea.
    I'm all for common decency, but I do feel that my readers are my primary concern.

4. C_Coder

Original Member

Nice site. I loved it when I saw the alpha version of Titan Assualt listed in the news! :D
    I will definately make a link to it from my site. You should make a standard graphic for others sites to use to link to your site.
    Keep up the good work! (And I mean a lot of work to keep the site up to date with all the other sites! :) )

5. flamingpear

Original Member

I've got some link buttons up at www.tigsoruce.com/buttons.htm, for anyone who's interest in linking ;) (And some of you are probably getting my emails :p ).

6. princec

Indie Author

I absolutely hate this. I have a back button. I'll open it in a new window if I want to if you don't mind, not if you want me to.

And I'm all for you digging up the dirt and rooting alphas out in public :) Makes for a fun time! This is what journalism is all about!! Hehe.

Cas :)

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Hmm... no offense, but given what I gather from those buttons, it seems we have an indie tabloid on our hands. :D. Not that theirs anything wrong with that, as there's certainly enough desire around here for more exposue, but when I start seeing taglines like "the whole story", "the whole truth", you can't blame me for being a bit concerned. I just hope there's some respect for the authors that ask *not* to share links (not to mention we'll have to ask now). The plus, I like the format of the site, and the reasonably constant update shedule. It's almost like an indiegamer+diy+gametunnel digest, which is cool, so I'll play ball.

8. flamingpear

Original Member

More of an advertising decision than anything else... I'm just trying to figure out how to get people to click (obviously without deceiving them about the site's content)... I don't see the site as a tabloid, exactly :( , but I think I might be able to draw people in on some kind of basis like that? The basic idea is that the site contains ALL the indie news--something not found anywhere else. I don't know... opinions?

9. C_Coder

Original Member

I agree absolutely! :D
    Once its on this forum it can be googled so why not put it in public anyway? Also some more feedback is also welcome!
    We indies want more visitors no? ;)

10. Gmicek

Original Member

I think it's a good idea, I'm a big fan of the news gathering sites like GameTab, but do have a concern. I'm wondering if there's enough interesting news out there to warrant not so much another indie site, but an indie site who's primary function appears to be syndicating news from other sites. Sites like GameTab work well because there are hundreds of sources people can get gaming news from, so it's good to have it all in one place. As it stands now there's really only 4 indie game news sources (five is you count Indie Gamer I suppose).

Anyway, best of luck with the site, I look forward to checking it out on a regular basis.

11. Teeth

Original Member

How about different little icons for posts about alphas, betas, demos and releases? You could use Greek letters.

12. flamingpear

Original Member

Absolutely.
    Probably a good idea to incorporate at some point...
    Here's the deal for now: if you specifically say in a post, at the top, clearly, that you do not want the thread discussed in public (even better, mention that tigsource should stay away), then I will let it be. Otherwise, it's fair game. Fair enough?

13. C_Coder

Original Member

Fair enough for me! :)

14. Ricardo C

Original Member

A web journalist with ethics? Are you sure you're in the right field?
    :D

15. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'd suggest getting news from 3 sources : 1) Other news sites ("IndieGamer reviewed..."); 2) News from developer sites themselves; 3) Submitted stories.

I know what's said in this forum is public, but it's also true that it's not intended for the general public. For example, I just found out the news about me going fulltime. I said it here because it's news for other developers, but is it worthwhile for players? Moreover, is it good? I mean, in this particular case, do we want to give the impression that we are all a bunch of amateurs that we're just now leaving our jobs? We indies know what it's like - but do the players? In this case, I didn't make much noise about going fulltime, for many reasons. I only commented it here and among my closest friends.

While "public sources are public" is OK, I think the editor should take this kind of thing in consideration.

Other than that, I think a centralized site gathering news from all over the place could be an invaluable resource, so keep it up!

16. flamingpear

Original Member

A good thought.

17. Andy

Original Member

See guys? - Gabriel have approved my supposition. He doesn't like that news about him in the open source.
    And his opinion is most important for me than many others. Why? - Because he has something to loose and he cares about that. This is a way too easy to don't care and have a fun if you have nothing behind.

The next question I ask - do we really want Gabriel or somebody else to not write useful info and fair opinions in this forums?

So, yes, I just ask for ethics... :)

18. Hamumu

Indie Author

I agree... this is a "private" public forum. It's like talking to your friends at the mall. Lots of people can walk by and overhear, and you'd whisper (PM) if it was truly private, but if a news reporter held a microphone right next to you, you'd move away or shut up (or wave your arms around and shout out mad props to your homies). I think eroding that (false) sense of privacy will lower the amount of information we get on these forums. It's different to know people can find the words you've written, and for those words to be directly pushed at people.

I'll tell you this: knowing that these forums are being posted up on a news site, I won't be posting sales figures again!

I have another issue with the TIG site... the content that it has is fine, and perfectly worthwhile, and useful to the visitor. But it's not news. It's extremely opinionated opinion. Either be a news aggregator as advertised, or admit to being an opinion site/blog. Seems like you need to pick one side or the other. You can't claim to be "the one news source" when you insert your (very very strong) opinions into the news items.

19. Ricardo C

Original Member

After spending a bit more time reading the site, I'd like to recant my previous post of approval and good wishes, maienly because of "articles" such as this:

The headline implies sales for the game are poor, an assumption none of us except the game's creators can confirm or deny, while the article itself is just an opinion on the game, which essentially gets treashed for not being what the reviewer wanted it to be.

You're not running a site, you're running a glorified blog.

20. Air

Air
    Original Member

Nicely stated. Now tell that to FOX News and ABC. :)

Regarding the Deep Wars review...
    I think it's interesting that there has been a lot of talk about introducing a consumer-oriented indie gamer site with real, honest, non-partisan reviews... and when one crops up some people cry foul. I see little wrong with anything on the site, except that yes it is an opinion site that uses the phrase "all news." (oops! but common in the USA as noted above) As for the bitter opinions of games, so be it. If you don't want bitter opinions, make better games. Don't attack the guy with the opinion. And sometimes good games get bad opinions. That's life. But you know, even bad publicity is better than none. I was quite tempted to download and try that game just to see what was so bad/bland about it (and would have if I wasn't using an archaic device more closely related to an abacus than a modern PC) ... and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that subtle, definant, "underdogish" mentality.

So yeah. It's a nice site, content-wise. It's refreshing to see whole-hearted opinions of pure gamers instead of the delicate, intentionally-constructive gamedev'er style reviews I usually play witness to. Never been a fan of pure black backgrounds though.

#40 Air, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.