The Great Games Experiment

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by soniCron, Nov 23, 2006.

1. soniCron

Indie Author

A neat alternative for MySpace for gamers and game developers:

http://www.greatgamesexperiment.com/

It's in beta invite-only mode right now, but you can submit your email for approval. Neat stuff! :)

2. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Hmm... can you share some more information. What's the "catch" so to speak?

3. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

None that I've found so far, it's exceeded my expectations. Pretty cool little site.

4. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

Yeah they definitely did some spit shine before they released it

5. soniCron

Indie Author

6. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

All the cool kids are doin' it. I did it, so we're all accounted for. :D

7. Musenik

Original Member

Looks like it's being run by Garage Games. Hmm, will have to sign up.

8. KNau

Original Member

Looks like they might be blocking free e-mail addresses from signing up. I tried to get an invite with my hotmail account but never received a reply. Same thing happened with Kongregate.

9. soniCron

Indie Author

Send me your email address and I'll send you an invite.

10. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

I've got an invite left too if anyone needs one email me.

edit: (the very next day, I gave it away)

#10 C.S.Brewer, Nov 23, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  11. ~LK~

~LK~ New Member

i used hotmail as well, and found that hotmail placed the response from them in the junk mail.. so might wanna check there.

~LK~
    ________
    extreme q vaporizer

#11 ~LK~, Nov 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  12. Addictive 247

Indie Author

I signed up yesterday but haven't heard anything yet :(

13. Batley

Original Member

Imo this is what Indie gamer forums should be.

14. whisperstorm

Original Member

I have two invites if anyone wants in - feel free to PM.

15. Shaz

so I submitted my email the day this announcement was made and I got a "don't call us, we'll call you" and nothing since (well, it was really a "we're currently processing... once your request has been granted we'll be in touch"). what gives?

16. soniCron

Indie Author

Check your Junk folder or Spam blocker?

17. papillon

Indie Author

I think folks like you and me simply don't look cool enough, Shaz. :)

#17 papillon, Nov 26, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  18. jefftunn

Original Member

GarageGames Has Big Plans For GGE

Thanks for the nice replies on this site so far. I was afraid that a lot of people would just dismiss it as MySpace for games. As a little point of history, if you look at the GarageGames site itself, most of the functionality of MySpace was included when we first built the site in 2001, so I have been a proponent of user generated content for a long time.

I will be writing a blog (.plan) on the GarageGames site that will give you all a little more insight as to why we are creating this site. The bottom line is that if we don't do it, then MTV or NewsCorp or some other huge corporation will do it and own the space. It seems that many IndieGamer participants feel GG is the enemy or a big company sometimes, but we really are advocating for the little guy. We have democratized cheap development technology, set new examples for non-evil publishing contracts, and continue to push the bar to help Indies.

As a preview of my upcoming explanation, I can tell you that we eventually see GGE as a frictionless publishing platform where anybody can sign up to sell their game with no gatekeepers other than the users, i.e. if your game sucks, it won't sell. However, right now, even if your game is good, there is no great way to bring it to market. If it isn't a flashy bubble popper, you can't get in to the portals, and you can't find an audience.

If we all band together with something like GGE, we can bring the players and buyers to our site. Even crappy little Flash aggregation sites regularly get Alexa ratings around 1,200, which is a huge amount of traffic compared to any individual site. Why don't we use GGE to make a non-crappy Flash game aggregation site? We have provided some powerful tools, and many, many more are on the way. Why not put up every free DOS and abandoned game in existence? They are free, we will host them, you guys put them up, and we promote them.

It will be a while for the ecommerce part to go up ( you can imagine the problems with paying royalties to literally thousands of developers). I can assure you we will have a non-evil publishing contract, pay great royalties, etc. We already have a non-evil publishing contract, so we already walk the talk.

I would ask one thing. Please don't blog about this site yet. Since we are in Beta (more like late Alpha), I don't think we are ready for the big blogs, Digg, or the mainstream media. We need more momentum in the amount of games, developers, groups, contacts, etc. We also have a feature list as long as my arm that will be getting in over the next couple of weeks. Games and developers are being added at a fast enough pace that we may have infrastructure problems that we would like to work out before going wide.

Again, I appreciate the great feedback. I have been working on this project for over a year (designing, recruiting, etc.), and GG has invested a huge amount of web developer effort over that last eight months working on this project.

For the near future, please fill out your developer profiles as well as you can. Players want to know who is behind the scenes of these games. The closer your relationship with the players, the better. Notice the In Development category that allows you to talk about your game, recruit Beta testers, get feedback on prototypes, etc.

While you are filling out your Developer Profile, feel free to put up profiles for you favorite games. The ore games and content we have, the more players will stick to the site when they get there.

Why would GG do this? Well, we think there is a need for a huge gaming community that is easily accessible to anybody. We are confident that our games can compete, and we need a huge audience to sell them. We figure that eventually selling ads on the site should cover the bandwidth, and our own game sales will monetize it for us. Plus, we just think it is damn cool.

I look forward you all helping us help you.

-Jeff Tunnell, GarageGames
    www.makeitbigingames.com My game development blog.

19. soniCron

Indie Author

You guys are really taking this in an exciting direction, and I applaud your initiative! It's thrilling to see so many different players trying to tackle the largely ignored downloadable hardcore gaming market, and it's especially exciting to see an industry leader pioneering the way!

Garage Games has made a leap and a stride over the last year to cement itself as a force to be reckoned with in indie gaming and has really proven itself a competent player in the field. I can't speak for other Indiegamer posters, but my opinion of Garage Games has certainly skyrocketted since our clash last year! ;)

Congrats, and thanks for such a cool service! :)

20. Shaz

Turned off any spam filters on my ISP side, and I don't run anything else. Requested a password reset, and nothing's come through (and it's been 10 minutes and 5 seconds - not that I'm counting). So I guess....
    that's what it looks like. :sigh: that's the story of my life! :rolleyes: