The Independent Gaming Source

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by flamingpear, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamingpear

Original Member

http://www.tigsource.com

edit: There's just not too much to explain, that I can think of... the site is indeed an indie-centric site, and one that I think is unique from anything currently available. It's not just a review site, and not quite comparable to gametunnel, diygames, or bytten. Rather, it's a site that is designed to bring indie gamers ALL the indie gaming news, in a concise and up-to-date manner.

#1 flamingpear, Jan 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  2. Ricardo C

Original Member

Did you have no time to even explain what one might find on the site you're promoting? I'm all for more indie-centric sites, but sheesh...

3. flamingpear

Original Member

I'm sorry :( ... I just kind of thought people could go see for themselves, but I'm happy to explain anything you'd like :).

There's just not too much to explain, that I can think of... the site is indeed an indie-centric site, and one that I think is unique from anything currently available. It's not just a review site, and not quite comparable to gametunnel, diygames, or bytten. Rather, it's a site that is designed to bring indie gamers ALL the indie gaming news, in a concise and up-to-date manner.

4. princec

Indie Author

You have to sell stuff to us time-misers :)

Good site, pro layout. White-on-black especially welcome to my poor tired eyes. Sadly missing 5 star reviews of Alien Flux and Super Dudester ;) Haven't time to investigate the content fully right now.

Cas :)

5. Ricardo C

Original Member

The site looks great, I like the concept a lot :) Seems like a great addition to the community. Best of luck! :)

6. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

indeed, looks good. Im all for sites like this. I find myself checking diygames most days.

7. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Looks good - keep up the great work.

8. Phil Newton

Original Member

Looks very good, and has a nice community feel to it.

9. Armsfeld

Original Member

Nice.

You should link to all the other indie sites, or even better, tell when other indie sites have something new. Then we would only need to check your site.

10. flamingpear

Original Member

Well, that's pretty much what I'm planning to do: report all the news from the "standard" indie scene sites (DIYGames, Game Tunnel, Bytten, etc.), and all the news from everwhere else, including individual developer news. So basically, there's your one-stop indie game news site. (Of course, its not a developer site, per say: everything is aimed at the indie gamer. But hopefully that kind of news should be of interest to indie developers to).

Yes, I plan on working very hard ;) .

11. whisperstorm

Original Member

Interesting. Has a very much of a Movable Type vibe about it. Will you consider taking story submissions as well? Might help increase the breath of coverage.

12. Chris Evans

Looks good!

However, I noticed you posted an article about the Democracy Alpha build Cliffski has here. It seems like he's okay with it, but you might want to be careful in the future about announcing early alpha/beta builds we post on a dev forum. Especially if the developer doesn't formally announce it on their own site.

Yes, technically this is a public forum, but sometimes we just want developer feedback before we show it to potential customers. So you might want to give the developer a heads up before posting articles about Alpha/Beta on your news site. Especially if your site gets popular, which hopefully it will. :)

13. flamingpear

Original Member

Absolutely. If you've got anything on indie gaming send it right over to flamingpear@tigsource.com. I'm definitely hoping to get submissions, which will, as you say, help keep the coverage deep and wide.

Very true. My bad on that one.

Here's hoping :) .

14. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Well - I have to say that if you post anything in public, like this forum is, you have to be ready for other people to find out about it.

15. Chris Evans

Well obviously and I said this was a public forum. He's certainly within his right. I'm just saying out of common courtesy it might be a good idea to drop the developer a note before telling his site readers to download alpha/beta builds.

I don't think anyone is expecting to keep something secret if they post it on the forum here. But there's a difference between posting a feedback topic for a WIP game on a fairly small developer's forum and having it announced on DIY/GT/TIG or some other news site.

16. Andy

Original Member

I'm with Chris on issue.

Public - yes. But mostly devoted to limitted group of game developers. Sure, nothing goes against the rules. But some specific times would be much better just to ask for permission.

REM: I even got an example. That's up to Jack Norton of course but I'd be obviously dissapointed a little bit if somebody would quote my explanation why I made next game: "Everyone is releasing shoot'em up, why can't I ?!" Sure we become a little bit cinic and jokey on our own job sometimes. But that's mostly when we talk to equal guys around doing the same things.
    The same on Mystery full time - is it so interesting for outsiders of developing community? And would Gabriel say it by the same words in the official press release? :)

Good luck with the site. I wasn't able to find anything new in there so far but if I assume correctly this is WIP as well. :)

#16 Andy, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  17. Diodor Bitan

Indie Author

I'm for the freedom of speech here :p The media should always focus primarily on serving it's readers. Go, paparazzi, go! :D

18. cliffski

yeah i was a bit freaked to see my screenshots on there, but as it happens I'm totally fine with it.
    The only problem you will have is getting people to visit your site. And by that I mean NEW people who are yet to try an indie game.

19. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

Well I don't mind helping to prompt the site a little on Adwords for a few weeks once its up and running, after all, any site that is aimed at indie gamers will only eventually benefit us developers. I think the site needs a few news posters, but other than that its looking good.

It might be a little helpful if you have all external site links open in a new window, otherwise the instance they click on the news feed for say the bytten diamond hunter review you have effectively lost them.

I'm guessing that as you have posted a RSS feed that you are happy enough with developers adding your news to their sites? (Obviously with a link back to your own somewhere...?)

20. Andy

Original Member

To have a freedom of speech HERE we should have this place safe enough from outside eyes Diodor. :D

I could easily imagine how I introduce our game to my friends developers from here as "one more shitty arkanoid clone". But they would obviously get that I'm kidding and I don't really mean so. Because they can easily imagine what efforts requires every game to develope it. No? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.