The Great Games Experiment

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by soniCron, Nov 23, 2006.

1. TimS

Original Member

I don't suppose there are any plans to change the name of the site? "GGE" doesn't seem like something that is widely accepted, which makes sense now, but if all goes well it won't make much sense down the road...

There's a good many issues I've got with the site at the moment, but since it's pretty early on yet perhaps the GG team is already working on 'em. I'll send an email or a PM perhaps just in case.

I'll be watching this one... could get interesting pretty quick, methinks.

-Tim

[edit] -- btw, I've just signed up and so I've got two invites to give. PM me with an email address on here if you still need one.

2. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

The site's pretty cool, just the Friend Whoresâ„¢ are getting a bit annoying with they're pointless requesting. Like seriously, what good is a social network where everyone is your friend?

3. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

yeah I was debating about whether or not to remove a couple that turned out to be just friend farming...but I'm easy with my friendship :D ...until you cross me, then you are on the list..forever! :eek:

4. Gary Preston

Original Member

5. papillon

Indie Author

*shrug* I've always been a little resentful of the whole secret friendship-based invite system thing with websites. Back when Livejournal was invite-or-pay-only, I paid for my account. Maybe it's leftover resentment from being an outcast geek in high school, but even though I did know people with accounts, I refused to wander around begging "_Please_ let me into your club...."

I understand it at an early stage when someone's trying to restrict growth, I suppose.

6. jankoM

Indie Author

hm... 'great' name btw... I saw two posts about it and both time understood it wrong... I thougth "this must really be some strangelly great experiment by garage games if two people said so in the title".

next game I make will be named "that really great game for kids" ...
    "hey, have you seen that really great game for kids?"
    "wow, I just bought that really great game for kids?"
    "my doughter betty hates that really great game for kids"

7. ~LK~

~LK~ New Member

i applied two days ago, and as well got the.. "we are currently processing your..". I havent heard anything since then though. :(
    ________
    Honda RC165

#27 ~LK~, Nov 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Nice to see GG taking the lead. (see sig)

9. Tr00jg

Original Member

This looks interesting! Cant really tell where it will go, but it looks set to be awesome.

10. sillytuna

Indie Author

I've put an email their way but nowt so far... Looks interesting.

11. electronicStar

Original Member

The button to request an invite says:
    "Please enter your email to request an invite to the beta as well as sign up for the GGE Newsletter."

So not only are we not receiving the invite, but we'll probably be spammed with the "newsletter".
    If I was paranoid I'd think that collecting email could be one of the main raison-d'etre of this button:eek:

12. papillon

Indie Author

(Which is why I didn't use my primary email address, which might be why I'm not receiving access. :) )

13. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If you posted once on the GG forums in the past year and you signed up for GGE with the same email account that you used on the GG forums then you are automatically approved.

It seems they intended the beta to primarily include GG community members and 2 of their friends.

14. papillon

Indie Author

Ah! That makes sense then.

15. Gary Preston

Original Member

Its only invite based at this time afaik because it's in beta. Makes sense not to open it to the whole world if you're trying to route out any problems. Once the masses sign up it could make fixing problems all that much harder.

16. Coyote

Indie Author

Yeah, it's pretty slick right now, but still not quite ready for prime time. For example, when I get a friend request, the link that gets emailed to me to accept them doesn't work. The RSS feed module is also a little erratic. Nothing crippling, but still kind of rough around the edges.

I also think they are trying hard to get community *established* by seeding it with their own community members first. As a community grows, the culture is often governed by the older members instilling it in the newer members. So I can see them not wanting to open up the floodgates quite until that gets truly established.

17. ~LK~

~LK~ New Member

I switched emails I was registering with to one of my other ones, and it accepted me on the spot (same one I used on the other GG site).

The concept in my opinion is pretty nice. The potential once more people, both gamers and dev's get situated in it could be huge. A one stop shop and who's who is perfect for bringing the various factions of the communities together. Looking forward to its development.

Nice work!

~LK~
    ________
    VTR250

#37 ~LK~, Nov 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  18. Phil Newton

Original Member

Having wrestled with MySpace and its hideous layout, I was very happy to see that GGE was a lot more powerful and easy to use. First impressions count, and GGE is really slick. It's also good to read Jeff's comments on where the site is headed, and it certainly seems to be going in the right direction.

19. Allen Varney

Original Member

Nice-looking pages and a good selection of modules. Does anyone know, are they using Drupal as their Content Management System?

20. Phil Newton

Original Member

From what I gather, it's a custom built solution.

On a side-note, the support is top notch. I submitted a bug report and had a reply within 10 minutes. Nice work!