The Great 2D Engine Stress Test Shootout

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Martoon, Feb 9, 2005.

1. dima

Original Member

This is probably the best thing to do if 3D acceleration is desired. I think alot of 3D engines to this. But writing your own I wouldn't think is that simple, unless you use SDL or somethng for everythng else like sound, input, network.

I wonder if torque 2d will use DX on windows for rendering, or GL for everything.

2. dima

Original Member

I think Reflexive would benefit very much from their games being across different platforms. That would require writing some new code, might as well take the extra step and make it reusable and sell it to others. I don't think it's such a bad idea. :)

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

4. dima

Original Member

How is Allegro? Its kinda old, but does seem to have wide platform support. Not that anything other than Windows and Mac really matters, maybe Linux. Interesting that its able to rotate and blend stuff, wonder if its fast and good. What about sub-pixels and such? going to take a look, but I remember hearing somewhere that Allegro has some issues...

5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Faster than SDL, Free'er than SDL (seriously), and fully featured. There is a lot of legacy features in it, but some are potentially quite useful, like the old 3D stuff is all software rendering, so combined with GL (See AllegroGL addon) you can have cheap cross platform software and hardware rendering. Blending support is ok, but is based on an old plugable blending architecture, so it could be faster, and there's an addon 'fblend' to remedy's this.

Comparing it versus PTK, I know a guy who has refresh issues running Allegro app's (unless they're in GDI rendering mode, or maybe GL), where I seem to have problems with input in PTK app's (rather I've had 2 games almost miss a roundup review from me, but thanks to some voodoo magic, I can get them to go).

6. dima

Original Member

I guess I'll stick to using HGE for now, the thing is great so far. Going to wait for Reflexive guys to integrate AntiGrain into SDL, hint, hint, HINT :)

7. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

BlitzMax is OGL based, Torque2d should support both DX and OGL, as Torque Game Engine does, since it's built upon it. Actually I heard that all T2D stuff is rendered as a TGE GUI widget, so that would make easy adding 3d backgrounds to 2d games.

8. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Kyra handles both OGL and software rendering transparently so that should give a good fall back for people with bad OGL drivers.

Is Torque2D hardware only? does anyone know?
    (not that it makes much difference either way, I'm just curious)

9. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

T2D only has hardware rendering (DX and OGL).

Anyone interested in Torque2D go read these two plans from Josh Williams @ GarageGames, where the engine is extensively described. The more I read about it the more shocked I am. :)

10. baegsi

Original Member

Damn, I want to make 2D games, and being still in the process of finding the right tool, the two most promising all-in-one-package candidates are still not available: BlitzMax (don't have a Mac) and T2D... :mad:

That's so unfair, making my mouth water and not telling anything about the release date except: "very very soon"... Maybe we should start betting on this. Reading the last plan I'd say the EA version is at least 1-2 months away...

11. tentons

Indie Author

With Torque2D coming, it invalidates all other offerings IMHO. That might not be the case if it wasn't cross-platform. If it lives up to the claims, there will be no need for any other 2d engine, plus you can move into 3d pretty easily and with no other license needed.

From what I understand, the release is a matter of weeks rather than months. I sure hope so! I can't wait. :)

12. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'll bet it's out before GDC (March 7-11) (the early adopter version anyway).

I don't have any paticular insight into this issue, it's just an educated guess.

13. Cartman

Indie Author

Baegis - BlitzMax is available for Win32 right now, however it is not the final release. It's a very stable beta. They don't advertise that it's available on their web site. However if you go ahead and buy the Mac Version, you immediately get access to the Win32 beta. That's what I did, and I've been using it since December.

For those interested in Torque 2D. I've seen the last beta on it and it's still far from complete in my mind. The documentation needs a tremendous amount of work. That being said, it will be a tremendous product when finished.

14. baegsi

Original Member

Yeah, but I'd like to try before buying it, I just started exploring Blitz and don't know if it would be the right kind of tool for me. Maybe I can use the mac emulator...

15. bentlegen

Original Member

Just what is that comment based on? Because it's being developed by the folks at Garage Games? Last I checked, a good chunk of people on this board bought Torque engine licenses, and most of them consider it the worst $100 they've ever spent. Why should this be any different?

Too early to tell. Everything sounds great in .plan files.

- ben

16. Triple_Fox

Original Member

I'm also in the "doubtful" category. Anytime anyone says "full-featured engine" and "easy to learn" in the same sentence I'm doubtful - because I know that just can't be the case. Engines are always hard to learn unless you're the one that built it in the first place. Since I don't feel I have much experience working with lots of preexisting code....I'm avoiding Torque and kin for the moment. If I wanted to do 3d I'd probably go to Blitzmax first.

17. dan

dan
    Original Member

I'm more interested in Torque 2D than the old Torque. By its nature, a good 2D engine should be more flexible to different game types than 3D engines.

But yeah, we'll see what they deliver. Still married to C++, DirectX in our current game, I'm just hoping Torque 2D is good and version 1.1 shows up in the next few months. :cool:

18. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

I think T2D will be good for people that don't know C++. After all, if you have to learn a language to make a game, might as well learn on something that gives you an immediate platform for doing what you want. I think T2D is really competition for Blitz, not for the C++ libraries like PTK. I can't imagine using Torque 2D. I'd have to learn the scripting language, have to learn the platform, and be saddled with tons of things I may not actually use in my game.

One of the problems with it, as I've heard from people who've seen it (they didn't necessarily think it was a problem, but I do), is that you still have to understand to some extent 3D concepts. You can't just think in pixels on the screen.

Having said all that, I will probably get a copy, just because the demos I've seen look really damn cool.

19. illume

Original Member

Hey.

I'll do a pygame version once people have the images, and specs ready.

20. rodent

Original Member

How much are speed and fancy effects a real issue? How much do we really need them?

I wasted a lot of time and energy looking into all the engines. SDL, Allegro, PTK etc etc. All I got was stress and confusion. And in the end I came to the conclusion that I don't really need real time rotation or even hardware accelerated alphablending for my coming projects. I also came to the conclusion that I don't even need to be cross-platform at the moment. All I needed was simple 2D rapid development stuff with easy and fully functional systems for sounds, networking etc, and that the engine would be solid and low on requirements.

I went and bought BlitzPlus on a whim. Haven't looked back a second.